PDA

View Full Version : Gonna Try Boating this summer

tmotorsports
04-29-2012, 09:19 PM
have always wanted a boat,just was always scared to buy one cause of all the horror stories people told me about owning a boat.well i was offered an oppurtunity to get a boat off my oldest brother who is selling his lake house.he sold it to me cheap enough that if its not for me and my family then i can sell it.its a 18 foot 1990 hurricane dckboat by godfrey marine.Its not perfect but its a nice boat for the year.so hopefully ill get it on water by 1st of june

NC89GT
04-29-2012, 09:24 PM
I have been the same way. I look at boats for sale all the time. I just can't get myself to justify the cost since I seem to be busy doing things every weekend. I would have to give something up that I am currently doing. Between Golf, cars and yardwork I don't know I would use it much. Hope you get use out of it.

jktruckin06
04-29-2012, 10:03 PM
BOAT.... bust out another thousand!

They are fun if you take the time to enjoy them.

mustangboy
04-29-2012, 10:16 PM
Boats are no different than cars as far as cost. Its like any hobby, it will cost you money but the people who bitch about boating are the people who don't really love it. I dont think twice about spending money on our boat in fact went out and bought a brand new boat which I will take a huge loss in depreciation but I don't care because we love being on the water so much. In fact I love it so much I sold the mustang because I was never around to use it. I would much rather be at the lake with the family than be at the race track.

Rick93coupe
04-30-2012, 01:42 AM
Gathering parts for my boat right now, no better way to relax than floating in a bay, drinking a beer and taking a dip when you need to cool off!

Chunk94GT
04-30-2012, 03:06 AM
I have a small bass boat, love it. Use it alot, see water time atleast once a week if not twice for many hours. I don't pull people in anyway just fish and sometimes cruise around on it. Never had a problem with it what so ever. Be smart and take care of it and you won't have any problems with them. Winter is your worst enemy with it. Do a good job winterizing it, you don't have to pay anyone, its easy to do, and taken care of the trailer is just as important as the boat to.

Camaro86SHOCKER
04-30-2012, 05:17 AM
Boats are no different than cars as far as cost. Its like any hobby, it will cost you money but the people who bitch about boating are the people who don't really love it. I dont think twice about spending money on our boat in fact went out and bought a brand new boat which I will take a huge loss in depreciation but I don't care because we love being on the water so much. In fact I love it so much I sold the mustang because I was never around to use it. I would much rather be at the lake with the family than be at the race track.

Couldn't agree more. If I could find someone to trade me a really nice boat for my Mustang then it would probably be gone. I've been on a boat most of my life and to me theres no time off like it. I'd rather be on a boat than on the beach.
I have a 26' Bayliner thats a late 80s model and its a little bigger than what id like to have but it's great. I have honestly not put nearly the amount of money in it as I have cars.
I think people get scared of working on their own boats. You can wrap a fortune up in paying someone to do tune-ups and winterize it. Especially if you dont take it out of the water, but really boats are pretty basic and very easy to work on. The biggest expense we ever incurred with our boat was storage because I didn't want it sitting out in the snow and it's too big for the garage. I will always be a boat guy and whenever I hear someone give me the old "B.O.A.T." acronyms I just ignore them and assume they either hate having fun, or have never been out actually boating and having fun.
Boats are great. Hope you enjoy it.

duststang
04-30-2012, 07:27 AM
we really enjoy our boat and the kids love to anchor turn up the radio and swim. we have only own it one season and it does seam like they require a lot of maintenance.

GREAZY
04-30-2012, 09:10 AM
I have been trying to buy one for the last two weeks. I drove 4 hours one way to look at a "perfect" boat, only to find out the floor was soft and the bottom looked like they ran it on concrete.

bkstang95
04-30-2012, 09:15 AM
Boats are no different than cars as far as cost. Its like any hobby, it will cost you money but the people who bitch about boating are the people who don't really love it.

This!

Just like our dumb car hobby...gotta pay to play! And seriously, how many times have you been in a bad mood out on a boat! :lol:

satan jamez
04-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Boats are typically one of the worst investments out there. But damn, who deep down wouldn't want one? :)

Enjoy it!

swt99svt
04-30-2012, 12:05 PM
Nothing better than a boat full of friends, calm water, warm weather.... AND a day in Harmon Creek after the Poker Run.

