PDA

View Full Version : Question on Break In Oil

KYGTP
05-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Just wondering, how long do you guys run Break in Oil after a full rebuild? 50miles, 100 miles, 200 miles, 30 mins............:rolleyes:

I feel like BES told me around 100 miles or so, does that sound right? I just want to make sure I do it right.

I know, I know, you would think I should know this, considering how many times I have torn my motor down, but I did things way different than what BES told me to do. Let just say the "educated" me on oil when I was up there picking my stuff up.

blown86lx
05-01-2012, 09:20 PM
I always ran mine for a few warm up cool down cycles and then 50 to 75 miles

lxenvy
05-01-2012, 09:55 PM
I just beat the balls of it for a few days then i change it....... 3k miles later.... rinse and repeat....

KYGTP
05-02-2012, 09:16 AM
I always ran mine for a few warm up cool down cycles and then 50 to 75 miles

I just beat the balls of it for a few days then i change it....... 3k miles later.... rinse and repeat....

Thanks for posting up guys, so it sounds like a couple hundred miles would be OK then.

Anyone else do theirs any different?

Black Horse
05-02-2012, 09:35 AM
After I rebuild the race motor I fill it up with my normal stuff (Schaeffer's) and run the piss out of it all weekend. Change oil after every weekend. I have never had an oil related failure.

Real race cars don't have break-in periods!

full force
05-02-2012, 01:34 PM
After I rebuild the race motor I fill it up with my normal stuff (Schaeffer's) and run the piss out of it all weekend. Change oil after every weekend. I have never had an oil related failure.

basically... thats what I do!

KYGTP
05-02-2012, 09:29 PM

Thanks for the info, but my car is really not a "real" race car. I am a wanna-be racer, since I just beat on the car at T & T.

I guess after I get my car tuned this weekend, I should be around 100 miles on the new build, so when I get back I will drain it out and fill up with regular oil.

full force
05-02-2012, 09:49 PM
if it's built right it will be fine.... run it.. change oil... beat on it... as long as you have oil pressure it will be ok...

bestracing
05-04-2012, 12:24 PM

:bigthumb I'm a firm believer in break it in the way you are going to use it. I know new honing and piston ring materials (finish brush hone) leaves a lot less material on the cylinder walls that gets scraped off like in the old years. I also don't go by milage especially if you are tuning and not driving anywhere. On a new build, with roller lifters, we make 4 or 5 passes on T&T night with conventional oil, get home and swap it out for some synthetic.

Flat tappet cams require a whole different kind of break-in and they need a special additive to keep from wiping the cam lobes out. It's ZDDP and it is something that use to be in the oil but with the EPA requiring better emissions and longer lasting catalytic converters they mandated that the oil manufactures to not add it into their oil.

This is one of the additives that would break down over time and the oil would loose it's anti-wear properties (cam lobes). One of the properties causing the recomended 3000 mile oil change.

331lx
05-04-2012, 01:44 PM
I was always told Break that bitch In how she gonna b driven don't baby it. Lol

SCHMUCKINGHAM
05-04-2012, 02:24 PM
I usually put some cheaper oil in it, start it up and get it to operating temp and then shut it off and let it cool then drain it. After that i drive like 100 miles on what I want to run oil wise, change it, and get it tuned and not worry about it

bangingears
05-04-2012, 02:41 PM
just broke mine in on the dyno, change oil after and is good to go..

KYGTP
05-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Thanks for all the info guys, I will be changing out the break in oil this weekend after I get back from tuning the car up in Morristown IN. I am going to haul it up there on the trailer, beat on it for a few hrs while tuning, load it on the trailer and head home.

Once I get home, into the garage and on the lift it goes for the oil change and race prep from next Friday T & T.

Blackout
05-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Well looks like Im breaking it in every weekend. Because every weekend it breaks!...lol

2-8-1
05-06-2012, 10:54 AM
In this same vein, where can I get some Schaeffer's? Is there a web store?