PDA

View Full Version : Thought for Memorial Day

redfirepearlgt
05-25-2012, 10:32 AM
I woke up this morning thinking and wondering what Memorial Day meant to the mass majority of younger adults and teens. It made me think back to a incident I observed some years ago...

The story I share is one I, redfirepearlgt, witnessed first hand. It is not some elaborate BS story made up to generate some chain email.

It was a Saturday evening at the movies with my wife. We were going to see the just released movie "Saving Private Ryan". The movie was very moving as many will recall. In the closing scene as Ryan stands before the grave of the leader of his search party - Capt. John H. Miller, He says to his wife, "Tell me I have led a good life...Tell me I have been a good man.". Those of you who saw the movie will recall this scene. Anyone with an ounce of humanity loses it during that scene if not before.

The movie ends, the lights come up. We notice a confrontation occurring down near the front center. An older gentleman and his wife have two teenage couples pinned in their seats and is not letting them out. As I approach I hear the older man (in his 70's) yelling, "You better learn to show some respect to those who sacrifice their lives for any man's freedom. There is NOTHING FUNNY ABOUT THAT!" He and his wife unblock the way and then allow the teenagers to leave...snickering still as they walk by my wife and I. As the man and his wife approach I ask if they are okay. "Damned kids have not been taught to respect the fallen any more.", he replied as he slowly walked out, his wife on his arm. A rage went through me at that moment and as I turned to go after them myself my wife stops and says, "It's not just their fault but equally the fault of their parents for not teaching them respect. They don't get it. Some day they may. Let it be."

This Memorial Day weekend, take a moment to explain and teach your children what the day is really about. It's not about electronics sales, picnics, reunions, opening the pool, or finally being fashion appropriate to wear white pumps to church on Sunday.

Millions of men and women have paid the ultimate sacrifice so we could have the freedoms this country offers and so many around the world covet. Pass on the history to your children so they may honor those and what they have done for this country as well.

Have a great weekend.

bkstang95
05-25-2012, 01:05 PM
Excellent post!

Maybe if we can get on of the Kardashian's to read this to the dumbass kids these days it might sink in a little!

Pitbull1052
05-25-2012, 01:17 PM
text it to them that's the only way they read anyway...... great post red made me think of when i saw the movie myself and thinking of the many older gentlemen that you could tell had actually served themselves and not a one had a dry eye.......

mad max
05-25-2012, 02:02 PM
Some of the best stories i hear are from the vets that we tow . I always make sure my daughters hold their hand on their heart during the national anthem . I will make sure that they always respect the veterans and people who serve.

Gstang117
05-25-2012, 06:09 PM
This is very true. Most kids my age think of memorial day as just another day off from school or work. It's a damn shame too.

DSSKing68
05-25-2012, 06:59 PM
This is very true. Most kids my age think of memorial day as just another day off from school or work. It's a damn shame too.

The damn liberal teachers hate to teach anything about it either.

Great post Chad. If you see a vet, thank him. I always make it a point to shake their hand and thank them or buy their dinner if they are out.

Remember the fallen. The served and gave the ultimate sacrifice, for all of us.

stangman_5
05-25-2012, 08:42 PM
I remember saying the pledge of allegiance every day before school started....they dont do that anymore :rolleyes:. I have family in the military, and I give heavy discounts to soldiers that come into my work. People that discrace our fellow soldiers make me sick...

06V6Andrew
05-25-2012, 09:16 PM
i blame it on all the people that want to criticize our soldiers for fighting the war. i don't want to get that going whether you believe it's a good reason or not that's your opinion, but kids seeing people yelling at soldiers and saying they are murder's and what not. i think that is where the respect is lost. I respect anyone in the military from the grunts to the generals, you put your life on the line so i can live. I stand and tip my hat to all of you and a thank from my whole family!

BIGRED Z
05-25-2012, 09:26 PM
Beautiful story. I'm proud to have served, and I still continue to serve fellow veterans as a civilian now. (I work at the VA) Happy Memorial Day!

GO NAVY!!

Moody
05-25-2012, 10:03 PM
I call the people I served with overseas. We tend to get together drink a few beers and remember the guys and girl that didn't make it back home. I will stop by my best friends house and hang with his family a for a bit. He died on leave. Then I will spend the rest of the day with my family that went through not knowing if I was going to call the next Sunday. I come from a good military family, since the war of 1812 we served. Uncles from Vietnam have died, grandpa from ww2 and Korea has been gone. I got an uncle from gulf war 1 and then me Afghanistan 2010-2011... We will be putting flags on a few graves to. This isn't just a day to drink. It's a day to remember and be with people you love.

BIGRED Z
05-25-2012, 10:06 PM
Thanks for serving Moody!

BIGRED Z
05-25-2012, 10:10 PM
Red fire...gonna borrow this post for FB. It's a story that bears repeating.

DeckerEnt
05-26-2012, 09:29 AM
Great post Chad!!!!

redfirepearlgt
05-28-2012, 08:45 PM
Thanks gang. Just got back from down home. Lori, feel free to copy and paste. I'm honored. And thanks for taking care of the vets. I know they pay you for that, but it takes a specail person with special patience, and special tolerance to work in that kind of environment.

Katmandu
05-29-2012, 12:40 AM
I remember saying the pledge of allegiance every day before school started....they dont do that anymore :rolleyes:. When did they stop doing that ?

Katmandu
05-29-2012, 12:43 AM
Beautiful story. I'm proud to have served, and I still continue to serve fellow veterans as a civilian now. (I work at the VA) Happy Memorial Day!

GO NAVY!!Very good story and life lesson. :rockon:

I too have served and work with the VA (Dayton VA). I served for (20) years. Retired USAF.

Thanks to my fellow Vets that served as well and those that gave all.

redfirepearlgt
05-29-2012, 06:55 PM
Very good story and life lesson. :rockon:

I too have served and work with the VA (Dayton VA). I served for (20) years. Retired USAF.

Thanks to my fellow Vets that served as well and those that gave all.

Appreciate your service and your ongoing devotion to help vets! :rockon: Thanks.