PDA

View Full Version : little dog had to be put down...

06V6Andrew
04-22-2012, 04:35 PM
she was an unknown breed but looked like a mix between a dachshund and a lab. i got home friday night to her having pee'd and threw up on the couch...she just looked sick. i ave her a small amount of pepto to cure her stomach and laid her in her cage. after about an hour looking over the internet about what it could be i heard her cage going crazy. i looked inside and she was having a seizure. i got her out of the cage and held her til it stopped and she was ok, still looking sick.

i didn't know what to do so i started calling the vet...they have no emergency contact number up here so i got a hold of no one (this was at 11:00 at night) so i made her feel comfortable and put her back in her cage so in case she had another one she wouldn't hurt herself. at around one in the morning my brother hollers for me she is having another seizure. after that she went form one to another to another. we eventually found a 24 hour vet in cincinnati and took her there at 2 in the morning (we arrived at 330 since the distance was so great) the vet looked at her and said it looks like she got into antifreeze. According to the doctor they can cure it if it was within 8 hours of ingestion which we were way passed that point. so we had the vet make her stop seizing so we could take her home. (was told that it cold be moldy food that could do the same thing and it would eventually pass if it was)

We left the vet at 430 in the morning and by the time we arrived home (6am) she went back in to seizures and then we knew that she had no hope. we put her in her cage, put her in the laundry room so the other dog would not bother her and just had to wait for the local vet to open. the vet opens at 9 am but the vet himself doesn't arrive til 10. The vet stopped her seizures once again and pulled me in to tell me that if it was antifreeze or another man made poison that she had a 10% chance of winning and that if it was anything else she had a 30% chance but she would never be the same again. so i had to make the unfortunate call to put her down.

My other dog is fine and healthy but for some reason she was poisoned. she was a nice sweet innocent dog the weighed all of 13 unds and wold never hurt anyone. i am searching the area for someone with anitfreeze sitting outside their house (she did get out of the yard a few days ago) and i am going to "confront" them with the wraith of god. no person should ever go through that nor animal. it broke my heart watching her suffer i not being able to do this. so i am posting this as a warning because it is hard to find infor about poisons on dogs on the internet, if your dog starts throwing up and walking side ways, take them to the vet ASAP! you might be able to save their life.

RIP Rosie girl i love you and miss you!:angel:

KB1
04-22-2012, 04:39 PM
Sorry for your loss, it's never easy:(.

mustang_gt88
04-22-2012, 05:27 PM
sorry for your loss

Maximus
04-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Life sucks sometimes.

06V6Andrew
04-22-2012, 05:50 PM
yes it does...the thing i regret the most is not having someway of putting her out of her misery. she lasted 12+ hours having seizures...she was a fighter.

mad max
04-22-2012, 07:33 PM
Sorry to hear about that andrew.

redfirepearlgt
04-22-2012, 08:31 PM
Had to put our Boxer down two years ago. We received a blessing from a fellow SBZ who gave us his 10 month old male boxer (long story short) out of his kind heart. We still miss Bailey, but Shelby has helped with that. SBZ has been a blessing to us over the years.

06V6Andrew
04-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Had to put our Boxer down two years ago. We received a blessing from a fellow SBZ who gave us his 10 month old male boxer (long story short) out of his kind heart. We still miss Bailey, but Shelby has helped with that. SBZ has been a blessing to us over the years.

i am glad to have a place to vent my anger and frustration, even if it's to some people i know and i don't know it helps. I am going to wait a few months then probably going to get a Chesapeake Bay Retriever like my first dog was and start all over again. It's funny how you know how much the pain is going to be when they leave but it's worth the time you have with your pet...best friend!:)

heyitsmepugsley
04-22-2012, 09:50 PM
sorry to hear your loss man

sean
04-23-2012, 07:58 AM
That sucks. Sorry the dog and its family had to go through that. Hopefully this makes a few people go make sure if they have antifreeze its stored properly.

90 notch
04-23-2012, 09:08 AM
Sorry 4 the Loss!

DeckerEnt
04-24-2012, 12:17 AM
Sorry for your loss. Pets are members of the family. It hurts, and will but getting a new one helps!!

06V6Andrew
04-24-2012, 08:01 AM
Sorry for your loss. Pets are members of the family. It hurts, and will but getting a new one helps!!yes I will be getting another one when I can find someone around here that breeds Chesapeake bay retrievers

Goldenpony
04-28-2012, 04:59 PM
Sorry for your loss. I had to watch a kitten die of distemper a few years ago. It wasn't pretty.

Katmandu
04-29-2012, 01:29 AM
yes I will be getting another one when I can find someone around here that breeds Chesapeake bay retrieversSorry to hear of your loss of a family member.

Keep in mind it may not have been poisoning and could have been a brain tumor. A fellow co-worker recently had her Jack Russell put down for the same symptoms your dog had. They determined her dog had a brain tumor.

I do have real good news for you!

Another co-worker of mine just happens to have a Top AKC Ranked Chesapeake bay retriever that had a litter of pups last week. NO JOKE. She had (8) total.

I believe some are spoken for, but if your serious about getting one, Email me directly. I'll get you his Contact info.

Katmandu(AT)woh.rr.com

coupegt
04-30-2012, 10:40 PM
sorry for your loss had to do i to my dog about a month ago very hard thing to do