PDA

View Full Version : HVAC help, got a question.

jlt2006
02-09-2012, 07:36 AM
My thermostat is resetting itself to the default tempurature of 64 degrees. Gets a little nipply when it is cold out.

Does it need replaced or is it a thermocouple on the furnace.

Any help or information would be appreciated.

bobtsgt
02-09-2012, 08:04 AM
may be a low battery that is loosing the programmed settings. try replacing it and press the reset button on the thermostat. otherwise you may need a new thermo. the thermo couple could be dirty too

redfirepearlgt
02-09-2012, 12:12 PM
If a gas furnace:

1.) Does the electronic thermostat on your wall indicate the batteries are low or does
the furnace never attempt to fire off though heat is being demanded by the t-stat?
Then replace then as Bob states or replace the failed t-stat.

2.) Does the furnace at least try to fire off when heat is demanded by the T-stat?
a.) Is the pilot light present and the burner ignites then goes out? - likely
thermocouple
b.) If electronic igntor style does the ignitor coil begins to glow red and the
furnace ignites then goes off? Then likely Thermocouple

4.) If again electronic ignitor and the ignitor never glows red or only lights off and stays
light randomly? Then likely the ingitor coil assembly.

All of this assuming the main blower fan is running correctly, and all safety, and purge interlocks are being satisfied prior to attempted ignition of the burner. Good luck.

ponymom05
02-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Not a programmable thermostat, (my heat pump documentation says not compatible), no batteries, whole system is electric.

redfirepearlgt
02-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Not a programmable thermostat, (my heat pump documentation says not compatible), no batteries, whole system is electric.

Heat pump???? hmmmm. Sorry, I have a vague understanding of how they work but not enough to give a lick of direction.:(