PDA

View Full Version : Muscleheads, weight loss advice please!

Gstang117
02-08-2012, 07:56 PM
I've made up my mind to start losing some weight. Right now I'm 6'1" 320lbs.
As my father likes to say, I don't eat out of the fridge, I eat the fridge. But I'm looking to stop that. I'm already looking into doing small fist size meals 5 times a day, instead of huge meals. I'm also looking into weight loss pills. Is there any that I should try or that I should stay away from? There's a gym not to far away from the apartment I'm looking at, but there's also a park about the same distance away. I'm not trying to look like Lou Ferrigno, just lose enough so my jeep doesn't lean to one side when I get in.

zippy94
02-08-2012, 08:16 PM
Drink lots of water 2gallons a day atleast, Do low impact cardio, cut out carbs. It will suck for a couple weeks, But you get use to it

91boost
02-08-2012, 08:23 PM
^^^ Agreed just drinking the water will make a big difference.

Buckeye
02-08-2012, 09:11 PM
Read into the Mediterranean diet, you like me are most likely in the beginning stages of metabolic syndrome so you need to do things a little different than a normal slightly overweight person to see peak results.

Also Stay away from pills they will make you lighter but only in the wallet

my little pony
02-08-2012, 09:30 PM
Stay away from pills...there is no quick fix. If you do what you said and eat smaller portions,and exercise I believe you will see results. I gave up soda..drank lots of water(sometimes crystal light) and exercised and have lots 15 pounds in 3 weeks. walking is great exercise too. You can do it...good luck !!:bigthumb

Goober
02-08-2012, 09:59 PM
Google the Harris Benedict Equation, it's the base caloric formula that the Insanity nutrition program is based on. I've been doing that for the past few weeks and it's been working. I had similar stats to you (2" shorter and 50 lbs lighter) and I have to ingest in the neighborhood of 3500 calories a day. I've also started a whey protein shake program to serve as meal replacements. Body Fortress ($16 @ Walmart) is what I use, mixed in 1% milk and blended. GNC has a nice shake cup and blender set for $20. Plus I've been doing the Insanity program when time allows. I've been slammed at work and home with moving and everything.

Tabitha
02-08-2012, 10:47 PM
Water, water, and more water. The more water you drink the more your body will push out. Nutrition is 80% of the battle. Don't skip meals! Shakes are great if you get in a pinch. I love Muscle Milk powder, it also has casein in it, slower digesting protein. Weight lifting is awesome along with some cardio. I love this kind of stuff, so good luck to you!!

Oh, and ditto on the pills. Steer clear!!

full force
02-08-2012, 11:07 PM
NUMBER ONE RULE...... Burn more calories then you eat PERIOD.....

MYTH=Pills
FACT=eat less calories works.... carbs are good for you, dont skip anything, just do it in moderation...
FACT=excersise.... as much as you have time too...
MYTH= DIET.....no such thing... simple... burn more then you take in... thats all..
FACT= 15 minutes of good weight training burns same amount of calories as 1 hour of cardio...
FACT= if you bust azz weight training, you get heart rate in a fat burning pulse and burn MORE calories then cardio...

I argue all the time, some guys are good with weights, some are cardio, usually smaller guys can do more cardio, bigger dudes usually better at weights...look around at the gym... look at cardio area...mostly overweight.... by the weights...mostly not and guys in shape... pay attention to that... makes sense..

FACT= Usually hot girls at gym to keep your mind occupied... :)

FACT= Also usually fat chicks at gym that make you wanna puke..:(

Good luck, stick to it and be patient, if you work hard it will pay off...

