PDA

View Full Version : Terminator Project...Sorta

CNTLOSE
03-19-2012, 08:31 PM
This is the car I purchased at Beechmont Ford that Terry (Beefcake) listed. When I arrived to look at her, she was parked right where Terry took the photos. I was handed a set of keys, a plate, and told to have fun.

I have owned one other S/C vehicle, and that was a 1998 GTP w/ a pulley change. Car would hit high 13's so for a big heavy Pontiac it was fairly quick. Well that car obviously does not hold a candle to this car.

Took it for a test drive...and honestly I did not beat the hell out of it. Once upon a lifehood before four kids I had a 2003 GT I bought new. I loved that car and sitting in this car was like being in an old friend...only faster. With a nod from the wife the deal was made. :D

So what direction do I want to go with this car? I read for approx. $1200 I can put down over 500 hp to the rear wheels. That sounds like a lot of fun :eek: or being all stock and less than 1k miles leave it as is and enjoy it as is. We plan on enjoying this car so it will get maybe 1k-2k miles a year...if that. Hard to say for sure at the moment, but I am leaning a few bolt ons, namely exhaust and intake. Not sure I want to make the pulley leap just yet. Whatever I do it will always be at a point where in a few hours I could have it back to stock. So this will be probably the most boring "Projects in Progress" thread, but it keeps me modivated.

Here are a couple photos after her first bath. (We bought it before the dealership had even detailed it up.) Love the triple black and for an extra set of wheels may look into some type of Ford Racing wheel in black.

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq336/cntlose92/2004%20Cobra/100_8617.jpg

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq336/cntlose92/2004%20Cobra/100_8619.jpg

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq336/cntlose92/2004%20Cobra/100_8616.jpg

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq336/cntlose92/2004%20Cobra/100_8631.jpg

...we drove it a little bit yesterday. :lol:

jktruckin06
03-19-2012, 08:46 PM
Awesome buy man. I would almost say continue the tradition and keep it a garage queen and bone stock.

If it had more miles I'd say bolt stuff on and get your 500 HP though.

lxenvy
03-19-2012, 08:52 PM
If it was mine id def do exhaust and intake. Has to sound as good as it looks. But something thats full stanless. Thats IMO. Whatever u decide to do it will still be a sweet ride. Grats

CNTLOSE
03-19-2012, 09:06 PM
If it was mine id def do exhaust and intake. Has to sound as good as it looks. But something thats full stanless. Thats IMO. Whatever u decide to do it will still be a sweet ride. Grats

Thanks guys. It will be hard not to do at least the exhaust...this thing is just too damn quiet. :lol: But if I do the exhaust it will be a complete cat-back so I can keep the original intact, incase I would ever want to put it back on.

700hp04mystic
03-19-2012, 09:26 PM
very nice bud. i would do exhaust for sure, but dont waste your money on ca just buy a steeda bolt on filter kit and save a few dollars. if your wanting 500 plus wheel it will cost a good bit more then 1200 bucks. its not hard to do at all but will cost more then that unless u spray it. anyway very nice ride....

chad393na
03-19-2012, 09:42 PM
Awesome car Matt!!

Gearhead
03-19-2012, 09:44 PM
Nice !! :bigthumb

Definitely do an exhaust, 03/04 Cobras are way too quiet with the factory exhaust.

CNTLOSE
03-19-2012, 09:57 PM
Thanks eveyone!

Nice !! :bigthumb

Definitely do an exhaust, 03/04 Cobras are way too quiet with the factory exhaust.

I am shocked at how quiet. My stock '96 Grand Cherokee is louder than this thing. :lol:

Rich
03-20-2012, 05:46 AM
I hate you...

rtvickers
03-20-2012, 06:09 AM
Congrats!!! Nice ride. I would definitly do an exhauts. Prochambered mid pipe and borla stinger cat back. I would also put a brace on the irs just for some insurance. A pulley change will surely give you some more power. Here's a good site where you can do some research and look at different setups to see where you want to go with it. And there is some good videos on youtube. www.svtperformance.com

Good luck and dont hesitate to ask any questions.

IWRBB
03-20-2012, 08:51 AM
The sky is the limit.

Blower mods / upgrades, fuel system, brakes, input shaft/clutch, engine cooling, IC system cooling, suspension... All depends on what you want.

