PDA

View Full Version : Beware! OSP now has new cruisers... !

Katmandu
06-13-2012, 04:11 PM
.... and they look like this.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6112/6248488300_0c0333c959_z.jpg

Saw one out on patrol today off I-35 in Dayton.

firestang70
06-13-2012, 04:21 PM
sweet 40 roll yo.....

redfirepearlgt
06-13-2012, 04:24 PM
I remember reading and seeing somewhere recently they werw going back to silver. I thought when they left that color and went back to white 10 or so years ago it was because they were losing to many troopers and/or cruisers due to crashes caused by the low visiblity of the silver/gray paint color . Guess being stealthy again to increase roadside revenue is more important than human safety! Aces OSHP!!!

firestang70
06-13-2012, 04:24 PM
So they are changing colors again? I remember when they were silver in the 80s,90's. Then they switched to the dark grey. Blended in too much, ironically alot more troopers started getting struck as well. Hopefully the new silver will stand out more like the white ones.

firestang70
06-13-2012, 04:25 PM
You beat me to it Chad! lol

redfirepearlgt
06-13-2012, 04:26 PM
You beat me to it Chad! lol

LOMBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

redfirepearlgt
06-13-2012, 04:27 PM
This reminds me of the Bengals plea for a new stadium with natural turf so they would not get injured. THen 3-4 years later they are suddenly playing on artificial turf again!

timdsellers
06-13-2012, 04:45 PM
These things have a hemi?

SJSlots
06-13-2012, 04:55 PM
I hate the low profile lights on top of the cruisers these days. Makes it harder for my eyes to pick em out of oncoming traffic.

Black Horse
06-13-2012, 05:08 PM
KSP are getting new cruisers as well.....Chevy Caprice!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/554741_10150953179080902_543689768_n.jpg

mustang8998
06-13-2012, 05:51 PM
I saw one today, as well...

I-35 in Dayton, you say?

1987LXVert
06-13-2012, 06:24 PM
I saw an suv today in Landen turning onto Columbia rd off Western Row!! I can't believe their going back to this color this shit is nuts. Yup that's exactly why their going back to white for more revenue!! I could spot a white one a mile away!!

Gstang117
06-13-2012, 06:51 PM

I-35 in Dayton, you say?

Saw one right off the exit ramp of 75 in miamisburg, he had some unlucky fellow pulled over

Black92LX
06-13-2012, 07:30 PM
I see they went with the AWD model and not the police package.

85_SS_302_Coupe
06-13-2012, 08:44 PM
Years of honing my skills of spotting Vic headlights in the dark...wasted.

GREAZY
06-13-2012, 09:04 PM
Saw one today in Dayton on 75 and 35. I thought it was just an odd ball.

Chunk94GT
06-13-2012, 10:13 PM
There is one that works 275 around 5 mile, kelloge area, that is two tone. Grey top and silver bottom. Don't know if they are mixing them up or if they started the two tone and switch to the single silver. They have a few of them sitting at the depot off 32, Bauer Rd in Batavia.

Katmandu
06-13-2012, 10:16 PM

I-35 in Dayton, you say?Yup. He was sitting stationary on the side on Westbound I-35 just after the James H.McGee Blvd Exit. Good thing I knew before hand what the new OSP cruiser were going to look like cause I was flying! :lol: Got on the binders REAL QUICK like! :bigthumb

Chunk94GT
06-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Okay cool site I found. Silver is issued to the trooper of the year but the rest are going to be standard white.

http://policecarwebsite.net/westside/ohio.htm

Katmandu
06-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Years of honing my skills of spotting Vic headlights in the dark...wasted.There's still a whole lot of them out there.

We NEED to find a pic of Charger lights lit up at night so we can study them! :lol:

Katmandu
06-13-2012, 10:22 PM
These things have a hemi?Sure as hell do!

http://www.allpar.com/squads/police-cars/charger.html

Katmandu
06-13-2012, 10:42 PM
So they are changing colors again? I remember when they were silver in the 80s,90's. Then they switched to the dark grey.
Blended in too much, ironically alot more troopers started getting struck as well. Hopefully the new silver will stand out more like the white ones.You would NOT believe how many Cruisers get hit from behind! Much more common than people realize.

I was actually in a dark gray 1993 OSP cruiser that got side-swiped by a semi! I was an Auxiliary Trooper back then. We were on a stop along I-75 up near Sidney when a pack of trucks came by and one side-swiped our cruiser. Another inch or 2 to the right and we would have been catapulted into a field!