I go up and down over last 20 years depending on motivation... I was very unhappy with marriage and self a few years back, decided to get back into it.... I ate whatever I wanted...(in moderation) and went out and drank plenty of beer every weekend and still lost 50 lbs in 4.5 months... BUT I BUSTED MY AZZ IN GYM!!! so yes... it works!

full force
02-08-2012, 11:08 PM
BTW, no carbs is bad idea, need right carbs and also the energy they give you to work out... no carbs=no energy to get a REAL workout...

swt99svt
02-08-2012, 11:22 PM
Easy math, bro. 3000 calories is = to appx 1lb. First thing, look up your BMR (basil metabolic rate). That will give you some base numbers on how many calories you actually need to take in to maintain your current weight, while at rest. When walking, working, flipping channels, you are burning calories. If you take your BMR and reduce it by 300-500 calories a day in reality you're burning/taking in near 1000 calories fewer per day.

From that, you're losing appx 2.5lbs per week. Eat WHATEVER you want but just eat less of it. Carbs aren't bad. Lots of carbs are bad. Water is good, too much water is NOT good (water poisoning).

It's all about moderation and balance. Once you get in a routine of counting calories you'll be able to look at something and know how many calories the product/meal has. Takes time. Your health is worth your time.

full force
02-08-2012, 11:28 PM
Easy math, bro. 3000 calories is = to appx 1lb. First thing, look up your BMR (basil metabolic rate). That will give you some base numbers on how many calories you actually need to take in to maintain your current weight, while at rest. When walking, working, flipping channels, you are burning calories. If you take your BMR and reduce it by 300-500 calories a day in reality you're burning/taking in near 1000 calories fewer per day.

From that, you're losing appx 2.5lbs per week. Eat WHATEVER you want but just eat less of it. Carbs aren't bad. Lots of carbs are bad. Water is good, too much water is NOT good (water poisoning).

It's all about moderation and balance. Once you get in a routine of counting calories you'll be able to look at something and know how many calories the product/meal has. Takes time. Your health is worth your time.

AGREE 100%

pegasus
02-08-2012, 11:38 PM
give 30min to jog everyday that what I did Im down to 260 from 285

stew95gt
02-09-2012, 12:00 AM
I'll chime in drinking coffee water and tea no sugar use stevia in everything switch to slow digesting carbs whole wheat bread,whole wheat pasta, brown rice, sweet potatoes, oatmeal etc. diet is most the battle. And a lot of things are bad cause how they are prepared. Try to eat every two to three hours. Your body has been using energy all night when u sleep so ideally wake up have straight protein then do cardio in the am burns up stored fat/carbs. After the cardio you want protein n carbs (egg whites and oatmeal mixed with all natural pb goes well) then eat small meals as often as you can it can be hard to eat that often so start small it also helps to prepare meals before hand so ur not trying to search for a healthier meal. You can have dairy but try and stay with protein cottage cheese and Greek yogurt. If ur craving a middle of the night snack cottage cheese is great the bacteria in it helps fight fat. The eating often helps keep your metabolism on kick ass mode all day.
Biggest thing don't forget to slurge once or twice a week not crazy but a spicy chicken sandwich always works ;)

Now for cardio preferably morning out I would start walking/jogging/running pick a distance from ur home that's reasonable say a certain street .5 mile away (or less if needed) now week 1 go there and back week 2 go a street or two farther continue just upping it farther or more intense.

Muscle building this is a great way to start get some elastic bands for strength I think Walmart has a set 20 so. At night while watching tv when a commercial comes on do push ups. Next commercial same. For as long as ou can 30 min or so. next day same thing different body part etc.

If you wanna try that let me know I can give u a more precise muscle building routine but this way is easy and cheap and works you up and up.

94tchikinv8
02-09-2012, 01:07 AM
NUMBER ONE RULE...... Burn more calories then you eat PERIOD.....

MYTH=Pills
FACT=eat less calories works.... carbs are good for you, dont skip anything, just do it in moderation...
FACT=excersise.... as much as you have time too...
MYTH= DIET.....no such thing... simple... burn more then you take in... thats all..
FACT= 15 minutes of good weight training burns same amount of calories as 1 hour of cardio...
FACT= if you bust azz weight training, you get heart rate in a fat burning pulse and burn MORE calories then cardio...

