PDA

View Full Version : Next gun - AN AR - buy, build, educate me

beefcake
01-13-2012, 01:02 PM
I have a few handguns and have become decently familiar with them.

I've been shooting with Bill and Keith with their guns once each.

I want that to be my next gun.

Bills has the ability to use 22's as well to keep some costs down for casual shooting.

Keiths gun is pretty cool, it's loud as hell ( the range says it's the loudest gun that comes in there), and it has a laser / red dot. It doesn't go down range, but sits in the site.

The first time I shot it at 30 yards, i told him i don't think i even hit the target, felt like i was all over the place. To my surprised, i had put all but one out of the clip in center mass.

Hunters has a bunch of ar's, but i really don't know what to look for in a gun.

It will be mostly used for target shooting in the 30 yard + range.

I'm thinking i'd like a scope, but i really liked the red dot. not sure what's more effective.

As far as building, i don't know anything, and don't know much about purchasing online and wouldn't have a clue where to start

blue5.8
01-13-2012, 01:11 PM
hu8nters den is a great place to but i have bought all my guns there including a AR with a red do great guys to deal with

Moody
01-13-2012, 01:26 PM
I have DPMS M4 style AR15. It was around 800 when I got it in 2004. If you plan on shooting within 100 meters a cheaper AR will be fine like a bushmaster. It really comes down with how much you wanna spend. In my gun store there are ARs from 600-2000 bucks. Same goes for the red dots or reflex sights all depends on how much you wanna spend.

jktruckin06
01-13-2012, 01:26 PM
If you are just going to use it at 30 yards you'll be accurate enough with a good red dot. And they are tacticool! As for the rifle itself just get a bushmaster. Nice solid rifle for a good price.

BIZLE
01-13-2012, 01:29 PM
Talk to jason bangingears he has a nice ar for sale
also hunters den has dpms ar flat tops for 599 ive had great luck with mine
also look into the 22cal conversion shoot all day for 20 bucks

beefcake
If you are just going to use it at 30 yards you'll be accurate enough with a good red dot. And they are tacticool! As for the rifle itself just get a bushmaster. Nice solid rifle for a good price.

30 would be minimum i would think, once the new place opens in newtown, they will have up to 100 yards if i'm not mistaken

can you add a red dot and a scope? or are those different sites, i'm clueless

Moody
Personally I wouldn't buy a scope unless your shooting past 300 meters. The red dots are just fine up till there.

Pops Fun
01-13-2012, 01:38 PM
Hi
Can't tell you build or buy, don't know?? I own a S&W MP 15 and am happy with it!! I have a scope on mine... can still use the iron sites for close stuff!! thought about a red dot have one on my crossbow. There pretty nice.

You can put about anything on an AR. Very customizable. In general they have a rail that you can mount about anything on.

Steve

beefcake
01-13-2012, 01:39 PM
Hi
Can't tell you build or buy, don't know?? I own a S&W MP 15 and am happy with it!!

Steve

they have an s&w at hunters den too, i liked the feel of it. it seems like s&w is turning out to be my Mustang of guns lol

jktruckin06
01-13-2012, 01:42 PM
I've never seen a scope and red dot as one unit... there are ways to mount and use both simultaneously though... and it's cool as hell! Like moody said, options and prices are limitless.

BIZLE
01-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Hi
Can't tell you build or buy, don't know?? I own a S&W MP 15 and am happy with it!!

Steve
I have the same gun but mines a 15-22 i think its the most accurate gun i have ever shot

SCHMUCKINGHAM
01-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Build it, you will spend maybe the same or less than an off the shelf rifle and get everything you want. Buying off the shelf rifles are nice but some things you will want to change, now this is taking into consideration that your not going to go out and buy a POF or Noveske type high dollar rifle.

As far as optics go you could go with a red dot and a 3x behind it or if that isnt to your liking than run a Leupold with a 0-3x choice. Personally I am a fan of the ACOG TA31 and a offset red dot setup but go with what comfortable to you.

