PDA

View Full Version : Need some help

cobradon
05-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Went down to the track today and my distributor cap kept poping off.Is it a timing issue?Never had that happen to me before.
setup-302, gt40p heads, victor jr. intake,650 holley,msd ignition,50 shot of juice.
Just put nos on i assume it might have something to do with it.Any info would be appreciated thx.

RIXXX93GT
05-12-2012, 11:49 PM
Too much distributor end play? Oil pump drive shaft too long? When you put distributor in does it seat down even with the block or are you forcing it down with the clamp? Are the spring clips for the cap too weak or not engage tightly with a snap? Have you changed anything in these items since you last ran? Does it happen only under full throttle?

dedpedal
05-13-2012, 09:41 AM
My bet would be on the spring clips being faulty.

cobradon
05-13-2012, 10:55 AM
My bet would be on the spring clips being faulty.

We were thinking the same thing with the clips.So we bent them a little bit to make them snap a little tighter and we wrapped some black tape around and on top of cap and it stillkept coming off.

cobradon
05-13-2012, 11:00 AM
Too much distributor end play? Oil pump drive shaft too long? When you put distributor in does it seat down even with the block or are you forcing it down with the clamp? Are the spring clips for the cap too weak or not engage tightly with a snap? Have you changed anything in these items since you last ran? Does it happen only under full throttle?

The distributor seats just fine.Ran all last year with no problems.

redfirepearlgt
05-14-2012, 01:52 PM
Try setting up a plunger style dial indicator. Touch off on the top of the distributor cap with the car at idle. You will need a mag base obviously. Preload the indicator 1-2 turns (on a 5+ turn .100" per rev indicator) and zero. Slowly increase the throttle and observe for increase in reading as the throttle increases. This could help you confirm that someting in the dizzy is loose and putting force on the rotor button which is in turn pushing up on the cap. Just an idea I had. Maybe it would help. Don't know if it would work in real world or just in theory.