PDA

View Full Version : Head questions

motox159
01-28-2012, 06:36 PM
I got a 302 and C4 with 33,000 original miles from a 69' Merc. Montego. Originally I was going to drop a 351C in my F100 but I got this motor an trans for free. My question is what do I need to get done to the heads? Was pretty sure that the 69' didn't have unleaded gas...an I hear the heads will ping like a mother. Do I need valve seats installed? Not really sure what I need to do to drop this thing in. The rest of the motor I just need to go thru. New freeze plugs, cylinders honed out, gaskets...it sat in an old barn for the last 35 years since my dad wrecked it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

zoomie
01-28-2012, 08:51 PM
We'll for starters a set of explorer gt40 or gt40p heads would be the way to go, even a set of e7 heads would be an upgrade over the stock 69 heads unless they are 289 hi-po heads
in which case drop in bigger valves, get some port and bowl work done , some bronze valve guides, and a nice multi angle valve job.

rollingthunder
01-28-2012, 10:21 PM
what's the compression ratio??

motox159
01-28-2012, 10:58 PM
9.0:1 is the compression ratio on it stock. I really don't want to modify it in any way other than getting rid of the pinging from unleaded gas. Complete, original, never touched block that does not need bored out. It's a low budget motor for now, just want it to be reliable. Down the road I plan on dropping a built 460 in it. But we all know that consists of building the suspension, brakes...and everything else to handle that.