Moody
01-13-2012, 01:53 PM
+1 for ACOG. i had one on a M249 in Afghanistan, with the ACOG it was pretty much a belt fed sniper rifle.

beefcake
01-13-2012, 02:19 PM
so how do you go about building? what kit do you buy? etc... isn't buying online tricky?

SCHMUCKINGHAM
01-13-2012, 03:01 PM
so how do you go about building? what kit do you buy? etc... isn't buying online tricky?

Only tricky part is the rifle lower, that is what is considered the firearm. Since it is a firearm it needs to be shipped to a licensed FFL dealer, some places charge for it to be shipped there and others do not ( most do unless you know someone). Once you have that and its registered your good to go on buying parts.

I like Spikes Tactical for their pieces parts, good uppers/lowers and well priced. As far as a parts kit goes i have used some Double Stars with no issue if you want a generic parts kit. If your going high end trigger than thats up to you on who or whom to buy from.

You will need these parts:
Upper
Lower
parts kit ( this included trigger etc.)
bolt carrier/ firing pin
bolt with ( can be purchased as a carrier group which is bolt carrier/pin/bolt)
buffer
buffer spring
buffer tube
stock ( you can get an adjustable or a M16 style non adjust)
barrel w/ barrel nut.
handguards or free floating rail
gas block
gas tube
charging handle
muzzle device

Now with the has block make sure that the gas block is pinned to the barrel. the gas block is the heart of the blow back system and you dont want it moving around. You can go with an A2 style pinned front gas block that also is the front sight, I prefer it but its ugly.

Dirtyd0g
01-13-2012, 03:15 PM
I am interested as well. I currently have a bushmaster with the carry handle type upper. I would much rather have one I can put a scope or a red dot on. I plan to buy parts and upgrade mine eventually buying enough to build an entire rifle and have 2, possibly sell the bushmaster. I have also considered the 7.62 x39mm conversion but not sure on that. when I was lookign at it the ammunition was priced different and now the .223/5.56 nato stuff is about the same price. A 22LR conversion would be a ton of fun.
Recommendations on parts would be appreciated. For those that have done it how about links to parts you prefer or used.
Alan

jktruckin06
01-13-2012, 03:19 PM
dirtydog if you want something in 7.62 just buy an ak and beat it like it's not yours lol. those .22 coversions are neat, has anyone played with the .410 conversion yet?

Dirtyd0g
01-13-2012, 03:31 PM
I have an sks already. I have to tell you the SKS spits out rounds 4x as fast as the ar-15.
Alan

Black92LX
01-13-2012, 03:49 PM
My suggestion is build one. You will save a little bit of money and be able to customize it easier. Plus it gives you a far better understanding as to the inner working of the gun.

1st place to start is here:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/learn/
Great step by step videos on how to build. It's very simple.

2nd step head up to Middletown Aimsurplus for your stripped lower.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1SASL&name=Surplus+Arms+%26+Ammo+LOW15+Stripped+AR+Lower +Receiver&groupid=11
You are local so you can pick it up and fill out your form and be on your way just like purchasing any other firearm.

3rd step (this can be ordered by anyone anywhere no government forms.)
What part kit configuration do you want???
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/rifle-kits.html

Put it all together and you are good to go.

SCHMUCKINGHAM
01-13-2012, 03:58 PM
I am interested as well. I currently have a bushmaster with the carry handle type upper. I would much rather have one I can put a scope or a red dot on. I plan to buy parts and upgrade mine eventually buying enough to build an entire rifle and have 2, possibly sell the bushmaster. I have also considered the 7.62 x39mm conversion but not sure on that. when I was lookign at it the ammunition was priced different and now the .223/5.56 nato stuff is about the same price. A 22LR conversion would be a ton of fun.
Recommendations on parts would be appreciated. For those that have done it how about links to parts you prefer or used.
Alan

Spikes makes a nice .22 conversion. Also a lot of places make a carry handle mount for some optics.

