PDA

View Full Version : window tint

slick04gt
03-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Lookin to get my windows tinted, but legal limit in ohio is 50%. Its not even worth getting the tint at that percentage. I was thinkin a 30/15 % combo and take my chances. Anyone on here have tint in the 30% range get any crap about it from the cops? I had another car done 6 years ago with 30% and never caught any flack but it didnt scream out for attention either. I'm also lookin for a prochamber if anyone has one in good shape. I know that should go in the wanted section but I cant ask for parts yet in that section and it'll be a month before its possible to lol

CNTLOSE
03-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Ohio no longer has a % law. It is now Officer discretion on how dark the tint can be. Basicly if the Officer can not see inside it is illegal. I can tell you OSP will give you the biggest problem of all LE agencies in Ohio.

jktruckin06
03-04-2012, 05:18 PM
I had limo on my rears and 35 on the front of my jeep liberty for 2 years and had no issue. If you're talking about putting this on a mustang you will be under alot more scrutiny I would think.

jktruckin06
03-04-2012, 05:19 PM
Cntlose when did that change? Does that apply for the rear windows now as well?

slick04gt
03-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Yeah it will be goin on the stanger. I work off of fujitec road in lebanon, where theres a OSP office around the corner. Them, the sheriffs and lebanon all kinda battle for that area too.

slick04gt
03-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Last I knew you could tint a 5" strip at the top of the front window, 50% on the front sides and the rear passengers/back glass were at owner discretion.

jktruckin06
03-04-2012, 05:37 PM
If cntlose is right I can't see spending the money and then possibly the next day having to take it off and/or getting a ticket. I'm a chicken though. I'd do it on an suv all day long though.

mad max
03-04-2012, 05:41 PM
I think the osp will be your biggest problem. They are the only ones who seem to take offense to the windows being beyond the legal limit.

SMOKE
03-04-2012, 08:15 PM
Factory window tint is usually in the 15-20% range (on vehicles with rear privacy glass like trucks and SUVs). I tint the windows on everything I drive at 20% and it usually matches up pretty well. The darker the interior is will make a difference as well. I use a guy out of Kettering named Mike and he does by far the best of anyone I have ever used. He has done my last 5 or 6 cars and is actually doing my wifes new Explorer on Thursday this week. If you want, I can PM you his phone number.

slick04gt
03-04-2012, 08:33 PM
Sure, shoot me a number. The last place Ihad mine done was solar shade.

85_SS_302_Coupe
03-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Well knock on wood, but the Vic has limo tint and i haven't been stopped for it yet in KY or OH. Also my Cherokee has a couple shades darker than legal up front and limo in the back and i've been driving that since '03 and only one cop has ever said a word about it and i told her straight up the front was a shade darker than legal and she didn't say anything else about it.

djom1cincy
03-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Ohio no longer has a % law. It is now Officer discretion on how dark the tint can be. Basicly if the Officer can not see inside it is illegal. I can tell you OSP will give you the biggest problem of all LE agencies in Ohio.

I want to see a o.r.c. for that. You have the number?

CNTLOSE
03-04-2012, 09:50 PM
It has been several years. I have been off the streets as a detective for 3 years now and it was at least a couple years before that.

Truck rear windows are excempt as are the rear passenger doors of a four door car. However the key to remember is Officer discretion. Some departments still have a tint meter and will use it as evidence against you. OSP and Centerville are two that come to mind.

CNTLOSE
03-04-2012, 09:50 PM
I want to see a o.r.c. for that. You have the number?

4513.241 Using tinted glass and other vision obscuring materials.

(A) The director of public safety, in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code, shall adopt rules governing the use of tinted glass, and the use of transparent, nontransparent, translucent, and reflectorized materials in or on motor vehicle windshields, side windows, sidewings, and rear windows that prevent a person of normal vision looking into the motor vehicle from seeing or identifying persons or objects inside the motor vehicle.

CNTLOSE
03-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Also should add you can not have reflective tint of any kind.

djom1cincy
03-04-2012, 10:13 PM
I don't know about that. Any search I do says 50% on front Windows.
http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/OH/

1987LXVert
03-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Yeah the osp isn't fond of dark tink at all.

CNTLOSE
03-04-2012, 10:24 PM
I don't know about that. Any search I do says 50% on front Windows.
http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/OH/

Well that is the ORC (4513.241), not what some company put up. That site also says the rear window can be any tint...WRONG. You would be safe at 50%, but can go darker if you wish pending the Officer can still see in.

Another thing to think about is your interior color. A car with dark interior can appear to have a darker tint on it than one with a lighter color. Also the size of the front windshield can matter during the daytime (How much light comes in.)

Many variables it just depends on what you feel safe doing.

thecollector
03-05-2012, 01:43 AM
My ram has a gray interior and 15% tint. Only got stopped once w/ a mach 1 on the trailer behind me. OSP car on 71, just probable cause to investigate where the car came from. After bsing for 15 minutes he told me to have a good day and set me loose.