My list went like this: Clutch quad/adjuster, FLSFCs, Borla Stinger catback, intake, drag radials, IRS brace, Whipple 2.3L/60lb inj/BAP at 13 psi, Steeda radiator, Meziere IC pump, Ron Davis IC heat exchanger, Metco X10 10-rib pulley system (upped boost to 15psi), custom caged 4lb lower 10 rib pulley (up to 16 psi). I'm sure I'm leaving out all kinds of things I did.. but that's the major list, somewht in order. I didn't mod it lin the order most people do- but then again, I still have my stock engine. Unlike a lot of those people who melted theirs down and sold the car off.

RWHP wise:

Stock- 368
Intake / Exhaust - 401
Whipple at 13 psi - 501
Whipple at 15 pis - 540 (clutch slipping at 4K and up on dyno).
Whipple at current boost - ?

Best trap speed was close to 125 MPH in mineshaft air.

Next on the list is IRS bushings/mounts from Full Tilt Boogie Racing.

CNTLOSE
03-20-2012, 09:27 AM
I hate you...

:lol:

Congrats!!! Nice ride. I would definitly do an exhauts. Prochambered mid pipe and borla stinger cat back. I would also put a brace on the irs just for some insurance. A pulley change will surely give you some more power. Here's a good site where you can do some research and look at different setups to see where you want to go with it. And there is some good videos on youtube. www.svtperformance.com

Good luck and dont hesitate to ask any questions.

Thanks...and I joined svtperformance the night I bought her. A lot of good information on that site. :bigthumb

CNTLOSE
03-20-2012, 09:31 AM
The sky is the limit.

Blower mods / upgrades, fuel system, brakes, input shaft/clutch, engine cooling, IC system cooling, suspension... All depends on what you want.

My list went like this: Clutch quad/adjuster, FLSFCs, Borla Stinger catback, intake, drag radials, IRS brace, Whipple 2.3L/60lb inj/BAP at 13 psi, Steeda radiator, Meziere IC pump, Ron Davis IC heat exchanger, Metco X10 10-rib pulley system (upped boost to 15psi), custom caged 4lb lower 10 rib pulley (up to 16 psi). I'm sure I'm leaving out all kinds of things I did.. but that's the major list, somewht in order. I didn't mod it lin the order most people do- but then again, I still have my stock engine. Unlike a lot of those people who melted theirs down and sold the car off.

RWHP wise:

Stock- 368
Intake / Exhaust - 401
Whipple at 13 psi - 501
Whipple at 15 pis - 540 (clutch slipping at 4K and up on dyno).
Whipple at current boost - ?

Best trap speed was close to 125 MPH in mineshaft air.

Next on the list is IRS bushings/mounts from Full Tilt Boogie Racing.

Thanks for the info. These are the reasons I decided to go with a newer Cobra. Not too many mods and putting down some serious numbers. Looking forward to getting a stock dyno run and seeing what she puts down.

IWRBB
03-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Honestly, you'd probably have been better off with a 5~10K mile car just to make sure there are no flawed parts in the car.

There were lots of engine failures, halfshaft failures, IRS cover failures, etc. when the cars first came out. Ford dropped 20,000 Cobras on the roads on two years, and all the ones with bad parts stated showing up quick as they were driven hard. So everyone thinks 03-04 Cobras will immediately expolde their IRS cover, grenade both half shafts, snap the 10 spline input shaft, then scuff a cylinder wall. In fact, nearly all of those failures are a decade old at this point. I very rarely hear of people breaking halfshafts, IRS covers, or even losing an engine anymore. Those cars/parts have already failed. The ones that didn't fail- pretty much won't.

So here's hoping your engine is good, your halfshaft's metallurgy is flawless and Ford attached your IRS cover right. :) All that is good on mine!

BTW- don't get a brace for the diff cover- just get a whole new upgraded cover. FRPP has one now as does LPW.

CNTLOSE
03-20-2012, 03:39 PM
Yeah I read about a lot of the issues. For that reason we did get a Ford Warranty covering her for the next few years. I want to make at least a few passes down the quarter mile, but after that it will live most of her days on the street and show field. Of course I say that now, who knows what the future will bring.

qwk93ta
03-23-2012, 01:00 PM
Congrats!! My brother has a 03 Cobra vert....he has a Borla cat-back, it sounds great. I'm going to put one on my 95 GT. You may want to buy some sub frame connectors, his had lots of cowl shake when you got on it. I think his has 11,000 miles on it.

CNTLOSE
03-23-2012, 05:15 PM
Congrats!! My brother has a 03 Cobra vert....he has a Borla cat-back, it sounds great. I'm going to put one on my 95 GT. You may want to buy some sub frame connectors, his had lots of cowl shake when you got on it. I think his has 11,000 miles on it.