I can recount at least (6) other times in the past 15-20 years that OSP cruisers got rammed just here in the Dayton area alone. No bullshit.

Another time an a Trooper in a 1991 OSP cruiser was sitting on the should right before the MM 73 (Troy) exit. She was out of her cruiser talking with a driver she had just stopped right in front of her. A young kid was in a hurry (in heavy traffic) and thought it might be a good idea to pass on the shoulder to get to the exit early. He was in the left lane and shot to the right behind a semi.

He went to go shoot to the right (to get on the shoulder) and that just happened to be were the cruiser was sitting! He NAILED it square in the driver's door and knocked it DOWN the hill! Unfuggingbelievable! This 1991 Cruiser just happened to the very last "box-body" Crown Vic left in the Dayton district. Talk about going out with a BANG!

When you're in the area next time, look to the right, there is now a CAT Engine repair facility directly across from where this accident happened. You'll see how steep the hill is. The big Crown Vic ended up at the bottom in a ravine.

Another time, when of my friend's (OSP Trooper) was doing "rent-a-light-bar" duty. He was protecting construction workers on I-75 NB right at the I-70 crossroads. Some dipshit was flying up from behind, jammed on his brakes, and wiped out right into the rear of my friend's cruiser. Thank God he was ok.

I could recount all the others but I don't feel like typing it all out right now. :)

So you can see why there is that new law about Move to the left when a cruiser has someone pulled over.

Katmandu
06-13-2012, 10:49 PM
A few years ago I did some personal research on the subject of OSP Cruisers getting hit from the rear. I contacted the OSP directly for this information.

Check out these statistics!

These numbers include all rear end crashes (minor & serious : injury & non injury)

2009 to date: 58
2008: 90
2007: 86
2006: 73
2005: 82
2004: 92

OSP Cruisers Get Rearend an Average 84.6 Times per YEAR!

That's about (7) times per MONTH ! Almost 2 every WEEK!

Katmandu
06-13-2012, 11:25 PM
Here's pics from 2 of the crashes in this area.....

http://projects.daytondailynews.com/cache/galleries/News/Local/102810cruisercrash/

http://projects.daytondailynews.com/cache/galleries/News/Crime/ddn110610troopercrash/

mad max
06-13-2012, 11:47 PM
You are suppose to move to the right for tow trucks and ambulances and so on. Nobody does it for us. I have almost been personally hit twice in the last month . Nothing worse than having to dive over your bed on your rollback because some jackass is in a hurrry. Wonder how people would feel if i drove my rollback 70 mph past their cubicle in their office . I always thank the patrol for stopping while we load something out on the interstate.

CNTLOSE
06-14-2012, 12:50 AM
Right now Dayton only has the one silver car. Which the last time I talked to a Trooper was a staff car and not assigned to anyone yet. I believe it is still and test and evaluate car...and yes all new OSP cars will be silver.

mustang8998
06-14-2012, 04:45 AM
A few years ago I did some personal research on the subject of OSP Cruisers getting hit from the rear. I contacted the OSP directly for this information.

Check out these statistics!

These numbers include all rear end crashes (minor & serious : injury & non injury)

2009 to date: 58
2008: 90
2007: 86
2006: 73
2005: 82
2004: 92

OSP Cruisers Get Rearend an Average 84.6 Times per YEAR!

That's about (7) times per MONTH ! Almost 2 every WEEK!

What is the break down, on the different colors.

If memory serves, the color change was due to cost. It was cheaper to purchase white vehicles (all state vehicles).

I'll still give you crap, about I-35.

firestang70
06-14-2012, 07:07 AM
I remember when we started making the push to close at least a lane of traffic down for mvas. The troopers were not happy about us shutting down "their" roads. When they started realizing a big red fire truck was a better barrier than a passenger car they embraced the idea.

Black92LX
06-14-2012, 08:54 AM
Sure as hell do!

http://www.allpar.com/squads/police-cars/charger.html

That one pictured actually doesn't appear to have a Hemi. It's not the Police Package as indicated by the chrome grill and upgraded SXT wheels. I mispoke earlier and those aren't the AWD wheels. Also Hemi powered vehicles have a hemi badge on the quarter panels.

Is it possible that they got some sort of special package, sure, but I don't see it being cost effective. 1st round of all new vehicles for OSP is not going to be very large. Only way to tell is to see the engine bay I guess.

