PDA

View Full Version : how to get started

redrocker
07-01-2012, 02:30 AM
how do u get started in these events

Black Horse
07-01-2012, 01:48 PM
It depends on what you are looking to do. The SCCA and NASA both have a couple Auto-X (driving through a coned course - usually in big parking lots). Its fairly low speed but very technical.

If you are looking to get out on a road race course there are many groups that you can sign-up in their High Performance driver's training classes. NASA does the HPDE's, 10/10ths has several events, and there are a few other organizations I can recommend as well. You go out with an instructor in your own car, they will teach you the course, proper driving techniques, and slowly bring you up to speed. There is class room sessions as well to help you learn the basics and dynamics of high speed driving.

Having a full-prepped car is not even necessary. I have seen people take the classes in a rental Focus, and much more. Basically you need to make sure your car is in sound mechanical shape, especially the brakes (new pads, fresh fluid, etc.) You will be surprised how fast you can go in a basic stock sedan.

If you have any questions, I would be more than glad to help you out! But I will warn you, one hit on the track-crack pipe tends to be enough to hook you forever!

Gene
07-01-2012, 03:41 PM
But I will warn you, one hit on the track-crack pipe tends to be enough to hook you forever!

Yep.

A good simulator for roadracing is to sit in your driveway in 90 degree heat with the contents of your savings. Set them on fire. Repeat every summer. :D

Black Horse
07-01-2012, 04:20 PM
Yep.

A good simulator for roadracing is to sit in your driveway in 90 degree heat with the contents of your savings. Set them on fire. Repeat every summer. :D

Don't forget the grin that never leaves your face!

ThatOneFocusGuy
07-04-2012, 08:56 AM
There is a local autocross event this Sunday at Turfway. It is a SCCA event. Great way to learn what your car can and can not do.

adragon72
07-04-2012, 09:50 AM
We're can I get info on the event this week end

ThatOneFocusGuy
07-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Cincyscca.com