Thanks for the heads up. :bigthumb I read that in a couple forums, so I am going to do some research on the different brands and get a set installed.

winner70ta
03-30-2012, 10:49 PM
Nice buy! I miss my red '03 and being it was only the second vert that we owned I can confirm the cowl shake. Was not sure what that was at first LOL! We added a CAI, an aftermarket shifter (no likey the factory one) and a catback. Shopped a bit for the exhaust as on a vert we did not want anything too loud when cruising with the top down.
Bob

NXcoupe
03-30-2012, 10:51 PM
Congrats Matt! Bring it up for some time on the rollers.

Blkcobra01
03-31-2012, 09:31 AM
Congrats nice low mile cobra.

CNTLOSE
03-31-2012, 02:23 PM
Nice buy! I miss my red '03 and being it was only the second vert that we owned I can confirm the cowl shake. Was not sure what that was at first LOL! We added a CAI, an aftermarket shifter (no likey the factory one) and a catback. Shopped a bit for the exhaust as on a vert we did not want anything too loud when cruising with the top down.
Bob

Thanks! Those will probably be the only mods we do to. I am torn on welding subframe connectors on though. With such low mileage I want to keep the collector factor with the car. (Damn SSP's ruined me :D) All the other stuff is just simple bolts, which can easily be switched back.

Congrats Matt! Bring it up for some time on the rollers.

Thanks, as soon as I actually get some break in miles on her I will do that. We are sitting at just over 1000 now.

Congrats nice low mile cobra.

redfirepearlgt
03-31-2012, 04:39 PM
458 RWHP was the last numbers I saw when researching my bug to get one of these. THat number comes in with exhaust/midpipe/CAI/2.8" pulley, and a tuned right.

I gave up lookikng for a vert termi. Cobra after I saw no one was asking reasonable fair market pricing (NADA starting point is where I deal) for them though many have set on the lot in autotrader for 6-12 months.

It looks very nice and hope to see it out and about. No point in owning them if you don't drive them. My understanding is the car was purchased by a man who died shortly after he bought it new in 03 and his wife just recently decided to sell it, which is how it came into the possession of Beechmont Ford. Hope you enjoy it and bring it out to share with us.

CNTLOSE
06-14-2012, 01:38 PM
Did my first mod today...bought tags for it. The temp tags have been expired since April 17th and it has been drove an entire 3 times since I bought it. Well today that changes!!!...lol. I have went over the 1k mile mark at least, so that was the big hump in owning her.

I have on order from the SVT site one of their F***ing Fast Shift knobs. I back up in the air on what all to do. I really want to do the exhaust as it is just way to quite. But at the same time it is nice having such a low mileage original car.

CNTLOSE
06-14-2012, 01:43 PM
458 RWHP was the last numbers I saw when researching my bug to get one of these. THat number comes in with exhaust/midpipe/CAI/2.8" pulley, and a tuned right.

I gave up lookikng for a vert termi. Cobra after I saw no one was asking reasonable fair market pricing (NADA starting point is where I deal) for them though many have set on the lot in autotrader for 6-12 months.

It looks very nice and hope to see it out and about. No point in owning them if you don't drive them. My understanding is the car was purchased by a man who died shortly after he bought it new in 03 and his wife just recently decided to sell it, which is how it came into the possession of Beechmont Ford. Hope you enjoy it and bring it out to share with us.

Yep, that was the story I was told, other than I think the lady might have died and it was sold in an estate sale. I lucked out in that they had all the certificates, books, and SVTOA paperwork behind the driver seat. Only negative was it only came with one key and key fob.

I had also been looking for awhile. It seemed everyone was wanting between $30k and $35K for a super low mileage one, which is why I jumped on this one at $26.9k...and now that I have tags I can actually drive it. :D

redfirepearlgt
06-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Yep, that was the story I was told, other than I think the lady might have died and it was sold in an estate sale. I lucked out in that they had all the certificates, books, and SVTOA paperwork behind the driver seat. Only negative was it only came with one key and key fob.

I had also been looking for awhile. It seemed everyone was wanting between $30k and $35K for a super low mileage one, which is why I jumped on this one at $26.9k...and now that I have tags I can actually drive it. :D

Awesome. Make the GAC revival cruise next month??? More details to come soon.

redfirepearlgt
06-14-2012, 02:03 PM
Did my first mod today...bought tags for it. The temp tags have been expired since April 17th and it has been drove an entire 3 times since I bought it. Well today that changes!!!...lol. I have went over the 1k mile mark at least, so that was the big hump in owning her.

