PDA

View Full Version : Rustoleum Epoxy Garage Floor Kit, Will It Last?

331TwistedWedge
05-16-2012, 10:22 PM
Just spent 60% of my vacation week on this damn garage, i hope this stuff is good ...

a few questions for people that have done this.....

will it last?
did you buy/do the clear coat and will that make it last longer?
will working on my car (jack the car up/ramps) once the epoxy has cured make it start chipping or rip it up?

im walking around on egg shells trying not to hurt this floor ... its only been drying for 2 full days ...

i got the 2.5 car garage rustoleum professional kit ... not sure if the "professional" kit is any better?

here's a before and after ... i almost want to rent out my house and move into the garage now :bigthumb

mad max
05-16-2012, 10:25 PM
I dont know anything about the coatings , but thats a nice looking garage floor.

adragon72
05-16-2012, 10:25 PM
Hey Ricky next time your down at the shop talk to Robert he does this on the side so he can help you out.

331TwistedWedge
05-16-2012, 10:28 PM
Hey Ricky next time your down at the shop talk to Robert he does this on the side so he can help you out.

well $hit adam, im done now ... lol ... i probably should have made a post before i actually did this small project ... i didnt research too much either, i just jumped into it ... but i did clean/degrease and primed the concrete first, didnt use the etching that came in the kit, used something else ...

MFIELD
05-16-2012, 10:45 PM
I did this at my first house and it worked real good but I put it down on new concrete. I got mine at lowes and I don't remember the brand but it looked just like that. It did start to peel in spots after a few years. I was rough on it though. I couldn't complain. One thing to watch for it hot tires. Especially slicks. Maybe put some small pieces of carpet for the tires.

331lx
05-16-2012, 11:01 PM
I am building a brand new 3 car garage as we speak and I gonna do this to floor so I hope it last

cstreu1026
05-17-2012, 07:58 AM
I think just like paint on a car its all about the prep work you do before applying it.

firestang70
05-17-2012, 09:38 AM
Add the clear coat it adds a layer of protection to the floor. Looks great in the pics.

redfirepearlgt
05-17-2012, 09:44 AM
Sweet Ricky! One of these days I will have a garage worth calling a garage. One that has a solid roof, electric, and a level floor.

Black92LX
05-17-2012, 02:31 PM
it all depends on the prep work. What did you do for prep work?? Did you use an acid etch or just a powerwasher with degreaser?? If the latter it will pull up eventually.
The professional is better as it is a solvent based epoxy and the regular is a water based epoxy.

adragon72
05-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Well I figured if you told him what you used and how you prepped then he could answer your questions. He might be at tnl with me tonight if your coming.

Oh floor looks great buddy!!

jktruckin06
05-17-2012, 03:54 PM
floor looks good man... ron was wondering if collin helped out?

8NO4CYL
05-17-2012, 05:48 PM
I am building a brand new 3 car garage as we speak and I gonna do this to floor so I hope it last

Awesome! Please post up some pics of the garage build.

Blackout
05-17-2012, 10:03 PM
It works real good, but you have to have a good clean concrete to get it to stick. I have noticed little spots on mine lately but I planned on recoating it this year and also clearing it.

331TwistedWedge
05-18-2012, 01:18 PM
it all depends on the prep work. What did you do for prep work?? Did you use an acid etch or just a powerwasher with degreaser?? If the latter it will pull up eventually.
The professional is better as it is a solvent based epoxy and the regular is a water based epoxy.

didnt use the acid etch that came with the kit, kind of wish i did now ... i used a degreaser on all the oil spots, then mopped with dawn ... i bought a gallon of lock down concrete primer, i figured that would be my added protection ...

so far so good, i love it ... lets see how long i last ... i cut some carpet squares out for the tires ....

5.0calypso93lx
05-18-2012, 03:50 PM
Lookin good Rick! Those are all probably questions I would have asked before you did it LOL

DSSKing68
05-18-2012, 04:04 PM
Joe Palmer did that to his garage. It held up well I believe and looked very nice.

jmuddiman
05-18-2012, 04:13 PM
Looks great

Black92LX
05-18-2012, 05:28 PM
didnt use the acid etch that came with the kit, kind of wish i did now ... i used a degreaser on all the oil spots, then mopped with dawn ... i bought a gallon of lock down concrete primer, i figured that would be my added protection ...

so far so good, i love it ... lets see how long i last ... i cut some carpet squares out for the tires ....

acid etch is pretty important.
It may pull up in some spots eventually

Stangman
05-18-2012, 06:25 PM
Psshhh.... Not like you'll be working in that garage!

The vette will never need anything done, and the coupe is too clean to tear up!

That's more of a beer and bench racing garage now! :tongue2:

qwk93ta
05-19-2012, 08:35 AM

Can I get this guys contact info? I'm interested in having my floor done.

Thanks,

Mark