PDA

View Full Version : T5 Comparisons

IWannaGoFast
04-10-2012, 02:32 PM
I am new to the Ford world. I know there are at least 3 types of T5 ford trannys, World Class, Borg warner, and borg warner/ tremec. Is one necessarily better than the other? I also know they came in a variety of vehicles, are there some you really want and some that should be avoided due to reliability or gearing?

As some of you know I am building a Monster Miata, I have my mild 302 and the 8.8 IRS but I still need a T5. I just know absolutely nothing about them and there are only a few posts total in the Drivetrain section. Can Someone school me? I see them for sale from $100-$700 and don't know what I should aim for. There is currently one for $120 out of a Ranger near my Grandparents, but I was unsure if the gearing would suck.

heatmup
04-10-2012, 04:22 PM
There are a few differences, you are correct. I'm no expert but I'll share what I have learned. The term "World Class" doesn't mean better, just that after that period the T-5 was offered on many makes and models internationally. The T-5 was upgraded at that point and can be identified by the bearing race on the front. The T-5 improved through the model years; 87 to 89 being the weakest, 93 Cobra spec being the best. The current FRPP Z-spec offered in the aftermarket has all the Cobra spec upgrades, plus the stronger gearset with the 2.95 first gear. There are many places to get these from $1295 to $1500. You can get an upgraded reman from all over the place. Check with Mike at Dayton Performance, ProMotion, Astro Performance etc....For your car as light as it will be the 2.95 gearset would be sweet. That gearset gets you a slightly better overdrive too.

IWannaGoFast
04-12-2012, 02:58 PM
A useful bit of info that a friend on buckeyestangs hooked me up with:
http://www.moderndriveline.com/Technical_Bits/t5_history.htm

jad0087
04-12-2012, 04:36 PM
t5s are junk, get a tremec....i have one im selling also!

IWannaGoFast
04-12-2012, 10:34 PM
$? and have a bellhousing that will match my 302?

jad0087
04-12-2012, 11:10 PM
its a tremec 3550 tko II...I have the tranny itself, bellhousing, Triax shifter, dual friction centerforce clutch, Ford racing aluminum driveshaft, all for 1300, it shifts perfect, no grinds, no whines, ready to go, still in my car also

IWannaGoFast
04-13-2012, 11:56 AM
Unfortunately at this time I couldn't swing that. I am working with $500ish... It's a budget build. As I get $ I am going to go back and swap things.