PDA

View Full Version : anyone care to help out with a fox r12 AC system?

jmuddiman
06-16-2012, 09:23 PM
I put a can of freon in it and the (cheap) gauge said it is ok. However my ac clutch is not engaging. I have never worked with hvac. Does anyone have some suggestions?
How to bypass switches to check if compressor is ok or not?

Better yet does anyone live semi close to cincinnati that is willing to help me out? I will by the supplies.

jeep45238
06-16-2012, 10:26 PM
First, is it still filled with R12, or has it been converted? The freon you used, was it R12 or R134A?

jmuddiman
06-16-2012, 11:23 PM
First, is it still filled with R12, or has it been converted? The freon you used, was it R12 or R134A?

Still r 12

jeep45238
06-17-2012, 05:11 AM
My gauges only hook up to 134a. The easiest way to bypass the pressure switches is to disconnect one and jump it. Verify that the high and low switches are working with a quick jump on each, and if you can run power direct to the a/c compressor and verify that the clutch is still working.

It's really best to have a gauge though (and that's hard considering it's still a R12 setup), so you can verify pressures on the suction and discharge lines. It may still be low, or it may also show a problem somewhere in the system that you wouldn't know about otherwise.

jktruckin06
06-17-2012, 09:32 AM
I would help if I knew anything about it, instead I will just say... top down man lol

jmuddiman
06-17-2012, 11:38 AM
I would help if I knew anything about it, instead I will just say... top down man lol

Lol yes, the top goes down everyday :)

jmuddiman
06-17-2012, 12:51 PM
I am very surprised that no one has brought up the low pressure switch adjustments?
For those of us who are not aware this is here. If your remove the low pressure switch connection on the dryer there is a set screw that can be adjusted to kick on your ac compressor.
Am i correct to assume that I can set this screw using r134a refrigerant to cut off when the pressure reaches about 22psi?

jeep45238
06-17-2012, 02:56 PM
I'm not an hvac guy by trade, I've never seen an adjuster for the cut off switches. That's pretty handy, assuming you don't set it too low.

331lx
06-17-2012, 08:33 PM
I'm not a ac guy. Ac delete kit works great

redfirepearlgt
06-19-2012, 07:46 PM
You can jump the low pressure switch but only do it to bump the compressor to make sure it comes on. You could also disconnect the compressor connector, hook up a voltmeter and verify the 12 volts is getting to the compressor with the LP switch bypassed when you command the AC on. This would protect the system in the event it was fired up with low coolant still. If no voltage to the compressor in this state you have a control issue. Good luck.

I had a similar problem on a Buick some years back. One can alone did not charge the system, it was so low. I would try adding a second if all checks good on the electrical check. Mine held two full bottles and the gauge stayed in the green zone. A/C compressor kicked on and was good after that...until she was broadsided and totalled out two years later.