Be sure to take your camera.

mustangboy
04-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Just like buying any new car a boat is not and investment at least not in the monetary sense. I know I'm gonna lose my ass from a money standpoint but I don't care because what I get out of it is far greater than the money spent. I know alot of people who spend $3-4k to take their family on a cruise or on an exotic vacation. I would never spend that much on a vacation because I'm on vacation about every other weekend in the summer. It is all in what you love and you can't really put a price tag on that.

redfirepearlgt
04-30-2012, 12:37 PM
Just like buying any new car a boat is not and investment at least not in the monetary sense. I know I'm gonna lose my ass from a money standpoint but I don't care because what I get out of it is far greater than the money spent. I know alot of people who spend $3-4k to take their family on a cruise or on an exotic vacation. I would never spend that much on a vacation because I'm on vacation about every other weekend in the summer. It is all in what you love and you can't really put a price tag on that.

Boats, cars, bikes, garages, golf, softball, bowling,......even homes... They all cost money. The return is the enjoyment you get out of them. It's not "work" if you are enjoying what you are doing. Have a blast.

04 Venom
04-30-2012, 12:47 PM
If you use the boat often, you will not regret the investment. After several years of ownership, many people fing that they use it less and less. At that point, it becomes a burden; I fell into the latter category.

tmotorsports
04-30-2012, 08:14 PM
Thanks for the encouragement everyone.we are looking forward to this summer.only about half hour from paint creek and a few more miles to rocky fork which is probably where we will spend most of our time.we have a 29foot camper already so this is just gonna make it more fun.

mustangboy
04-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Yeah we have a camper we use to pull everywhere but then decided on getting a boat. So we found a campground at Cuberland lake we keep the camper at year round and it has indoor boat storage on the property so we keep the boat there as well. No we just drive to the lake not having to tow anything which makes like way easier.

89notch
04-30-2012, 08:24 PM
I purchased my boat last year and enjoyed every weekend possible on it. I also keep mine at Lake Cumberland at an inside boat storage. I stay on a houseboat on the lake and its by far the most relaxing weekends of my life. I can't wait for lake season to start back up. I'm going down in a few weeks to get the houseboat opened up and ready to go for this year. I never enjoyed boating until I went to a bigger lake. Its a whole different world boating on a lake that size. You can find me most saturdays at Harmon or Fishing creek relaxing.

89notch
04-30-2012, 08:26 PM
Yeah we have a camper we use to pull everywhere but then decided on getting a boat. So we found a campground at Cuberland lake we keep the camper at year round and it has indoor boat storage on the property so we keep the boat there as well. No we just drive to the lake not having to tow anything which makes like way easier.

Also I was driving down cumberland point and stop in and check out your campground. Its a very nice place I'm just hooked on the houseboat lifestyle now :lol: I'll probably sell my camper now :lol:

duststang
05-01-2012, 07:36 AM
Boats, cars, bikes, garages, golf, softball, bowling,......even homes... They all cost money. The return is the enjoyment you get out of them. It's not "work" if you are enjoying what you are doing. Have a blast.

forgot women :lol:

redfirepearlgt
05-01-2012, 09:02 AM
forgot women :lol:

yeah....I kind've figured that one was a given. I'm sure they would say the same about us...:D I'm getting ready to but some gauges. She doesn't know that...........yet.

full force
05-01-2012, 01:23 PM
I LOVE boating.... I have a money piut for a boat compared to most regular boats but wow the fun it is!! 900 total HP in my hand in big Lake Erie water = FUN!

you connt worry about cost if you own one, they are worse then cars and can suck you dry, key is doing all your own work, I have redone everything on my boat myself, build own engines re-rigged boat and made it how the factory should have done it...

mine is a tad extreme but love it on Lake Erie...!!

Snapshot from a video in 6 footers last June..

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e41/86lxmustang/cid__Resampled_2011-06-24_21-55-53_360_.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e41/86lxmustang/th_FullForcedriveby.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e41/86lxmustang/?action=view&current=FullForcedriveby.mp4)

full force
05-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Love HP!! but they drink fuel fast

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e41/86lxmustang/113_8265.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e41/86lxmustang/113_8271.jpg

Chunk94GT
05-03-2012, 09:37 AM
Gas is the most expensive part of boating lol. If you bitch about filling up your car then a big boat is not a good idea. My wifes dads Nitro Z9 21'5 ft bass boat boat with a mercury 250 on a big lake we can use almost a $100 a day fishing!!!!!!! We don't consider boats as party machines, so I'm different around here. I'm all about Bass Boats and Fishing.