I argue all the time, some guys are good with weights, some are cardio, usually smaller guys can do more cardio, bigger dudes usually better at weights...look around at the gym... look at cardio area...mostly overweight.... by the weights...mostly not and guys in shape... pay attention to that... makes sense..

FACT= Usually hot girls at gym to keep your mind occupied... :)

FACT= Also usually fat chicks at gym that make you wanna puke..:(

Good luck, stick to it and be patient, if you work hard it will pay off...

I go up and down over last 20 years depending on motivation... I was very unhappy with marriage and self a few years back, decided to get back into it.... I ate whatever I wanted...(in moderation) and went out and drank plenty of beer every weekend and still lost 50 lbs in 4.5 months... BUT I BUSTED MY AZZ IN GYM!!! so yes... it works!

^THIS^

The key with your diet is moderation. As said, drinking more water is a good place to start. Stop or reduce your consumption of "empty" calories like pop, beer and other things you don't need. However, you should treat yourself to things you enjoy every now and then, otherwise you are less likely to continue eating healthfully. You still need to eat a balanced diet of carbs, proteins and fats. Don't cut out carbs completely, you will need them for energy. Don't cut out fats completely, use them wisely. If you eat good fats like omega 3 and 6 (found in fish and nuts, respectively), you will be able to eat less because they satisfy you more, and for a longer period, than carbs do. Also try to do little things, grill foods instead of frying them, steam veggies instead of sauteing them in butter, etc.

Definitely reduce the beer intake if you drink. Most people don't know that there are a lot more than the advertised amount of calories in that light beer. Legally, the brewer is not required to disclose calories from ethanol in there nutrition facts. Ethanol is 8 calories/gram. For comparison, fat is 9 calories/gram, and protein and carbs are both 4 calories/gram. If you do the math, even one 12 oz bud light is over 200 calories.

As far as exercise, I would recommend vigorous weight training as suggested above at least 3 times per week. Studies have shown that lifting at least 3-4 times per week and doing cardio will drop more weight faster than doing cardio alone. A good way to keep moving in the gym is to superset exercises working opposing muscle groups so one group is recovering while the other is working. If you do this and minimize rest between sets, you will keep your heart rate up and burn more calories.

I would ease into the cardio, especially running with as heavy as you are(no offense or judgement intended). If you try to do to much too soon and start running, you'll likely end up hurt and still be heavy. I would start with the stationary bike or elliptical since it will be less strenuous on your joints. Start walking, then as you start losing weight and start feeling better, try walking and jogging intervals and work your way up from there.

As hard as it may be, don't try to kill yourself in the gym right off, ease into it. Listen to your body, and stop if you have pain. Use good form when lifting, and rest if you need it.

One last thing, when you do cardio, work hard and sweat. It's my opinion and several others' that the whole heart rate zone thing is a bunch of bunk. You don't want to be approaching your max HR all the time, but make sure you put in a solid effort. Don't be set on staying in the so called "fat burning zone." After a hard workout, your heart rate will stay slightly elevated for a little while after and your body will continue to burn calories for up to a couple hours after your workout.

-Rob

pegasus
02-09-2012, 01:36 AM
how big are you if i might ask.....would gastric bypass make sense for you

full force
02-09-2012, 07:48 AM
^THIS^

The key with your diet is moderation. As said, drinking more water is a good place to start. Stop or reduce your consumption of "empty" calories like pop, beer and other things you don't need. However, you should treat yourself to things you enjoy every now and then, otherwise you are less likely to continue eating healthfully. You still need to eat a balanced diet of carbs, proteins and fats. Don't cut out carbs completely, you will need them for energy. Don't cut out fats completely, use them wisely. If you eat good fats like omega 3 and 6 (found in fish and nuts, respectively), you will be able to eat less because they satisfy you more, and for a longer period, than carbs do. Also try to do little things, grill foods instead of frying them, steam veggies instead of sauteing them in butter, etc.

