PDA

View Full Version : Need some computer help

Black Horse
01-26-2012, 07:31 PM
I'm having issues with my desktop computer. It keeps rebooting at will at no particular time and without warning. I did the whole dusk cleaning and assuring the hardware is all hooked up and connections tight. Its a soft boot (the fans never stop). It has been getting worse over the last while and is now to a point I can hardly use it.

I ran multiple spyware/virusware software, did the disk cleaning and de-frag. Cleaned up the registries, etc.

I can't see if it happens during any particular program booting or background operations, it is completely random.

I was able to back-up all my files without issues (thank goodness).

To me it seems like an overheating issue, power supply variation, or something like this.

I'm running XP Pro. It's about 8 years old (yeah its about time for a new one).

Anyone have any ideas or know who I might take it to?

zoomie
01-26-2012, 08:08 PM
From sounds of the caps on the board are going and or are gone. If you want I can custome build a new one for ya.

redfirepearlgt
01-26-2012, 08:15 PM
Yip, agree. Overheating and likely leaking caps on the MB or a possible faulty PSU. There is one other possibility to consider however before spending lots o money The on switch on computers has been known to become flakey and arc causing a reset or if the reset is a separate button it can be bypassed in the event it is failing intermittently. THis is not common but has been known to happen on rare occasions. Best bet ----- you got your money worth and its time to either build a new one or take a ride to the local computer store and get a new one. Good luck. Not a virus, malware, or other form of issue to me. I had a motherboard do the same thing just inside warranty. Bought a new PC and awaited return of the reapired MB. Have never put it in a machine to test it out since I got it back a year ago. Yeah I know what a waste of shipping. Good luck.

Black Horse
01-26-2012, 09:46 PM
I'm still going through my diagnostic thoughts. With an older computer you think the grease between the heat sink and the CPU might be dried-up? It would be an easy task to clean and re-grease.

I am also wondering if the RAM is causing issues. I'll have to pull it and run without or at least clean the contacts.

I am also thinking that I could be overclocking....not sure if things slow down (CPU) but still being asked to run at warp speed......not sure how to check or reduce clock speed. (help!)

The other thought is the power supply is taking a dump......not sure what is behind the silver box, I would think fan control power would be separate from the processing power, unless there is enough draw or a blip to cause the processor to reboot without affecting fan running.

The more I deal with this shit, the more I like welding!

Paul408Notch
01-26-2012, 10:26 PM
I'm fairly sure that if it's an overheating issue, you'll get a warning of some sort. The heat sink compound doesn't usually dry up, but I'd at least make sure the heat sink is secure and the fins aren't clogged up with dust. Have you taken it out and blown the dust out of it recently? That will cook them pretty quickly.

Otherwise, I'd guess power supply. You can get them pretty cheap at Micro Center, and assuming you don't have a big monster video card or something, you can get by with a 350-400W model.

zoomie
01-26-2012, 11:29 PM
Depending on the manufacture heatsink compound can cook, mainly amds though.
If a computer gets too hot it simply shuts down,and will fail to reboot till cooled.
Do clean the dust out, its always a good idea. But your symptoms are just like my old dell when I opened it up a cpl of caps where swelled up. If the power supply was shot it simply won't turn on at all.

Katmandu
01-29-2012, 09:52 AM
I'm fairly sure that if it's an overheating issue, you'll get a warning of some sort. The heat sink compound doesn't usually dry up, but I'd at least make sure the heat sink is secure and the fins aren't clogged up with dust. Have you taken it out and blown the dust out of it recently? That will cook them pretty quickly.

Otherwise, I'd guess power supply. You can get them pretty cheap at Micro Center, and assuming you don't have a big monster video card or something, you can get by with a 350-400W model.X2.

I'd first take out the CPU, clean off all the old compound and reapply new compound.

Power supplies are under $20.