PDA

View Full Version : Hooking up Gauges

Chunk94GT
05-08-2012, 01:53 PM
First of all me and electrical don't get along at all. My question is I am wanting to hook up all Electrical, Oil pressure, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, and a Monster Tach. Right now my tach is hooked up to Power off radio, Lights off Dash, and to my coil and grounded. How do I hook up all the gauges properly not choppy and work. Right now I'm jumping off my fuse box under the dash, but is there a way to solder a main source into the ignition and dash then run all the gauges off of that?

Thanks

redfirepearlgt
05-08-2012, 07:20 PM
I would use terminal blocks. One for your 12 volt + (jumpers down one side) which allows you to pick off 12 v sources to each gauge. Then do the same for dash lighting and ground. you won't need one for the sensor connections since each gauge will have its own independent signal feedback to each gauge. You may wish to add a fusing protection between the source and main connection on the 12+ volt terminal block and as well for the dash light terminal block. This eliminates ugly wire nuts, wire crimps that can cause potential problems and other jaky splices that may fail over time. Use wire looming where possible to keep it clean.

Don't get in a hurry and don't take short cuts. Have a plan before you start cutting wires. Draw it out. That is the best way to doing a nice wire job.

LAST - IF the car is a stick, there may well be a spare connector on the wiring harness where the auto shifter would have been plugged into. That connector (somewhere in the console) will have 12vdc, 12 lighting, 12 ground connections. This is what I used when I did my gauges a few years back. Unfort. I have an 05 so the wiring codes may not match. I found mine right under the trim boot for the shifter on the passenger side of the hump. I used terminal blocks for landing all of those wires as I have described. good luck.

Chunk94GT
05-11-2012, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the input. I will check out the console for the hook ups that you speak of. If not I will 12v off the main ignition power under the dash and light, I could possibly jump off the back side of the fuse box for the dash lights. Not to sure yet have to get in there and look around. Bought the car almost 10yrs ago and finally in a place in my life to were I can do something more with it so gonna start playing with it. Mainly just don't want to short anything out or cause a fire from a bad connection.

redfirepearlgt
05-11-2012, 03:21 PM
AS a side note and thinkning about it, Find yourself a Square D or other label electrical house. There are some awesome innovations in terminal blocks that snap togather and use rail to mount. There use spring loaded terminals, pressure latch style (that wht I call it), crew lug, and other options as well. Check them out if you don't mind spending a little more money to make it neater and maybe even a little easier to setup.

Hope to see you at the Cruise in coming up 5/20/2012.

cobrajoe
05-11-2012, 04:11 PM
LAST - IF the car is a stick, there may well be a spare connector on the wiring harness where the auto shifter would have been plugged into. That connector (somewhere in the console) will have 12vdc, 12 lighting, 12 ground connections. This is what I used when I did my gauges a few years back. Unfort. I have an 05 so the wiring codes may not match. I found mine right under the trim boot for the shifter on the passenger side of the hump. I used terminal blocks for landing all of those wires as I have described. good luck.

what did you use to plug into it?

redfirepearlgt
05-12-2012, 11:02 AM
what did you use to plug into it?

I went to my Ford Elecrtical prints and found that there is a connector in the wiring harness that exists C307 (on the 05 and should for others) that is used to supply voltage, ground and signal connections for an automatic tranny shifter used in auto equipped cars. ON that unused connector (if you are running a manual setup) are ground, 12v source, panel lighting, park solenoid control, tranny OD, key removel inhibit, etc.,that are all needed for an auto shifter. There are not used on the manual shifter thus the plug is not connected to anything. The connector ID number in the console and is marked C307 (see page 151-15 wiring diagrams). Pin 4 (LB/RD) is off of the panel illumination circuit. Pin 1 (BK) is ground. Pin 5 (LB/YE) is Voltage in Run or Accessory (overload protected). For pinout on connector see PAGE 150-32.

cobrajoe
05-15-2012, 09:19 PM
I went to my Ford Elecrtical prints and found that there is a connector in the wiring harness that exists C307 (on the 05 and should for others) that is used to supply voltage, ground and signal connections for an automatic tranny shifter used in auto equipped cars. ON that unused connector (if you are running a manual setup) are ground, 12v source, panel lighting, park solenoid control, tranny OD, key removel inhibit, etc.,that are all needed for an auto shifter. There are not used on the manual shifter thus the plug is not connected to anything. The connector ID number in the console and is marked C307 (see page 151-15 wiring diagrams). Pin 4 (LB/RD) is off of the panel illumination circuit. Pin 1 (BK) is ground. Pin 5 (LB/YE) is Voltage in Run or Accessory (overload protected). For pinout on connector see PAGE 150-32.

Did you cut the harness or come up with a way to plug into it? Thanks for the info, it's gonna come in handy. By the way where did you mount your gauges? I'm thinking the center pod that Autometer makes for three gauges.

redfirepearlgt
05-15-2012, 11:19 PM
Did you cut the harness or come up with a way to plug into it? Thanks for the info, it's gonna come in handy. By the way where did you mount your gauges? I'm thinking the center pod that Autometer makes for three gauges.

Mounted them on the dash. Go look at www.speedofsound.com. They may have a pod kit for your application. Craig @ Cincy suggested them and I am happy to have spent a little extra. He also has an autometer triple pod center mount hanging at cincy right now as well. So you could see it in person. You can get them all through cincy speed. As for the connector, I tried obtaining a connector but did not look too hard. I spliced into the wires far enough back that it can be put back if needed. Of course in my case i never,ever plan on putting an auto in the car. I am using a vent pod from Roush racing to mount up the A/F gauge I just purchased form cincy as well. It will be in the vent to the left side of the steering column. Let me know what year you are working on. If 05-09 I have some tips if interested on how to get sensor and hoses fro mteh engine into the interior.