Definitely reduce the beer intake if you drink. Most people don't know that there are a lot more than the advertised amount of calories in that light beer. Legally, the brewer is not required to disclose calories from ethanol in there nutrition facts. Ethanol is 8 calories/gram. For comparison, fat is 9 calories/gram, and protein and carbs are both 4 calories/gram. If you do the math, even one 12 oz bud light is over 200 calories.

As far as exercise, I would recommend vigorous weight training as suggested above at least 3 times per week. Studies have shown that lifting at least 3-4 times per week and doing cardio will drop more weight faster than doing cardio alone. A good way to keep moving in the gym is to superset exercises working opposing muscle groups so one group is recovering while the other is working. If you do this and minimize rest between sets, you will keep your heart rate up and burn more calories.

I would ease into the cardio, especially running with as heavy as you are(no offense or judgement intended). If you try to do to much too soon and start running, you'll likely end up hurt and still be heavy. I would start with the stationary bike or elliptical since it will be less strenuous on your joints. Start walking, then as you start losing weight and start feeling better, try walking and jogging intervals and work your way up from there.

As hard as it may be, don't try to kill yourself in the gym right off, ease into it. Listen to your body, and stop if you have pain. Use good form when lifting, and rest if you need it.

One last thing, when you do cardio, work hard and sweat. It's my opinion and several others' that the whole heart rate zone thing is a bunch of bunk. You don't want to be approaching your max HR all the time, but make sure you put in a solid effort. Don't be set on staying in the so called "fat burning zone." After a hard workout, your heart rate will stay slightly elevated for a little while after and your body will continue to burn calories for up to a couple hours after your workout.

-Rob

The fat zone thing is right, if you look at machine, it says my taget zone is like 120, fuk that.... I cant keep it there, I shoot for 145-155 for at least 20 minutes, I am more a weight guy to begin with, I have read many times that more then 20-30 min of cardio on same day as weights actually hurt muscle building..

I concentrate on weights, then cardio as I have time, I am very active to begin with, I am not in perfect shape but feel good, look good, and am healthy as of last checkup, turn 36 tomorrow...

Good luck, and again, DON'T GET FRUSTRATED!!! IT TAKES TIME!!

cms91lx
02-09-2012, 08:18 AM
Ive been doing Weight Watchers online since september, Im 6'. Started at 320, down to 270. Eating 3 small meals plus snacks in between, and exercising 5 days a week. I cant say enough good things about the program

qwk93ta
02-09-2012, 08:18 AM
Most people make significant changes to their eating habits and how much exercise they do in the beginning and then give up within weeks. Set small obtainable goals, nothing drastic and STICK to them.

Don't work out like a madman in the beginning, ease into it and continue to workout several times a week for the rest of you life. In time increase the intensity of your workouts. If you are going to run DO NOT buy cheap Kmart shoes, go to a running store and have a professional fit you with the correct shoes. Run in the shoe and if you like them then look on the internet for a better price. You will drop $80 to $100 on a good pair of shoes. Only run a 1/2 mile or so at first and build up to longer run over time.

A few food ideas: eat more chicken and less meat; cut out 2 or 3 items you know are bad for you....maybe french fries; try eating a few low fat items, some are good, you'll have to experiment, almost all fat free foods suck; don't eat late at night.

Good Luck!!!

full force
02-09-2012, 09:17 AM
Ive been doing Weight Watchers online since september, Im 6'. Started at 320, down to 270. Eating 3 small meals plus snacks in between, and exercising 5 days a week. I cant say enough good things about the program

Because WW is what I said.... eat less calories=lose weight, simplae as that!

zippy94
02-09-2012, 09:55 AM
80% diet
10% working out
10% genetics

Chris Lazzo
02-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Try some Lipo Black 4 to 6 a day, Drink atleast a gallon of water a day. No soda, No thing with sugars water only with meals, Cut out white breads, eat lean lots of veggys, remember if theres more food on your plate bigger then your fist thats to much food. Eat snacks during the day like veggys, protein bars, ect that will boost your energy through out the day burning more fat. Thats the first thing to do..... now the hard part carido cardio cardio. Run, stairstepper, 100 situps/crunches everyday, ride a bike ect.

