PDA

View Full Version : New 5.0 exhaust combos

firestang70
06-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Ok I will chart my exhaust journey on my 5.0 with a 6r80 auto tranny. I will give opinions on each setup. Also feel free to add good and bad combos, it might help save a member some cash on exhaust combos.

STOCK- TOO QUIET! Remeber the +10 cabin is much quieter than 05-09 cabin, its difficult to hear combos with the windows up.

Roush axle backs, rest of exhaust stock. Very little to 0 drone. They are LOUD, deep idle,they are a little too "gurgly". Nice axleback with cats on. I was disappointed in the quality of the muffler thought they might have rust issus later ( Ihave seen several threads on this very issue). never had the stock tips, I added some aftermarket double rolled tips that looked amazing.

Roush axleback + Lethal O/R X+ stock resonators. YUCK. Way too loud and sounded like an old beat up truck with headers and straight pipes and droned in the cabin. It didn't last long like this.

GT 500s+ Lethal O/R X + stock resonators. This was an excellent combo, deeper than stock idle, nice performance tone at WOT, 0 drone. Was a little quiet but have heard cars with resonators removed and is a little louder and meaner. I have heard these mufflers with cats and still has a nice rumble. the only cons to these are 1. still heavy as stock 2. the tips are not as nice aftermarket tips. Great mufflers.

Stainless Works LTs+ SW O/R X+ GT 500 mufflers. I can never leave well enough alone. This combo had some raspiness, that I did not like, did not have a performance tone that I liked.

Stainless Works LTs+SW O/R X, Bassani axle backs. Pros- lighter than stock mufflers,nice tips, deep idle, aggressive tone, very little drone. Cons-expensive, there is slight drone in the cabin, still has a more performance sound than old school muscle sound. I like this setup quiet deep idle, sounds great at WOT, it shrieks lol. It even crackles alittle on deacceleration.

So with cats on the Roush sounds good, heard several GT 500 muffs with stock cats and sounds nice and mellow. Catless the Roush suck. the GT 500s sound GREAT, sound even better with resonators removed. Adding LTs the GT 500s sounded raspy. The Bassani sounded good and deep but still long for a deeper old school style sound with no to little drone.

Hope this helps anybody looking.
Dale

mad max
06-19-2012, 09:26 PM
Car sounded extremely good when you left Qsl the day we talked. What combo was that ?

redfirepearlgt
06-19-2012, 09:35 PM
Cool Dale. Thanks sooooo much. I have oddly enough been tring to decide which way to go. roush, bassani,gt500. I love the tone on the gt500 but hate the looks. The only reason against gt500 is as you said - the tips - bluck! Any chance you have the Roush axle backs and want to part with them, asuming they mate up on the 2013? If you have them I will contact Roush to see if it is the same part number and maybe we can work a deal. Thanks again for the great post. See you soon.

BTW - 3.73 gears will be ordered on July1, and should be going in July 5. FYI.

firestang70
06-20-2012, 05:49 AM
Mad Max that is my latest the Bassanis.
Chad all I have left are my stock ones.

2Kblacksleeper
06-20-2012, 03:23 PM
I have the Bassanis race axle back on my 12. I really like them alot. My only complaint is that at 1900-2100 rpm in 6th it has a slight drone with the windows up. I drive at that speed alot. 70ish

Can you think of any way to cancel that out?

firestang70
06-20-2012, 03:53 PM
I have LTs and O/R X and don't have any drone that I can detect. These cars are picky with exhaust and one little change, can make a big difference. I know Corsa have 0 drone with the rest stock but they are EXPENSIVE.

Goober
06-20-2012, 05:41 PM
I like how this sounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImHdPZ0pQa8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Goldenpony
06-21-2012, 06:35 PM
I have LTs and O/R X and don't have any drone that I can detect. These cars are picky with exhaust and one little change, can make a big difference. I know Corsa have 0 drone with the rest stock but they are EXPENSIVE.

I know people say Corsa is expensive, but at least to me - it is well worth the cost. As you mentioned, they have 0 drone. I also love that at cruise condition when I want to lesten to my radio or CD, it is quiet. BUT, at WOT man they sound off. They have a nice gurgle at idle too. Made of stainless steel, so it is a one time purchase. ;)

redfirepearlgt
06-21-2012, 08:18 PM
I like how this sounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImHdPZ0pQa8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Love magtnaflows. Would like to hear how they sound in the car @ 1900 RPM in 6th pulling a hill. I have to keep wifey happy by keeping drone to a minimum. I know that the GT500 series would be the true answer there, BUT I hate the tips on them. Really thinking Roush or even going Corsa, which on corsa would mean waiting until spring and then taking a home equity loan out. LOL!!!

smytty
06-21-2012, 09:24 PM
Im going to most likely grab the Magnaflows, so im hoping they are worth it.. Loved them on my 04 cobra with LTs

2Kblacksleeper
06-22-2012, 04:07 AM
I was able to get a screaming deal on my bassanni's. When i finally do long tubes and off road x I will likely go with the corsa.