I have on order from the SVT site one of their F***ing Fast Shift knobs. I back up in the air on what all to do. I really want to do the exhaust as it is just way to quite. But at the same time it is nice having such a low mileage original car.

Same with my 13. Going to do the 3.73 gear for sure. Got that lined up with Brian at Finishline Performance. Just gotta seta date to get it in there. They can reflash the factory tune for the 3.73 since it is now an option. THen it will be a CAI/tune amd exhaust for now. Next spring I will add the 302 intake and then it's all about getting the power to the ground. Think I may keep the factory shifter as well.

CNTLOSE
09-18-2012, 09:47 AM
Well my next mod arrived yesterday...a.Steeda shifter. Hope to be picking up an exhaust later this week. I have also decided to eventually go ahead and do the 2.8 pulley mod with all the supporting pieces. Slowly but surely getting things done.

MWoods26
09-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Come pick up the exhuast today:D Sucks you bought a shifter I have a pro 5.0 coming off my car soon Id have made you a deal on. I also went to coilovers in the rear when I did my SRA and Im going to coilovers with my tube K member when my long tubes come in so I will have a set of eibach pro kit springs off my car if your interested.

CNTLOSE
09-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Im still in Columbus for school...but should be able to get with you at the end of the week.

04 Venom
09-18-2012, 11:29 AM
I don't think there is collector value for the Terminator unless you are willing to hold on to it for 20-30 years.

I always believe that you make sure the chassis is done before you add power. I can tell you that full length subframes; lower chassis brace (I believe the convertible has one, but it needs to be stiffer); strut tower brace; lowering springs; and, IRS brackets made a huge difference in my 04 Cobra coupe.

You will get more out of the added power if the chassis can apply it more more effectively.

Marks99gt
09-18-2012, 01:55 PM
Car looks great man. Enjoy it. Thanks for the input on my newbie page by the way. Keep us posted on the progress buddy.

Gongshow
09-18-2012, 05:40 PM
Beautiful car. Drive it drive it drive it! You only live once..... I've been on SVTP long before I owned a mustang. That site is full of entertainment and epic threads.. car forum history has been made over there ha ha ha.

CNTLOSE
09-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Well I have manged to rack her up to just over 1500 miles...lol

We do enjoy driving her, but currently we have three Mustangs. Two SSP's and this Cobra. One SSP is half torn down for a complete restoration, the other is my "semi" DD, and the Cobra is usually for date night with the wife. We never did make it to any car shows, test and tunes, or cruise-ins this year due to our new work schedules. Hopefully next year we will actually be able to make some events.

CNTLOSE
09-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Beautiful car. Drive it drive it drive it! You only live once..... I've been on SVTP long before I owned a mustang. That site is full of entertainment and epic threads.. car forum history has been made over there ha ha ha.

Thanks....that site is what really got my passion back into driving and enjoying her.

Car looks great man. Enjoy it. Thanks for the input on my newbie page by the way. Keep us posted on the progress buddy.

Thanks...and will do!

beefcake
09-18-2012, 10:15 PM
glad your driving it!

jktruckin06
09-18-2012, 10:23 PM
Glad you kept it!

CNTLOSE
09-19-2012, 09:13 PM
Thanks guys. She is a lot of fun to drive...wish we had not waited so long.

beercan5.0
09-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Sweet car!!

CNTLOSE
09-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Sweet car!!

SVT Supra
10-22-2012, 05:27 PM
Great looking Terminator!

CNTLOSE
10-24-2012, 08:56 PM
Great looking Terminator!

Thank you :bigthumb

Magee630
10-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Beautiful car, if/when you decide to change the wheels, ill take the stock chrome ones off your hands.

CNTLOSE
10-27-2012, 10:54 PM
Beautiful car, if/when you decide to change the wheels, ill take the stock chrome ones off your hands.

Thank you. I will still keep the stock wheels if I do get a set of aftermarket ones, but thanks for the offer.

CNTLOSE
11-04-2012, 12:07 AM
Well today I put the Cobra up for the winter. I manged to put just under 1000 miles on her since March. The only mods I did were a Steeda shifter and a F'n fast shift knob...lol. I am in the middle of restoring a SSP so all extra funds are going towards it, plus some maint. items on my other SSP.