PDA

View Full Version : Building codes in City of Cincinnati?

exrider416
04-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Are there any contractor or anyone on here familiar with building codes in the City of Cincinnati? I am looking a buying some property down the street from my house to build a good size garage on, but i have heard you cannot build a garage on a piece of land that does not have a house on it in the City unless the land is zoned Commercial?? I have tried to call the building department but have not gotten through yet. Just seeing if anyone on here might know the answer :bigthumb

cstreu1026
04-05-2012, 03:10 PM
I know in Xenia you can not build an accessory structure on a residential lot without a residence on the property and I would expect that within Cincinnati proper you would have the same restrictions.

cstreu1026
04-05-2012, 03:12 PM
You can find the City of Cincinnati Zoning Code reguarding accessory structures here http://library.municode.com/HTML/19996/level2/TIXIZOCOCI_CH1421GESIST.html#TIXIZOCOCI_CH1421GESI ST_S1421-01ACREST

I take it the property of interest is not adjacent to your home.

cstreu1026
04-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Also, you will need to contact the planning and zoning department instead of the building department.

City Planning
Centennial Plaza Two
805 Central Ave, Seventh Floor
Cincinnati, OH 45202

Phone: 513-352-4845

exrider416
04-05-2012, 11:37 PM
You can find the City of Cincinnati Zoning Code reguarding accessory structures here http://library.municode.com/HTML/19996/level2/TIXIZOCOCI_CH1421GESIST.html#TIXIZOCOCI_CH1421GESI ST_S1421-01ACREST

I take it the property of interest is not adjacent to your home.

No it is not adjacent, it is like a 1/4 mile down the street. Its not looking like it will be able too happen. Calling tomorrow to see what I'd have to do to be able to build one, if it is at all possible

dedpedal
04-06-2012, 08:01 AM
Build a small house on the property and use it for a mancave!

exrider416
04-06-2012, 10:34 AM
Build a small house on the property and use it for a mancave!

I actually thought about trying something like that to be able to get it approved

cstreu1026
04-06-2012, 11:17 AM
I don't know how big of a garage you were looking to build but the size would need to be proportionate to the main structure. I believe the ratio and minimum square footage was listed in the link I posted.

KYGTP
04-06-2012, 10:50 PM
I don't know how big of a garage you were looking to build but the size would need to be proportionate to the main structure. I believe the ratio and minimum square footage was listed in the link I posted.

That is how it is here in N KY. Our code says that a detached structure can not exceed 1/2 of the finished square footage of the main dewling. BUT if it is attached, it can be how ever big you want it to be because it is then like a addition.

I would have to say you will not be able to do what you want to do:(

A good story along these same lines:

My good friend is a building inspector in N KY and told me a story of a guy that wanted to build a very large garage on his property, but it was too big according to the code. He was wanting to place it on the back of his property, about 150ft or so from his house, so to get around the code, he built a covered breeze way, from his house all the way back to his garage.:lol: Believe it or not, but they let it pass, because it was "attached" to his house.

Just gotta find the "loop" holes in the system.

thecollector
04-07-2012, 12:21 AM
My dad is a commercial building inspector in cincinnati. Ill ask him today and let you know.

thecollector
04-07-2012, 02:31 PM
Are there any contractor or anyone on here familiar with building codes in the City of Cincinnati? I am looking a buying some property down the street from my house to build a good size garage on, but i have heard you cannot build a garage on a piece of land that does not have a house on it in the City unless the land is zoned Commercial?? I have tried to call the building department but have not gotten through yet. Just seeing if anyone on here might know the answer :bigthumb

Building codes wont dictate this, its zoning. Unfortunatley you have heard right, no garages on residential properties unless there is a main dwelling. Only way to get around would be build a cracker jack box house on it- could be a rental for you, then use a zoning variance to build a bigger garage. Any surrounding neighbor can kill your dream @ the zoning hearing. Sounds like it may not happen:(

exrider416
04-07-2012, 10:09 PM
well i pretty much know everyone in my neighborhood. The neighbors will not be a problem. Its just i can get about 3 acres of land for DIRT cheap right down the street from where i currently live! So something along these lines would probably work
http://www.barnpros.com/products/garage-shop/images/Denali_Garage_36.pdf