PDA

View Full Version : 97 cr125 help/maintenance questions

2007ShelbyCobra
05-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Just bought a 1997 CR125 yesterday, this is my first bike, and I have a long list of questions. Nobody on the bike forums has opinions worth a shit,, lol, so i figured id try here.

Anyone know what a good clutch kit is for these? It wont totally disengage and dies when you put it in gear without reving. It has been adjusted all the way in or out through the cable going to the lever, and it doesnt make the issue any better. Ive been told the clutch is probably shot.

This may sound stupid, but i really dont know...
Does it have oil in the crankcase or is that transmission? I see a drain bolt and fill hole but it doesnt say what it goes to, whatever it is i want to play it safe and change it.

Finally the rear shock is too soft, how do I adjust it? I looks like a screw in the middle with a nut surrounding it, idk what to adjust to make it ride more firm.

Any help is appreciated, thanks

Xowner
05-07-2012, 12:04 AM
How long has the bike been sitting? If its been sitting a while the plates will STICK together. Take the clutch cover off and pull the clutch plates apart and put it back together. OR I have had good luck with this. Is adjust the lever back to where it feels like its working. Get the bike started and have someone push you and click it in gear. You can ride the bike with no clutch. Pull the clutch in and kinda hammer on it a little bit. This will free the plates up. Works most of the time. Just be ready for the plates to free up and make sure they free up completely and not just allow the clutch to slip

As far as oil I use pro-honda hp trans oil sae 80w/85w $$$ yes but it never fails me and the clutches love it.

And as far as the rear shock to stiffen it up you want to crank down on the preload nut at the top of the spring. It has two nuts that lock against each other. crank some turns in it. The screw your talking about sounds like the dampening adjustment.

2-Tone
05-07-2012, 08:54 PM
It sounds like the clutch isnt worn out more like the bike has been sitting for a while. It could also be a worn clutch basket. Pull the clutch cover and see if each clutch plate has notched the basket. Sometimes you can just file it, other times you need a new basket.

The first step with soft suspension is getting stiffer springs that suit your weight.

Setting the pre-load on the rear shock has more to do with setting the sag.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/223144-set-your-sag/

What kind of riding do you want to do? Trails ? Motox?

2007ShelbyCobra
05-07-2012, 10:11 PM
Thanks Xowner, ill try that out.

2-Tone
Im going to be doing trail riding. I guess I worded that wrong, i suppose the term I was looking for was sag.

Ill try to take a look at everything tomorrow if I get a chance. I rode it a little today and im still trying to get used to how hard u have to rev the 2 strokes in 1st when going up a hill or something, the clutch acting up really didnt help either lol