PDA

View Full Version : Big Brother is at it again......

Black Horse
05-10-2012, 10:12 AM
It looks like there may be an end to doing burn outs in new cars, and the ability to launch a manual transmission equipped car off of a steep hill......

http://www.designnews.com/author.asp?section_id=1366&doc_id=243326&cid=NL_Newsletters+-+DN+Daily&dfpPParams=ind_186,industry_auto,bid_318,aid_24332 6&dfpLayout=blog

cstreu1026
05-10-2012, 10:37 AM
You can't legislate away stupidity.

redfirepearlgt
05-10-2012, 11:07 AM

:lol: That quote should be framed and sold.

So whats next a center guide rail in the road like they have on those sports cars (Formally the Marathon Turnpike) at Kings Island?

02mingryGT
05-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Seems to me if it's in the CPU of the car it can be turned off just like the rev limiter and traction control.

cstreu1026
05-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Seems like the simpler solution would be to go back to traditional throttle cables. Instead this new government mandate meant to protect people from themselves will just add more complexity and more expense to new cars. Just like the government mandated back up cameras required but I believe 2014. Roughly 50% more people drown in bath tubs than are killed by drivers backing up.

Seems to me if it's in the CPU of the car it can be turned off just like the rev limiter and traction control.

That's provided someone can crack the coding to disable it.

redfirepearlgt
05-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Seems like the simpler solution would be to go back to traditional throttle cables. Instead this new government mandate meant to protect people from themselves will just add more complexity and more expense to new cars. Just like the government mandated back up cameras required but I believe 2014. Roughly 50% more people drown in bath tubs than are killed by drivers backing up.

And we all have learned and have come to know that lawyers and lawmakers love complexity. Makes it easier to create loopholes.

Stangman
05-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Hmmmm.... the problem seems to be common in foreign vehicles.... toyota.... audi....

I think I have a solution to that....

Lol

cstreu1026
05-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Hmmmm.... the problem seems to be common in foreign vehicles.... toyota.... audi....

I think I have a solution to that....

Lol

...and exclusive to cars with drive by wire throttles.

cstreu1026
05-10-2012, 11:57 AM
And we all have learned and have come to know that lawyers and lawmakers love complexity. Makes it easier to create loopholes.

...and keeps them employed creating new regulations to fix the problems created by old ones.

Stangman
05-10-2012, 12:04 PM
...and exclusive to cars with drive by wire throttles.

Which are the suck!

Black Horse
05-10-2012, 12:07 PM

But you can have stupidity in legislation!

cstreu1026
05-10-2012, 12:10 PM
But you can have stupidity in legislation!

The 77,000 pages in the tax code proves that.

02mingryGT
05-10-2012, 12:47 PM

That's the easy part. Every time the movie studios put a new crack on a dvd it's cracked in hours. This is much the same. I doubt the car companies will try to hide it in the code but it remains to be seen if the government will step in and make it against the law to disable. More than likely if you end up having an accident due to the fly by wire going bat shit and it's shown you disabled it I'm sure they would try to prosecute you for it.

Jake
05-10-2012, 01:14 PM
It looks like there may be an end to doing burn outs in new cars, and the ability to launch a manual transmission equipped car off of a steep hill......

I don't see why any of this would be applied to manual cars. if your motor takes off on it's own, press the clutch in.

hopefully this only affects slush box drivers, who have no pulse anyway!

redfirepearlgt
05-10-2012, 03:38 PM
That's the easy part. Every time the movie studios put a new crack on a dvd it's cracked in hours. This is much the same. I doubt the car companies will try to hide it in the code but it remains to be seen if the government will step in and make it against the law to disable. More than likely if you end up having an accident due to the fly by wire going bat shit and it's shown you disabled it I'm sure they would try to prosecute you for it.

Remains to be seen??? Sheooottttttt! If govt can make a dime on it, and ambulance chasers can sue over it, you can bet there will be a law made against disabling it.

Then there is always the classic line lock work around. Sounds like it may be a good time to invest in solenoids and steel line.

Gene
05-10-2012, 03:53 PM

Any lock one man can make, another man can break.

It's no different than regulating stability control and anti-lock brakes on cars. There will always be a contingent in government who think they can legislate safety and that they know better than we do what's good for us.

beefcake
05-10-2012, 10:35 PM
friggin legislation