Katmandu
06-14-2012, 10:22 AM
Right now Dayton only has the one silver car. Which the last time I talked to a Trooper was a staff car and not assigned to anyone yet. I believe it is still and test and evaluate car...and yes all new OSP cars will be silver.The OSP is well past the evaluation phase.

They've been rolling them out for Patrol use for several weeks now.

Katmandu
06-14-2012, 10:30 AM
What is the break down, on the different colors.No idea. You can Email the OSP Risk Manager like I did. IIRC, I sent the Email to thru the OSP's webpage. I'll have to search thru my old emails and see if I can find an address for you.

If memory serves, the color change was due to cost. It was cheaper to purchase white vehicles (all state vehicles).Their was claim it was due to increase visibility and safety. BTW, it's OSP policy that Trooper's keep their headlights on at all times at night. The OSP Admin want's the public to be able to see cruiser's at all times. Trooper's also are not allowed to "hide" and/or entrap driver's into speed traps. The must be visible and out in the open. This is not to say, some Trooper's will use other way's increasing their advantage to nab speeders. One of my favorite's was when we got to work in tandem
with the OSP's plane to catch speeders!

ODOT actually did go to all white dump truck as well. Well, having an all white SNOW plow out plowing in a snow storm (near whiteout) conditions is moronic IMHO! Those trucks are extremely hard to see in these conditions! I emailed ODOT suggesting they install those large yellow-black diagonal reflective strips on the back of these trucks. Of course I was blown off. :rolleyes:

I'll still give you crap, about I-35. In had to think about that one for a minute..... :lol: It's ST.RT 35, not I-35. :bigthumb

SN95N/A
06-14-2012, 10:44 AM
Saw one up off 75 yesterday by exit 44 lol I wasn't worried he looked really busy

Katmandu
06-14-2012, 10:53 AM
Brilliant color choice. :rolleyes:

http://cdn.abclocal.go.com/images/wtvg/cms_exf_2007/_video_wn_images/5839084_600x338.jpg

cstreu1026
06-14-2012, 10:55 AM
I saw one of the first silver Chargers in the area last month near Kings Island. I have seen it ( or maybe more than one) multiple times in the last week or so. They are harder to recongnize as police cars. The logo on the door doesn't really stand out and the light bars are super low profile.

Its still better than the motorcycles...I never can spot them until it would be too late if I were speeding.

03z06vette
06-14-2012, 11:14 AM
Its OHP...... tks for the heads up bro!

Katmandu
06-14-2012, 12:17 PM
Its OHP...... tks for the heads up bro! It's actually OSHP.

Check it out..... Cool website. Lots of useful info.

http://statepatrol.ohio.gov/

Katmandu
06-14-2012, 12:19 PM
No idea. You can Email the OSP Risk Manager like I did. IIRC, I sent the Email to thru the OSP's webpage. I'll have to search thru my old emails and see if I can find an address for you.
.Start here first....... Attention to Risk Manager.

wwwohp@dps.state.oh.us

CNTLOSE
06-14-2012, 01:50 PM
The OSP is well past the evaluation phase.

They've been rolling them out for Patrol use for several weeks now.

Yeah it was not the car itself, it was the light package and markings they were evaluating. The Trooper who originally was going to drive the Dayton one got promoted so it just sat and became a pool car...that was as of last week. Also an academy class just graduated recently so some more will be hitting the streets and highways I imagine.

Our department has yet to make up their minds which cruiser we will go with next year. Since the Chief was planning on waiting we ordered twice as many CV's last year. Also CHP just announced they will be ordering all of their new cruisers as the Explorer based Interceptor. I imagine a lot of other agencies may follow suit.

03z06vette
06-14-2012, 03:07 PM
It should be PIG..... Ive tagged the back end of a cop car... they cant catch a r1!!!!!

85_SS_302_Coupe
06-14-2012, 09:03 PM
The flex-fuel V6 is rated at 291 hp, 260 lb-ft of torque; the V8 at 370 hp, 395 lb-ft (lower than the civilian Hemi).

That's interesting. I wonder why it's less than the civi Hemi?

Also the V6 rating just makes me appreciate the Mustang V6's 305hp even more.