Try some Lipo Black it works. Link below can be bought at most health stores.

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/eM7rtiEUZHxuWAvKPL06gLW7Cg7YoRLrJWoIjMcGxZV6wbzfn0 eKd-QN04lHa1YaDvSboFsutNUtQb-WtYDI17grdo3MiMNvOec53xRkMgkxp-RrxWOF2f5GXahomftzYVLTf1JaUVXf

replicobra
02-09-2012, 12:01 PM
lifting will not make you look like a body builder but, the more muscle you have and use, the more efficiantly your body will burn calories. also google catabolic foods and anabolic foods. you can print out a list. catabolic foods are defined as foods that have fewer calories in them than your body uses to digest them. these are things like apples pineapple, green beans, etc. high in fiber. your body has to "work" to digest them. anabolic foods are weight gainers. full of simple sugars and easy to digest. also many people think that fat in food =fat on belly. it does not. extra carbs do =fat on belly. there are bat fats of course, but you need good fats. things like fish oil, flaxseed oil extra virgin olive oil. (essential fatty acids)these will help lubricate joints and increase metabolism. i don't know how many years it took you be in the shape you're in, but don't expect it to completely change over night. good luck.

Gstang117
02-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Im going to look into the benedict equation and the mediterianian diet. As for the weight loss pills i think im not going to

Gstang117
02-09-2012, 09:12 PM
Use them. im on a pretty tight budget so i may not be getting the gym membership. have not looked at price. thanks 4 the help

Yellow98Cobra
02-10-2012, 12:05 PM
P90X it works

blown96cobra
02-10-2012, 12:18 PM
drink lots of water -NO POP NO ENERGY DRINKS
Eat 4-5 Small Meals per day - alot of lean meats and veggies(steak is ok but dont over do it)
if you eat any breads stay away from white bread try to eat only wheat or whole grain
do alot of cardio and if you lift weights do higher reps with lower weight.
get a protein powder and take it first thing in the am and immediately after you work out. (Ive had great luck with Muscle Milk light)

Hope this helps

qwk93ta
02-10-2012, 12:19 PM
P90X it works

Yes it does.....kicks your ass!

04 Venom
02-11-2012, 01:35 PM
Drink lots of water 2gallons a day atleast, Do low impact cardio, cut out carbs. It will suck for a couple weeks, But you get use to it

Two+ gallons of water a day is excessive and can be dangerous. Adding that much fluid is hard on the kidneys and will raise your blood pressure. Take your advice from medical professionals not from well-intentioned Stangbangerz.

Chris Lazzo
02-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Two+ gallons of water a day is excessive and can be dangerous. Adding that much fluid is hard on the kidneys and will raise your blood pressure. Take your advice from medical professionals not from well-intentioned Stangbangerz.

Indeed don't drink that much, seen a show somewhere maybe Howard Stern had someone drink a gallon in maybe 3 min and died from it. To much is not good fo sho puts the kidneys in overdrive.

redfirepearlgt
02-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Indeed don't drink that much, seen a show somewhere maybe Howard Stern had someone drink a gallon in maybe 3 min and died from it. To much is not good fo sho puts the kidneys in overdrive.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16614865/ns/us_news-life/t/woman-dies-after-water-drinking-contest/

mwaller5672
02-11-2012, 07:51 PM
I had all my teeth pulled out and lost 30 pounds. : ). Of course that is kind of an extreme. Had to have the teeth pulled anyway from ginding them short but hey 30 pounds. Woudn't really recommended it. It hurt

Gstang117
02-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Ive already lost one tooth i hope not to loose the rest lol it hurt like hell after the numbing stuff went away

mwaller5672
02-11-2012, 10:37 PM
They pulled 12 in the top without putting me under and your right. Now I hate the false teeth.