My suggestion is build one. You will save a little bit of money and be able to customize it easier. Plus it gives you a far better understanding as to the inner working of the gun.

1st place to start is here:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11004/learn/
Great step by step videos on how to build. It's very simple.

2nd step head up to Middletown Aimsurplus for your stripped lower.
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1SASL&name=Surplus+Arms+%26+Ammo+LOW15+Stripped+AR+Lower +Receiver&groupid=11
You are local so you can pick it up and fill out your form and be on your way just like purchasing any other firearm.

3rd step (this can be ordered by anyone anywhere no government forms.)
What part kit configuration do you want???
http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/rifle-kits.html

Put it all together and you are good to go.

Very good info here as well

ibstrokin
01-13-2012, 04:34 PM
Check out Rock River, I bought their "Tactical Operator", it was $1k, but it has a lot of features. I was going to build, but they had everything I wanted for less than I could build it for. It has a nice collapsable stock (most look cheap) hogue grip, 2 stage trigger, chrome bolt carrier, quad rail, folding sights, nice flash hider, large trigger gaurd, choice of rear sight, and two mags.

Pops Fun
01-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Like any purchase decide what direction your going first... I have a collapsible stock on mine, my son has a solid stock... like the solid better...

Shoot some and talk to people before buying parts..

Like a car it cheaper to have a plan than just throw parts :)

bangingears
01-13-2012, 07:09 PM
I would say build one also. If its your first AR buy one and make some changes to it. The reason being is, if you are not familar with terms, brands, differences, proper techniques you will spend more money building a base rifle then just buying one. You will forget a few items and the cost will be more, and buying stuff twice because you dislike the item. You can buy a quality rifle for 800-1000 bones. Place in columbus sells a m&p sporter for $599, spend $100 on a 2 stage trigger, and $400 on a new eotech 512 HWS and have a very capable weapon inside 150 meters. Spend some money on quality optics and not junk, they can make a POS gun faily accurate, and POS optics can make a 20'' barrelled match gun shoot like shit.

Black92LX
01-13-2012, 07:18 PM
For your first AR there is no reason to spend any money on optics.
Learn to shoot with iron sights first.

While optics are good and all they make you lazy, easier not to start bad habits then break them.
Learn to shoot the rifle first. Get the skill of shooting down then if you want spend some coin on the optics.
I don't run optics on my AR and see no need for them. Shoot just as well with my irons.

I know plenty of folks running optics that are good shooters. Break the optic or battery dies, bye bye shooting skills.
Optics can become too much of a crutch if learned on them.

bangingears
01-13-2012, 08:16 PM
For your first AR there is no reason to spend any money on optics.
Learn to shoot with iron sights first.

While optics are good and all they make you lazy, easier not to start bad habits then break them.
Learn to shoot the rifle first. Get the skill of shooting down then if you want spend some coin on the optics.
I don't run optics on my AR and see no need for them. Shoot just as well with my irons.

I know plenty of folks running optics that are good shooters. Break the optic or battery dies, bye bye shooting skills.
Optics can become too much of a crutch if learned on them.

while I agree, for your average "joe" going to shoot once a month, its no fun if you cant stay on target, and at .22-.25 cents a trigger pull, it gets expensive too.

Bman
01-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Build you can up grade parts as you go. It's really easy like a lego set with a 1/2 dozen springs. You tube is your friend.

93cobra
01-13-2012, 10:17 PM
I'd buy a nice complete multi cal lower (@250) comes with buffer tube & cheaper plastic stock/grip...buy magpul ctr stock/ grip (@ $100) "ebay plastic stuff for $35 or keep" then buy a DPMS 556 complete upper online (@$400) buy a quad rail (@$50) "ebay stock plastic for $25 or keep" buy a NcStar MarkIII tactical 3-9x42 scope with red dot combo ($160ish) and you have a nice complete 556 for under grand complete with scope / red dot & nice stock/grip/quadrail. Same gun complete bought at store usually $250-300+ more. "No the scope is not a trijicon but plenty good for few hundred yards"

RIXXX93GT
01-13-2012, 11:43 PM
I like my RR EO2. Its about a pound heavy, so Im looking at getting or building a lighter setup. The great thing is the interchanging of parts. AIM Surplus in Middletown has stripped lowers for $59.00, thats the part you need the paperwork for. Everything else can be had online. I for one think the Palmetto State Armory, Bushmaster or S&W 599.00 deals are hard to beat. You can always build your dream gun next after you have figured out all the changes you want. These guns wont be around at 599.00 next year for sure.

Dirtyd0g
01-14-2012, 01:11 AM
I will have to call them and get a setup going. The more I think about it the more I want to build a 22LR AR-15. I'd like it to be pretty accurate because as mentioned it isn't fun if you can't put it where you want it. A box of 22LR's costs as much as a box of .223 or 5.56nato and has a whole bunch more ammo in it!
Would be really fun fully auto but I don't feel like the hassle of all that so I'll stick to semi.
Alan

93cobra
01-14-2012, 01:17 AM
I will have to call them and get a setup going. The more I think about it the more I want to build a 22LR AR-15. I'd like it to be pretty accurate because as mentioned it isn't fun if you can't put it where you want it. A box of 22LR's costs as much as a box of .223 or 5.56nato and has a whole bunch more ammo in it!
Would be really fun fully auto but I don't feel like the hassle of all that so I'll stick to semi.
Alan

I have an identical twin 22LR along side of my 556. At first I just had a complete 22 uper & would swap out in a whopping minute with the 556 upper then I put another complete gun together to match...was going to mention this to beef earlier...$250-$300 and you have your 22 upper and have 2 guns etc depending on what you want to shoot.

90stang
01-14-2012, 03:23 PM
Another Good place to look is ar15.com

98stangv6
01-14-2012, 04:40 PM
I am building one right now using a complete kit from a company called Del-ton. Check them out. If you just want a fun AR to take to the range, I would look at the Doublestars that are made in Winchester, KY. I think Buds Guns has the flat tops right now for $659. I use a Bushmaster for work and comparing it to the Doublestar, the Doublestar had a better fit and finish. The only downfall was the Doublestar is a chromemoly barrel instead of chrome lined, which is no big deal for plinking. For the price you can't beat them. Throw a $150 Vortex Strikefire red dot on them and have fun.

93cobra
01-16-2012, 12:30 AM
dirty dog...clean out your inbox, tried sending another pm...wouldn't take.

93cobra
01-16-2012, 12:31 AM
To Dirty Dog:
Sorry I looked right past the "22 upper" in your heading before asking what you want to do..duhhh!!
If you already have a standard AR 15 in higher cal. all you need is the complete 22 upper, 2 pins in & out...and you are shooting 22s. I bought this: http://chiappafirearms.com/product/771 from a guy who has a small gunshop up in dayton area that I met at one of the sharonville bill goodman shows. He sold it to me for $275 cash out the door brand new, came with 2 28rd clips. Seems to work really well. I know he sets up at all the sharonville shows...i think he was called practical to tactical or something...decent guy
Johnny

Dirtyd0g
01-16-2012, 12:47 AM
I will check it out thanks, I cleaned out the pm's sorry about that.
Alan

93cobra
01-16-2012, 01:11 AM
I will check it out thanks, I cleaned out the pm's sorry about that.
Alan

:bigthumb No prob. Like I said before in earlier thread last week. At first I would switch uppers depending on what I wanted to shoot & later just put together another complete gun. Now I have twins "different scopes" with same accessories & goodies one 22 / one 556