PDA

View Full Version : I need a cowl hood for a fairmont...

Buckeye
04-09-2012, 10:41 PM
So pretty much the only thing I plan to change on the fairmont is adding a cowl hood (needed in order to run a air filter) anyone know of a bolt on hood for a fairmont? how about a bolt on steel scoop? The rest of the car looks great so the hood must maintain the level of quality Ideas?

Plated you up for bonding one in?

plated
04-10-2012, 07:49 AM
yep,if you can't find one,bring your hood up,we'll come up with something for the beast

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-10-2012, 11:05 AM
If nothing else you may look into using a '82 GT style scoop like i have on my car. It gives enough hood clearance that i'm running a Victor Jr. intake and the stock duel snorkel breather with a little room to spare.

Buckeye
04-10-2012, 11:17 AM
It currently has that scoop on it and still no room. I have a 79 pace car hood scoop but don't think I can bring my self to cut it up to use it.

Byrd Man
04-10-2012, 12:41 PM
So pretty much the only thing I plan to change on the fairmont is adding a cowl hood (needed in order to run a air filter) anyone know of a bolt on hood for a fairmont? how about a bolt on steel scoop? The rest of the car looks great so the hood must maintain the level of quality Ideas?

Plated you up for bonding one in?

HO Fibertrends.

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-10-2012, 03:00 PM
It currently has that scoop on it and still no room. I have a 79 pace car hood scoop but don't think I can bring my self to cut it up to use it.

I have one of those too and i really don't think it gives any more hood clearance than the forward facing scoop, in fact i think it's less because of the angle of the cowl sloping down towards the nose. The forward scoop angles upwards and follows the slant of the breather. The front edge of the breather is where you need the most clearance, and with the cowl it's higher in the back.

Buckeye
04-10-2012, 04:52 PM
HO Fibertrends.

They only make a skin that is not even really a full lift off hood. This is a street car so I don't want to screw with any less than a bolt on

Buckeye
04-10-2012, 04:55 PM
I have one of those too and i really don't think it gives any more hood clearance than the forward facing scoop, in fact i think it's less because of the angle of the cowl sloping down towards the nose. The forward scoop angles upwards and follows the slant of the breather. The front edge of the breather is where you need the most clearance, and with the cowl it's higher in the back.

Well that depends on the scoop and also the reason I am thinking of just having Chris install a steal Goodmark scoop so I can slid it forward just enough to work

85_SS_302_Coupe
04-10-2012, 08:11 PM
Well that depends on the scoop and also the reason I am thinking of just having Chris install a steal Goodmark scoop so I can slid it forward just enough to work

Yeah i was talking about the Pace Car bolt on cowl scoops. If you got an aftermarket scoop that's taller, you'll be fine.

Buckeye
04-10-2012, 10:44 PM
Ya the 79 hood curves down at the front so in order to use it I would have to cut on it and I just feel that is wrong lol. Someone at sometime is going to need that for a real pace car or at least a clone

akagreg3
04-13-2012, 10:41 AM
i have a 5" fiberglass i took of my 93 stang, the scoop might be usable? idk i hate scoops thats why i took it off, plus i like the factory look, i would sell it cheap, if you wanted to come get it just to get it out of the garage and way, :cool2: that a nice fairmont tho man i read the post where you bought it :bigthumb