PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Amphenol type Mil Spec connectors?

Rick93coupe
04-10-2012, 11:48 PM
I want to customize my DFI wiring harness and use a MIL spec Amphenol type connector at the firewall, do any of you guys have experience with them and the tools needed to insert the wires into the plugs? I see you can get them designed to be soldered but with 37-41 pins that looks like it would be pretty difficult to ensure a perfect connection.

redfirepearlgt
04-11-2012, 12:00 AM
There is a special pin crimping tool as well as an insertion/extraction tool needed to work with the aviation style cannon plugs. Had to learn the process years ago but been a long time. I can check with the assemblers at the plant (aircraft engine assembly) and see what they reccommend. As far as soldering, it is not that difficult if you don't rush and you take you time to do it right. Tinning the leads on the wires and prepping the solder cups on the connectors are vital to smooth and solid connection. Second, soldered connections will minimize concern for poor crimping that could occur and cause high restistance issues down the road if not done properly. I can get back to you tomorrow evening either way if you wish me to look into it at work. I am on second shift.

Rick93coupe
04-11-2012, 12:31 AM
There is a special pin crimping tool as well as an insertion/extraction tool needed to work with the aviation style cannon plugs. Had to learn the process years ago but been a long time. I can check with the assemblers at the plant (aircraft engine assembly) and see what they reccommend. As far as soldering, it is not that difficult if you don't rush and you take you time to do it right. Tinning the leads on the wires and prepping the solder cups on the connectors are vital to smooth and solid connection. Second, soldered connections will minimize concern for poor crimping that could occur and cause high restistance issues down the road if not done properly. I can get back to you tomorrow evening either way if you wish me to look into it at work. I am on second shift.

Yeah that would be great. If there's a guy there willing to assemble it for me, I'd be interested in that as well. I can solder, have done a lot on my car but I'd rather have someone who really knows what they're doing for something like this. I appreciate it,
Rick

Whyucryn
04-11-2012, 01:20 AM
Stocknotch on here has one on his car for his big stuff 3 and he loves it. I'm pretty sure him and his buddy wired it all up. Send him a PM and I'm sure he could help ya out

DSSKing68
04-11-2012, 06:16 AM
I have the crimping tools and removal/insertion tools necessary for most amphenol and cannon type connectors. Depending on how many connectors you are going to have, I can fix you up with getting them done, I just need your pin-out wiring schematic. With the proper crimp tool, they are usually better than a solder joint. All aircraft (commercial aircraft) almost exclusively use crimp type pins and sockets. A positive crimp allows for a better connection directly to the conductor, usually less susceptible to vibration and cold solder joints.

Let me know what you need. PM me if you want more info.

redfirepearlgt
04-11-2012, 10:27 AM
Yeah that would be great. If there's a guy there willing to assemble it for me, I'd be interested in that as well. I can solder, have done a lot on my car but I'd rather have someone who really knows what they're doing for something like this. I appreciate it,
Rick

I'll will gladly check and see. DSSKing68's offer may well yield you quicker turn around but will check as promised all the same. Be back in touch tonight.

Rick93coupe
04-11-2012, 07:22 PM
Thanks guys.

redfirepearlgt
04-11-2012, 11:54 PM
Spoke with my A/P licensed engine builder at work tonight. He stated that he only had the insertion/extraction tools and no longer had the special crimp connector used for the pins on amphenol MILSPEC cannon plugs. Sorry I was a bust. He gave his away after he left assembly and came to maintenance. Tried all the same.

DSSKing68
04-12-2012, 06:25 AM
Spoke with my A/P licensed engine builder at work tonight. He stated that he only had the insertion/extraction tools and no longer had the special crimp connector used for the pins on amphenol MILSPEC cannon plugs. Sorry I was a bust. He gave his away after he left assembly and came to maintenance. Tried all the same.

I'll try to get him hooked up. I have all the stuff, just need to look at what he has got.

Rick93coupe
04-14-2012, 01:22 AM

Thanks man, I appreciate you looking into it either way. :bigthumb

Goober
04-15-2012, 12:18 AM
I used to work with those on an hourly basis. They're simple as hell once you get the crimper, especially if the pins are already removed/come in bulk. Are you using the ones with the braided stainless harness covers? There is a neat trick to seal them TIGHT that involves Raychem, wax string, duct tape (no lie, every Abrams ready ammo door switch connector has this) and shrink tube.