PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own a Jeep Patriot or Liberty?

98stangv6
05-19-2012, 12:39 AM
I think the wifes car is about to take a dump, so sadly I think we need to start car shopping. She said she likes the Ford Edge, Jeep Patriot, and Liberty. I don't think we will find an Edge with under 30k miles in our price range and the Jeeps are a bit more in the budget. Patriot seems to get decent overall reviews. Interiors in both seem to be very lacking. Just wanted to hear from someone that drives one everyday. Thanks

jk5.0
05-19-2012, 10:11 AM
I have towed many Liberty’s due to failed ball joints and tie rod ends. Other than that I don’t know of any other issues other than its a Chrysler. :D

1baddlx
05-19-2012, 10:18 AM
My wife loves her Ford escape,it gets good gas mileage for a v6 too,I know of a few people with the jeep liberty and they say that parts for them are expensive.

Goober
05-19-2012, 10:29 AM
Stay away from a Liberty, they're bad news

Black92LX
05-19-2012, 11:25 AM
The liberty and patriot are the worst rated vehicle by consumer reports.

98stangv6
05-19-2012, 12:26 PM
Yeah I know, they look put together horribly. Interior is complete garbage. I took her to look at a few Fusions and I think she has changed her mind.

mustang_gt88
05-19-2012, 02:51 PM
My wife has a jeep patriot and its a great car its a 2009

jktruckin06
05-19-2012, 03:37 PM
I had an 04 liberty recently with 50,xxx miles and it was ok but I saw one with double the miles that was bad. Like jk5.0 said, the underneath was trash

Katmandu
05-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Stay away from a Liberty, they're bad newsWe bought a 2005 Liberty brand new and recently traded it in on a 2012 Liberty.

We literally has ZERO issues out of our 2005. ZERO! One of the best vehicles I've ever owned and I've owned a LOT (40+) over the years.

We bought our 2012 Liberty Latitude Edition (leather, moon roof, chrome wheels) for UNDER $22,000 !! SERIOUSLY! Are there better SUVs in this class ? Hell yea! Try finding one with these options for under $22000 !!

The rebates and deals right now are unbeatable! :rockon:

BTW, here's our 2005 on Erwin's lot right now. They're asking $13,900 on it and it only has 51,000 miles on it! They gave us $10000 for it so there's room to deal on it.

http://www.erwinchryslerdodgejeep.com/used/Jeep/2005-Jeep-Liberty-0a5ed0cb0a0a0002017ecdf063809de8.htm

Here's our 2012 Liberty......

https://picasaweb.google.com/102209991472891173446/Our2012JeepLiberty

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-x34zUvNh3RQ/T7k1N-nopPI/AAAAAAAAFC4/8WCXVZGhVxA/s512/c62233159c60fab40eb2d6424b4ed001x.jpg

Katmandu
05-20-2012, 02:09 PM
I have towed many Liberty’s due to failed ball joints and tie rod ends. :DJeep/Chrysler did have a recall on the ball joints and rear trailing arms. The one's that broke most likely did NOT get the recall done.

thecollector
05-20-2012, 11:20 PM
Jeep/Chrysler did have a recall on the ball joints and rear trailing arms. The one's that broke most likely did NOT get the recall done.

Spoiler alert its a chrysler.... the vehicles serviced under the recall still needed the repairs again 2 years later. Vehicles that will need frequent ball joint replacement can be clearly identified by checking the gvw sticker for the presence of a pentastar. Being in the service business nothing eases the worry of a slow week more than seeing a few liberty's on the service schedule.

If a liberty bests your vehicle list you may have owned a fleet of 90's intrepids or one to many early production 6.0 diesel fords. If after racking up an incredible 51,000 miles on your first liberty and proclaiming it excellent can you also say it is fair that William Henry Harrison was the best president?

22k is cheap for a loaded SUV just remember where incentives come from- a lack of sales. If someone gives you an arse fing for free is it still a good deal?

