PDA

View Full Version : Got my baby back, baby back, baby back

jeep45238
06-27-2012, 09:27 AM
Well....not ribs (I highly recommend those who want some killer baby back ribs check out Walt's BBQ, killer food). I just got my baby back.

One of my last bits of fun before I head off to basic was to get some work done on my Mustang I couldn't do myself - namely sub frame connectors (I have no welder), gears (I lack the tools and experience), and a tuner (I would blow the engine up).

The fellows at Cincy Speed took care of the gears and sub frames on last Wednesday for me, told me to put 400-500 miles on the gears to break them in and swing by for a tune. Friday night I finished putting my 500 miles on :bigthumb

The car rides a lot smoother - heck, I can hear road noise, whereas before I couldn't. I take turns faster - previously my tires would squeel through some turns, and now they don't at higher speeds. I don't have brass balls to push the car any faster right now, because even a speeding ticket would screw over my future career. Blake's MIG welds look better than most people can do with a TIG. The gears - :D What can I say, no whine, and the 4.10's help a lot more than the 3.27's (side note: thanks for talking me away from 3.73's Craig).

I know it's just a 2V 4.6. It's no LS engine, Coyote, or boosted/juiced combo - it's not a speed demon or drag car. But, with a fat torque curve that puts out 292 lb ft of torque at the rear wheels, it's got plenty of pep for me (for now). Keep in mind that my last car made a whopping 120 lb ft at the flywheel...my truck.....well, let's just leave that out of the comparison.

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s127/jeep45238/2003%20Mustang%20GT/FB_IMG_13407486181238269.jpg

Anyways, big props and thanks to the guys down on Vine. Genuinely nice guys that take pride in what they do, and bent over backwards to get my car in and out so I can enjoy it for a few days while I'm still a civilian. Toss Axle a bone for me.

redfirepearlgt
06-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Very nice. Similar numbers to my 02 that had basic bolt ons and a 4.10 gear. That was a fun little car to drive. You will catch plenty of people off guard with it. Good luck at boot camp BTW.

Maximus
06-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Mike,
Thank you for the kind words. Im glad we could get you some quality Stang time with your new mods before you ship off to TX.
Also,
THANK YOU, for your service and stay in touch!

Craig & Crew.:)

akagreg3
06-27-2012, 11:21 AM
that is awe-some :-)) on all of the above
FYI walts is in hamilton now too.... lol i like my sauce on the side

be safe in bootcamp and thx man

Katmandu
06-27-2012, 04:04 PM
Congrats on the mods! :bigthumb

What branch are you going into ? What will your MOS be after Basics ?

Word of advice about the Military....... DO THE WHOLE 20 years! DO NOT GET OUT BEFORE HAND ! Many have got out early are regret it terribly. I did 20 and wish I would've stayed in longer.

The Retirement and VA benefits are second to none!

redrocker
06-27-2012, 04:30 PM
yes , stay for 20 . ididnt but now looking back i wish i had . i would be in alot better shape if i had .

jeep45238
06-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Nearly every post-Vietnam veteran I've spoken to has regretted not doing the full career or longer (save a few that had unexpected family situations that are far more important).

I'm going into the Air Force, my AFSC is 1N031, operations intelligence. Tech School will be at Goodfellow AFB in San Angelos, TX and won't get out till mid February at the earliest. It could be longer if I have to wait for them to start another round of training for that AFSC.

For those of you who are interested, Wild Mike's tonight (the one in Delhi) at 19:30. Look for the fellow with glasses and a grey Air Force PT shirt. Wild Mike's Friday at Harrison/Race at 19:30!

jeep45238
06-30-2012, 12:59 PM
Just put in the third tank of gas since it got tuned. Thanks again for taking the time and squeezing my little ho-hum pony into your shop. I hope to be back for a tune and long tube install after I pay out off and throw on boost.

redfirepearlgt
06-30-2012, 01:42 PM
Nearly every post-Vietnam veteran I've spoken to has regretted not doing the full career or longer (save a few that had unexpected family situations that are far more important).

I'm going into the Air Force, my AFSC is 1N031, operations intelligence. Tech School will be at Goodfellow AFB in San Angelos, TX and won't get out till mid February at the earliest. It could be longer if I have to wait for them to start another round of training for that AFSC.

For those of you who are interested, Wild Mike's tonight (the one in Delhi) at 19:30. Look for the fellow with glasses and a grey Air Force PT shirt. Wild Mike's Friday at Harrison/Race at 19:30!

I suggest (8 years full active military US Navy speaking here) you complete at least one hitch before you start talking lifer commitment. See what it is like and if that life is for you. You are fortunate to be in a branch that is closer to a real job than any other branch of the military.

I went US Navy. It wasn't for me. (Maybe if I was Airforce it would have been different). I still did 8 years. 1 year tech training, 3 years sea, 4 years shore (was extended to the end of my 2nd enlistment since I was not going to re-enlist a third hitch or I would have been back at sea after 3 years shore). I am proud to have served and would not trade the experience I received for anything in the world. Itwas a great growing and learning experience.

Good luck my man. I am darn proud of you and your decision to step up and serve our country. Make your decision on your own experience after some time in and not on the word of every other Tom, Dick, and Harry. God Bless.

jeep45238
08-31-2012, 02:36 PM
I finished today at Lackland, and ship out on Monday at 0300. Definitely a choice I am glad I have made.

Kevin1989
08-31-2012, 04:54 PM
thoes are pretty good numbers honestly with the right suspension and what not that car can go 12.80s im sure!

redfirepearlgt
08-31-2012, 06:24 PM
I finished today at Lackland, and ship out on Monday at 0300. Definitely a choice I am glad I have made.

Well done Airman. Welcome to the status of veteran. You should be proud of yourself. Hopefully you pick up a great tech school as well. Thanks for serving!

Carl
09-01-2012, 12:17 AM
Congrats on graduation Airman! I am at 13.5 years and wouldn't trade a minute of it. Websites like this do help keep me in touch with home so stick around!

Good luck at tech school and don't let the MTL's get ya down.

jeep45238
09-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Thanks. Off to Goodfellow, and I'm quite proud of what I've done so far (and will be doing in the future).

I'm not worried about the MTL's - the MTI's didn't mess with me at all, I just did what I was told (being 28 may have helped, not sure). I'm going to try and get a rope, there was some behaviors that I saw a lot of that I feel will be long term detrimental to the Force; I can't see not liking something without making a stand about it and trying to change it.

Carl
09-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Being older definitely helped. You already have a good head on your shoulders and they probably realized it. DON'T LET THE ROPE GO TO YOUR HEAD. I know it's easy to say it won't, but it can happen without you realizing it.

jeep45238
09-03-2012, 05:33 AM
Power (position) corrupts, I know. That behavior is what has me thinking about the rope strongly.