Stangman
06-14-2012, 09:37 PM
I still want a used highway patrol or sherrif Crown Vic..... a sherrif car would be sinister

cobrajoe
06-14-2012, 10:51 PM
The old 32 Ford had a boat load of Interceptors sitting.:eek:

Stangman
06-15-2012, 09:57 AM
The old 32 Ford had a boat load of Interceptors sitting.:eek:

I pass there all the time when I am on 32 but never see any. If I could get one for a song after the truck is paid off.... I would consider it

Jeff88coupe
06-15-2012, 10:15 AM
I saw a few of the new OSP chargers yesteday driving up around Butler county. KY deparments have been using the newer chargers for several years now.

cstreu1026
06-15-2012, 10:45 AM
I saw a few of the new OSP chargers yesteday driving up around Butler county. KY deparments have been using the newer chargers for several years now.

...and in every color imaginable or at least in Louisville. Whenever I drive through there I assume pretty much any car on the side of the road could be a cop car.

Stangman
06-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Speaking of that.... I saw a gold new malibu with dark windows here between sharonville and blue ash on 275 with lights inside the car, and someone was pulled over! Never seen those in ohio! Seen them in indiana though!

Katmandu
06-15-2012, 10:48 PM
I still want a used highway patrol or sherrif Crown Vic..... a sherrif car would be sinisterYou would've loved my old P71 (CVPI). :bigthumb

http://katmanduonline.net/albums/MyOldP71/index.html

http://katmanduonline.net/albums/MyOldP71/photos/photo10.jpg

I should've kept that one......

http://katmanduonline.net/albums/MyOldP71/photos/photo5.jpg

Chunk94GT
06-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Yesterday saw a Hamilton County Sheriff driving a new Ford Taruas or Fuzion, He was heading west on 74/275 just before 128, I was going east. It looked really good, just needed something other than the black steel wheels on it.

Ranger50
06-16-2012, 05:38 PM
KSP are getting new cruisers as well.....Chevy Caprice!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/554741_10150953179080902_543689768_n.jpg

Wish I could get that Holden OTC... :(

mustangjon
06-16-2012, 05:52 PM
Yesterday saw a Hamilton County Sheriff driving a new Ford Taruas or Fuzion, He was heading west on 74/275 just before 128, I was going east. It looked really good, just needed something other than the black steel wheels on it.

They have several fusions but everyone ive seen has very old paper servers driving

CNTLOSE
06-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Wish I could get that Holden OTC... :(

Wait a couple years and they will start hitting the auctions.

pegasus
06-17-2012, 05:46 PM
Well they have upgraded to lightbars with super bright LEDs

graysonracin
06-17-2012, 06:29 PM
I work for chrysler right now and both the 6 and 8 cyl chargers run pretty good really. We work on some of the local nky police departments chargers. I think the state of kentucky will regret buying the caprice. They will be junk just like the other gm products now(worked a a chevy dealer not long ago so i have some experience with them too). Id take a chrysler any day over a new gm. The crescent springs police had some impalas and they said they were the worst cars, only lasted to the 70k or so.

cobrajoe
06-17-2012, 10:13 PM
I pass there all the time when I am on 32 but never see any. If I could get one for a song after the truck is paid off.... I would consider it

it was the NEW Interceptors like this except all white.

CNTLOSE
06-18-2012, 02:42 AM
I work for chrysler right now and both the 6 and 8 cyl chargers run pretty good really. We work on some of the local nky police departments chargers. I think the state of kentucky will regret buying the caprice. They will be junk just like the other gm products now(worked a a chevy dealer not long ago so i have some experience with them too). Id take a chrysler any day over a new gm. The crescent springs police had some impalas and they said they were the worst cars, only lasted to the 70k or so.

Bad thing with the Charges is they have a bad reputation of burning up brakes and transmissions way to early. Also they are just too small compared to the others. The new Caprice may do okay, the last Caprice did just fine and was one of the fastest Police sedans for a long time. You have to remember it is a completely new car, not some front wheel drive crap like the Impala. For the sake of Ford I hope the new Interceptors take off...but I am not holding my breath.

Galaxie
06-18-2012, 07:51 AM
They Mopars have a bad going around here as well . The city bought them to save money on fuel from the Vics but the maintenance cost have preceded the fuel cost of the Vics. First cruiser made it 4000 miles and smoked the front brakes . They have 3 now and they have had diff problems ,steering column issues and the brakes was half way taken care of with drilled and slotted rotors and high dollar pads . They have a couple of tall officers and by the time they get the cage in them they cannot hall a average size person so they cannot transport inmates unless they are small people . One of my close friends services all of the local City and Sheriff cruisers . A few years back they had one instance where the fuel pump went out and no one had one they waited 2 months to get a used one from a junkyard .

bestracing
06-18-2012, 09:47 AM
You would NOT believe how many Cruisers get hit from behind! Much more common than people realize.