All sarcasm aside they are better trucks to drive than the XJ they replaced, just not always better to own. I know of one person with 180k who is happy with a liberty, I know of 6 others who are not with less than 120k.

I only hope production is doubled- I have two young boys to start saving for college for. Congrats on the purchase it is sharp hopefully it serves you better than your last.

Katmandu
05-24-2012, 09:38 AM
22k is cheap for a loaded SUV just remember where incentives come from- a lack of sales. Manufacturers give generous incentives when a model will no longer be made and replaced. As is the case with this generation of Libertys.

The replacement ball joints are a beefier product over what was offered OEM (back in the day). None issue on new Libertys.

Saving $7-8,000 over an equally equipped competitor is still a whole shittload cheaper even throwing in 5-10 ball joint repair jobs.

Ball joints very rarely ever snap out of the blue. There's most always an indicator that they are going bad. Always.

Yes, I do agree. If money were no object, there are far better competitors than the Liberty.

Most of us simply don't have the resources to buy what we really want now do we ? If we did, this forum 's memberships garages would be full of Shelbys and the like. :cool2:

chris91
05-24-2012, 10:15 AM
Don't rule out the Explorers. Ive never really been a SUV type of person until now.We recently picked up an 02 and we love it. Not your normal soccer mom looking SUV and its very roomy with the third row seating. Tons of power and you can get them loaded with all kinds of options. If I had to do it again I would.

Black92LX
05-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Don't rule out the Explorers. Ive never really been a SUV type of person until now.We recently picked up an 02 and we love it. Not your normal soccer mom looking SUV and its very roomy with the third row seating. Tons of power and you can get them loaded with all kinds of options. If I had to do it again I would.

I agree. I have an 03 and I love it. Just make sure the get the V8. Gets the same if not better gas mileage than the V6.
I have a 2011 Toyota 4runner as a company car and very much prefer my Explorer.

cstreu1026
05-24-2012, 12:38 PM

I agree. I have an 03 and I love it. Just make sure the get the V8. Gets the same if not better gas mileage than the V6.
I have a 2011 Toyota 4runner as a company car and very much prefer my Explorer.

You just have to watch out for rear end issues with those. Our 2003 had to be repaired 4 times in 70K miles. The final time required new bearings, gears, etc. My wife's co-worker also had issues with leaks in her Mountaineer that was the same model year. I'd still rather have an explorer than liberty.

Galaxie
05-25-2012, 10:01 AM
My daughter has a Patriot and is very happy with it . We have a 2011 Crv and I would not get another Suv without it being a Honda my wife averages 27 mpg going to work its a 75 mile round trip but by far highway . I was rode hard by my other Ford buddies but a Escape cannot compare to the mileage price and durability that the Honda has plus it was made here in Ohio .

Pitbull1052
05-25-2012, 10:07 AM
I sold Jeeps for a few years and here's all i'm going to say......... the Liberty's are by far and I know this is going to start a shit storm but the liberty's are by far the safest compact suv made and there's no amount of data or comments that will change my mind. You know when your on your way to dayton where they have the new fancy over passes...... well my fleet manager when i sold his wife drove one and it was when those bridges were under construction well a car cut her off and she ran head on into the bridge....... the car was so mangled you would never guess it was a jeep

she ended up with not one scratch.....

Goober
05-25-2012, 11:25 AM
...safe until the dash wiring catches on fire while you're driving

Pitbull1052
05-25-2012, 12:05 PM
...safe until the dash wiring catches on fire while you're driving

I sold Jeeps at one of the biggest stores in the city and not once did i ever see any wiring fires........ seems like you've got a spot for Jeeps

Goober
05-25-2012, 05:45 PM
I've seen more than one with Libertys.

Katmandu
05-26-2012, 07:49 AM
...safe until the dash wiring catches on fire while you're drivingNever ever heard of that issue on Libertys.

If there was an issue serious as that, the would have been a mandated Government recall. No doubt.

Goober
05-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Likelihood of failure X number of Libertys built X average out-of-court settlement must have been less than the price of a recall.