PDA

View Full Version : Who all has a Great Dane

96GTAnthony
02-12-2012, 12:22 PM
I was just wondering who all on here has a Great Dane her is a pic of my Great Dane his name is Astro and hes 2 and a half years old.
http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg618/Scheerschmidt/IMAG0030.jpg

redfirepearlgt
02-12-2012, 12:38 PM
Would love to have one, but our house (not to mention back yard HEE HEE) is too small. We love the Dorittos (sp) commercial this year. We have a Boxer (2nd one).

He is a handsome hound, and properly named! Does he do the space walker with you? LOL!!!

06V6Andrew
02-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Would love to have one, but our house (not to mention back yard HEE HEE) is too small. We love the Dorittos (sp) commercial this year. We have a Boxer (2nd one).

He is a handsome hound, and properly named! Does he do the space walker with you? LOL!!!

actually when it comes to exercise these dogs can't do much. them being so big their bones are very brittle and break easily. they only supposed to be out in the heat or cold for around 15 mins because they have no undercoat they freeze or sunburn easily too. these dogs like to lay on soft things only so if you don't want a dog on furniture then he'll need a bed. Astro is a lovable big oaf you have to love him, but he is annoying at the same time.

85_SS_302_Coupe
02-12-2012, 04:50 PM
Great Danes make excellent small space dogs...which is a bit of a shock. They make great apartment dogs as long as you make sure they're house broken and you keep breakables out of reach of their tale. They'll also take over your couch. One of my friends growing up had 6 of them (yes six) and they're like any other dog, just bigger. They eat big, poop big, bark big, etc. I'd love to have one but we already have 2 cats and a chihuahua lol.

87stangbbb
02-12-2012, 04:58 PM
i had a great dane and a pit in my one bedroom apartment

redfirepearlgt
02-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Having seen documentaries on them where the owners own as may as five and each has his or her own loveseat for a lounge chair, water bowls the size of a wash tub and food bowls equally as large I would have not guessed them to be considered "small space"pets. This is good to know however, all the same, their tail would truly devistate my house as small as it is (820 sq ft). Here is my verson of the slightly smaller variety equal in looks, spoiled to the bone, and boneheaded as any 11 year old human boy could possibly be (Shelby is 2.5 years).

http://i842.photobucket.com/albums/zz347/redfirepearlgt/DSC_0014B.jpg

inferno50
02-12-2012, 11:15 PM
All labs here but my mother in law has a dane about a year old and he is a great dog. He looks just like yours. I love big dogs. My next will be a dane or a mastiff. But not for a while.

WCKDGT
02-12-2012, 11:24 PM
Having seen documentaries on them where the owners own as may as five and each has his or her own loveseat for a lounge chair, water bowls the size of a wash tub and food bowls equally as large I would have not guessed them to be considered "small space"pets. This is good to know however, all the same, their tail would truly devistate my house as small as it is (820 sq ft). Here is my verson of the slightly smaller variety equal in looks, spoiled to the bone, and boneheaded as any 11 year old human boy could possibly be (Shelby is 2.5 years).

beautiful boxer! i have a 8 year old boxer named vinny

redfirepearlgt
02-12-2012, 11:37 PM
Thanks WCKD! We adopted him from a member here who offered him up to us after we lost our first (Bailey - reverse Brindle) 2 years ago this March. post up some pics of Vinny. BTW couldn't be a better name choice on this site!:bigthumb

WCKDGT
02-12-2012, 11:48 PM
Vinny he is 8 yrs old and spoiled rotten

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z105/wckdsvt/IMGP0176.jpg
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z105/wckdsvt/cellphone022.jpg

redfirepearlgt
02-12-2012, 11:54 PM
Love that underbite! My first boxer I had when I was in HS (a century ago) had an underbite.

Galaxie
02-13-2012, 08:51 AM
I have some neighbors that have a few Danes . I had a chow but now have a mutt who is a pretty smart dog but loves to dig . I am not big on animals being in the house no matter how much someone tries they still stink . I get the pleasure of climbing in and outta of vehicles at work that are full of hair and smell like piss . I really like the dumbass people who drive around with there dog on there lap trying to see around them makes me just wanna drive right into the side of them .

redfirepearlgt
02-13-2012, 11:00 AM
I have some neighbors that have a few Danes . I had a chow but now have a mutt who is a pretty smart dog but loves to dig . I am not big on animals being in the house no matter how much someone tries they still stink . I get the pleasure of climbing in and outta of vehicles at work that are full of hair and smell like piss . I really like the dumbass people who drive around with there dog on there lap trying to see around them makes me just wanna drive right into the side of them .

x10000 with the lap dog while driving scene!

bestracing
02-13-2012, 11:36 AM
I had a Dane mix and his name was Jersey, as in his colors were like a Jersey Cow!!!