I was told that the flashing lights on the cruisers attracts drunk drivers like patio lights attracts moths...... :lol:

bestracing
06-18-2012, 09:53 AM
You would've loved my old P71 (CVPI). :bigthumb

http://katmanduonline.net/albums/MyOldP71/index.html

http://katmanduonline.net/albums/MyOldP71/photos/photo10.jpg

I should've kept that one......

http://katmanduonline.net/albums/MyOldP71/photos/photo5.jpg

It needed a push bar ;)

Katmandu
06-19-2012, 01:43 AM
It needed a push bar ;)I would have been WAY to tempted to use it going down the highway! :lol:

Katmandu
06-19-2012, 01:49 AM
Ever hear of Carbon Motors E7 purpose built Police Cruiser ?

Now that is a REAL Police Cruiser! They just can not get a Government backed loan right now. Too bad because this is a helluva car!

Check it out....

http://www.carbonmotors.com/

http://www.carbonmotors.com/press#images

Specifications

OEM Carbon Motors Corporation
Vehicle Platform Codename E7
Brand Carbon Motors™
Nameplate To Be Determined
Assembly Location Connersville, Indiana
The Police Car Capital of the World
Price Comparable to Retail Passenger Car Outfitted with Law Enforcement Equipment.

POWERTRAIN / CHASSIS
Engine Forced Induction Diesel
Recommended Fuel Ultra-low sulfur (ULS) Diesel
Driveline Rear-Wheel-Drive
Horsepower > 250 bhp
Torque > 400 lb-ft
Transmission Multi-Speed Automatic
Front Brakes 14" Vented Discs, ABS
Rear Brakes 13" Vented Discs, ABS
Wheels 19 x 8" Steel
Tires 245/55R19
Front Suspension Struts, coil springs, anti-roll bar
Rear Suspension Multi-link, coil springs, self-leveling shocks, anti-roll bar

DIMENSIONS
Wheelbase 122.0"
Front Track 66.9"
Rear Track 66.9"
Overall Length 200.0"
Overall Width 78.0"
Overall Height 64.2"
Ground Clearance 7.0"
Curb Weight 4000 lbs
Weight Distribution (front/rear) 50% / 50%
Front Headroom 40.0"
Rear Headroom 38.5"
Front Legroom 45.0"
Cargo Volume 20.0 cu ft
Fuel Capacity 18.0 gallons

PERFORMANCE
0 - 60 mph 6.5 seconds
Quarter Mile 14.5 seconds @ 98.0 mph
Top Speed > 150 mph
Braking 60 - 0 mph 125 feet
Lateral Acceleration 0.85 g
Combined City/Hwy Fuel Economy 28 - 30 mpg

SELECTED FEATURES AND OPTIONS
All-new purpose-built vehicle platform exclusively for law enforcement
Meets or exceeds all regulatory requirements
Turn-key built-to-direct-order - 24/7/365 call center support
Turn-key end-of-vehicle-life process
Comprehensive warranty
Aluminum spaceframe body structure
75 mph rear impact crash capability
Cockpit with fully-integrated factory fitted law enforcement equipment
Integrated emergency lights, spot lights, take down lights, and directional stick
Segment exclusive coach rear doors for safer suspect ingress and egress
Vehicle dynamic control
Anti-lock brakes
Optimized approach / departure angles and ground clearance
NIJ Level III-A (or better) ballistic protection (front doors and dash panel)
Purpose-designed seat for use with on-body equipment - Heated and ventilated seats
Heads up display
Reverse backup camera
Remote start capability
Driver specific intelligent key
360 degree exterior surveillance capability
Automatic license plate recognition system
Video and audio surveillance of rear passenger compartment
130hz - 350hz bass siren
Nightvision compliant interior illumination
Integrated forward looking infrared system (FLIR)
Integrated shotgun mounts
Optimized storage capability (compartment and cargo)
Integrated front and rear passenger compartment partition
Hoseable rear passenger compartment
Integrated push bumpers and PIT capability

http://www.carbonmotors.com/images/car6.jpg

http://www.carbonmotors.com/images/car13.jpg

02mingryGT
06-20-2012, 01:42 PM
This reminds me of the Bengals plea for a new stadium with natural turf so they would not get injured. THen 3-4 years later they are suddenly playing on artificial turf again!

Completely different artificial turf. It is actually cheaper than natural turf considering the grass kept dying.