PDA

View Full Version : Titling question

ADaughen
06-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Buddy (Dayton, Ohio) has a 1930's body he is looking into building into a cruiser. He doesn't have a title. Doesn't even know when it was last a full car.

He went to the local Title Office and they balked saying he can't Title it.

I sent him to the DMV website and he stated he contacted the support number and they told him similarly.

Anyone familiar with the process?

He'd be putting the old body on a new (homemade) frame. Wouldn't that fall under the Custom Vehicle Registration? Shouldn't he just have to fill out the Application for Title form? :confused:

Stangman
06-04-2012, 02:46 PM
I would think it would then be a custom vehicle. Does he have a receipt of sale on the body?

Pitbull1052
06-04-2012, 02:54 PM
that's what i was thinking too Jess, i'm sure it would be just like a custom bike or hand built car, i think it has to be complete or nearly complete to title it then they'll issue a vin and what not

ADaughen
06-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Thanks guys. The lady at the Title Office acted like he was trying to fornicate with a chicken. :lol:

Receipt of sale... not sure, he said it's been in the family for a generation or two. But there are procedures to fix, that too. :bigthumb

Gene
06-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Is there a serial number on the body somewhere? He may be able to get a title issued with that number, especially because it's been the family for a while.

Does anyone know when Ohio first starting issuing titles for cars?

draggin50
06-04-2012, 08:15 PM
I have the same issue and what you can do is get on Jalopy Journal (HAMB) website and you can usually find people on there with titles for sale to older vehicles. Ive seen them titled as all kinds of different cars. 30's model A's with 40's International titles and such.

Dedicated5.0
06-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Just out of curiosity what keeps someone from removing any ID numbers and saying it was completley home built? By the time you build a custom chassis and do any body mods on a body that old who would know any different?