He had a genetic disorder that wouldn't allow cuts to heal properly but we kept him healthy as long as we could. He wound up with stomach inversion and he started to bloat. They Vets recommended against operating since they were afraid that the incision would not heal and have infection set in and causing him to suffer until death. We had him put to sleep since we didn't want to see that happen. He looked like he was in really bad pain and had this sorry look to him before we had went to the vet. My son and wife laid with him until he stopped breathing.

redfirepearlgt
02-13-2012, 12:04 PM
I had a Dane mix and his name was Jersey, as in his colors were like a Jersey Cow!!!

He had a genetic disorder that wouldn't allow cuts to heal properly but we kept him healthy as long as we could. He wound up with stomach inversion and he started to bloat. They Vets recommended against operating since they were afraid that the incision would not heal and have infection set in and causing him to suffer until death. We had him put to sleep since we didn't want to see that happen. He looked like he was in really bad pain and had this sorry look to him before we had went to the vet. My son and wife laid with him until he stopped breathing.

Know that pain. Went through the same when our Bailey had to be put down. Still miss that girl. We just found some old blankets of hers in a closet the other night. Almost two years and the tears came again. Could never imagine the loss of a child. Losing a pet is hard enough.

06V6Andrew
02-13-2012, 01:01 PM
Yes it is crazy how pets get attached. My Chesapeake bay retriever Scooby died in our back yard about two years ago. We had him cremated and put on our hutch.

full force
02-14-2012, 06:50 AM
I love Danes, had one when I was a kid, so gentle for big dogs....

I won't get another as the life expectancy is not long at all, I lost my Shar-pei who I loved dearly to cancer at 7.5 years, that sucked.... I even have a tatoo of her profile on my calf

I now have a huge great looking pea brained boxer, love her, shes fun. inherited her when I moved in my GF, I always wanted a boxer too, now I got one...

Sorry to ad to turning it into a dane/boxer thread... we all love our pea braned boxers too...LOL

MY Pei, Keily...

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e41/86lxmustang/226693_1680496773529_1270838971_1393816_5887334_n-1.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e41/86lxmustang/426597_2589994310399_1270838971_2023590_2096548471 _n.jpg

Jewels...the pea brained boxer....LOL

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e41/86lxmustang/310287_1966698128384_1270838971_1714343_762198609_ n.jpg

BIGRED Z
02-14-2012, 06:53 AM
The bigger the dog....the bigger the dog log!!!:eek:

bestracing
02-14-2012, 09:24 AM
The bigger the dog....the bigger the dog log!!!:eek:

Hey, someone has been jumping my fence and is pooping in my yard....

...Oh wait (see's dog going) Wholy COW Thats MY DOG!!! :eek: :lol:

At least you can avoid the big ones and clean them up easier... :bigthumb

redfirepearlgt
02-14-2012, 10:10 AM
Hey, someone has been jumping my fence and is pooping in my yard....

...Oh wait (see's dog going) Wholy COW Thats MY DOG!!! :eek: :lol:

At least you can avoid the big ones and clean them up easier... :bigthumb

Until that lovely morning they wake up with a case of the hershey squirts! :lol:

5.0calypso93lx
02-14-2012, 10:13 AM

That is an awesome looking dog!

redfirepearlgt
02-14-2012, 10:16 AM
Thanks. BTW saw your g-parents Sunday. They are awesome folks! Still think your gma looks like the lady that plays the aunt in Twister.

Dipstick
02-17-2012, 12:12 PM
We have 3 Great Danes. Best dogs I have ever owned besides my Doberman. Our oldest one is 6 years old, and the yougest is 3 he is blind and deaf! All of them are from here. www.hhdane.com.

evil8
02-17-2012, 01:15 PM
That's funny, my boxer is also named Shelby.

redfirepearlgt
02-17-2012, 03:02 PM
That's funny, my boxer is also named Shelby.

We adopted him with the name already given by the previous owner.

redfirepearlgt
02-17-2012, 03:05 PM
We have 3 Great Danes. Best dogs I have ever owned besides my Doberman. Our oldest one is 6 years old, and the yougest is 3 he is blind and deaf! All of them are from here. www.hhdane.com.

Would love to adopt Payton from the website you have posted, but can only manage one dog at this time that is currently going through some obedience training. Also suspect there would be strife between Shelby and a larger dog in the pack regardless. He seems to wish to stand his ground with bigger dogs and be more submissive with smaller breeds.

evil8
02-17-2012, 03:57 PM
We adopted him with the name already given by the previous owner.

I adopted mine and changed her name. A heavy dose of shock therapy, she actually answers to it.

Katmandu
02-22-2012, 12:09 AM
I won't get another as the life expectancy is not long at all, Very true.

My In-Laws had a Harleiquin awhile back. Big, gentle, lovable couch potatoe!

We had to put him down at around age 5.

He had another common genetic disorder in Danes. They tend to get enlarged their hearts due to respiratory infections. The Vet said Zeus's heart was the size of small basketball.

We used to love watch our tiny Yorki chase Zeus around the property. It was hilarious watching a 10lb dog chase a 100lb dog! :lol: