PDA

View Full Version : Computer gurus advice needed

93hulk
01-17-2012, 02:15 AM
I was wondering if there is any good free anti-virus software out there. My Norton and Webroot both expired the other day and i dont want to 50 bux for another year.

smytty
01-17-2012, 02:39 AM
Go to Pcworld.com
AVG or Avast are real good.. I had AVG for a long time till the latest update and it gave me issues...
I have Avast now and it does real good... Updates everyday... Both are free

Jake
01-17-2012, 02:39 AM
some internet service providers provide customers with free anti-virus.

Rick93coupe
01-17-2012, 02:51 AM
I run Avast on 4 computers here at the house and haven't had any issues. Get the free version from Download.com
Pay attention when you install it, it may ask you if you want to install additional toolbars, just uncheck them if you don't want them to install.

redfirepearlgt
01-17-2012, 06:13 AM
AVG is a good one. Also download Malwarebytes free version. It has saved me a few times. You will need to run it manually as a cleaning tool from time to time being he free version does not monitor live. I run ESET NOD32. It is a cleaner software packet than NORTON. Norton IMO has become too much. THe package slows systems way down especially for those running Vista. Just talked to a guy last week having speed issues. He removed norton (you will also need to downoad the removal tool from nortons site before any other antivirus packet will load btw) and after removing norton and loading eset nod32 the computer came to life. That's my .02.

Oh and I am no guru, I just happenend to recently help a guy with this problem at work.

mustang8998
01-17-2012, 07:53 PM
Just spend the $50, ya tight ass!

:lol:

zoomie
01-18-2012, 01:07 AM
Best free ones are avira and avg I use avira almost exclusivly along with superspybot sweeper avg as backup, never had a virus yet

DSSKing68
01-18-2012, 07:18 AM
+1 for avast...I have used it for years. They are one of the few anti-virus programs that have a boot sector scan, that allows you to do a scan BEFORE the virus has a chance to load and run.

I used it on my entire network at the flight school, and never had an issue. I finally decided to throw them some money when I got my new laptop, and actually subscribed. You wont be disappointed with Avast.

Katmandu
01-19-2012, 01:04 AM
AVG is a good one. Also download Malwarebytes free version. I use AVG Free Addition on every PC, smartphone, table I own or set up for people. NEVER have had 1 virus! Ever! :bigthumb

Download it here....

http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-file-dm-triavc.tpl-stdfull