PDA

View Full Version : GONNA C D BIG DAWGS!!!!

redfirepearlgt
07-02-2012, 06:13 PM
This Friday AM - Heading out to see the NHRA Summit Nationals @ Norwalk. Sitting 4th row @ the 100ft mark on the pit side. Will be there for quals through the finals Sunday. Never been to see the big dawgs run before. Looking forward to it. Hoping for a dry weekend.

adragon72
07-02-2012, 06:35 PM
It's a good time I go to Indy every year. I keep meaning to switch for Norwalk atleast once.

smytty
07-02-2012, 08:04 PM
This Friday AM - Heading out to see the NHRA Summit Nationals @ Norwalk. Sitting 4th row @ the 100ft mark on the pit side. Will be there for quals through the finals Sunday. Never been to see the big dawgs run before. Looking forward to it. Hoping for a dry weekend.
Ill be looking for ya, ill be there Sat around 10Am

dedpedal
07-02-2012, 08:32 PM
Take plenty of sunscreen, water and hearing protection. I use shooters muffs. A bit bulkier but I hate the inserts in my ear. Youll have a blast!

redfirepearlgt
07-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Ill be looking for ya, ill be there Sat around 10Am

Outstanding!!!!! Will PM you our the seat location. At work currently.

redfirepearlgt
07-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Take plenty of sunscreen, water and hearing protection. I use shooters muffs. A bit bulkier but I hate the inserts in my ear. Youll have a blast!

Thanks man. Picked up 16 pairs of high quality ear plugs (the bud style) at work. Will be taking plenty of sunscreen and water as well. Thanks for the heads up and the reminder.

Katmandu
07-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Take hearing protection!Pfft! Ear protection is for wussies! :lol:

Ever seen grown men CRY at an NHRA event ? Well, my buddy's did! Here's the proof! :D :lol:

http://katmanduonline.net/pics/NHRA/photos/photo2.jpg

http://katmanduonline.net/pics/NHRA/photos/photo12.jpg

Here's some more pics of that day...

http://katmanduonline.net/pics/NHRA/index.html

Here's John Force before he made a run...

http://katmanduonline.net/pics/NHRA/photos/photo6.jpg

smytty
07-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Thanks man. Picked up 16 pairs of high quality ear plugs (the bud style) at work. Will be taking plenty of sunscreen and water as well. Thanks for the heads up and the reminder.Nothing a pair of finger tips can take care of lol... Nitro are the only ones youll need them on.. Other cars are pussycats compared to TC and FC...
We are on Summit side, Champion section Row T seat 1 and 2

Katmandu
07-02-2012, 09:09 PM
Picked up 16 pairs of high quality ear plugs (the bud style) at work.You won't need them. :smokin: :D

Actually..... You WILL NEED them! There is nothing on the planet ear that will prepare you for how LOUD Top Fuel dragsters are up close and personal! You will be shocked! Trust me!

It's frigging AWESOME !!! :bigthumb :bigthumb :bigthumb

maverick
07-02-2012, 09:56 PM
Good time, I haven't seen them for awhile. They are the ultimate machines

redfirepearlgt
07-03-2012, 12:06 AM
Can't wait. Even louder Katman than a pair of F/A 18's (GE404 ENGINES) doing a Mach 1.5+ flyby 300 ft above the carrier flight deck???? COOL!!!!!!!! Have ear plugs will travel!

redfirepearlgt
07-03-2012, 12:14 AM
Nothing a pair of finger tips can take care of lol... Nitro are the only ones youll need them on.. Other cars are pussycats compared to TC and FC...
We are on Summit side, Champion section Row T seat 1 and 2

Budweiser side - Garlits section 2B Row JJ Seats 14, and 15.

Katmandu
07-03-2012, 01:55 AM
Can't wait. Even louder Katman than a pair of F/A 18's (GE404 ENGINES) doing a Mach 1.5+ flyby 300 ft above the carrier flight deck???? I've never experienced that but would give my left nut to do so! :lol: :lol: :lol:

redfirepearlgt
07-03-2012, 08:04 AM
I've never experienced that but would give my left nut to do so! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry just assumed being airforce career you would have heard and felt quite a few sonic booms and fighter flybys.

Katmandu
07-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Sorry just assumed being airforce career you would have heard and felt quite a few sonic booms and fighter flybys.I've heard a few, but never from the deck of a carrier. :bigthumb

Plus, I spent most of my career inside a hospital laboratory. Not many sonic booms there unless I was yelling at a stupid doctor or something like that! :lol:

smytty
07-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Holy hell it was hot there...
Did hear that one of the cars racing, not any of the big classes, had a 942 cubic inch motor:eek:

redfirepearlgt
07-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Just got back. Saw Rocky there Saturday. DAG was it hot. I was fine until today. Finally got a little burn this afternoon.And yes some of those lower NHRA classes were running 903 cubes and bigger. I thought I heard wrong as well. But then on the next round I heard it again.

We left after we saw Pedregon go down. Since it was an all Ford field from that point forward and there were no Fords in Super Stock we decided to spare our hides and further injury and get home.

Both days we lucked into a parking attendant gone "entrepreneur" and received premo parking just feet from the entrance on an end with quick exit.

As far as loud, DAMN, and DAMN, DAMN! It was awesome. Everyone said the stand shook and I thought yeah okay so they will vibrate a little. HOLY MOTHER OF PEARL!!! Man were they loud. It was awesome. I think a sonic boom is initially louder but it is not sustained for 4 seconds like that was. Both are very close in frequency, but the Nitro F/I cars just keep pounding and pounding. LOVE it!

Got within arms reach of Force and asked for a photo but either he did not hear me or he was short on time. I may have asked polite enough that he did not know how to respond either. Many were very pushy. I refuse to be some chuckle head star struck jackass that has to carry on just ot get an autograph. I was not interested in an autograph. Just a photo with him. Thats okay. Got photos of him Friday Evening signing in the back of his pit area.

We had a super time. I can now say I have done it and will not likely do it again. Great experience but was not totally bitten by the NHRA bug. Will watch it on TV from now on. To be honest, I get more excitement watching the local UMTR and other brackets @ E20, and going to NMRA a couple years back at Bowling Green was real fun. Looking forward to goingto Kilkare on July 21 to watch Xtreme Outlaw after the GAC event.

Got to run. See you all around.

smytty
07-09-2012, 12:05 AM
Glad you liked it, it scared the shit out of my wife the first TF pass lol....

We stayed till after the first Nitro session then headed home was just too hot...

When we got home i watched it on TV and by the 330 Nitro session it looked like the stands were damn near empty bc of the heat lol.... Goodtimes though

Katmandu
07-10-2012, 01:31 AM
As far as loud, DAMN, and DAMN, DAMN! It was awesome. Everyone said the stand shook and I thought yeah okay so they will vibrate a little. HOLY MOTHER OF PEARL!!! Man were they loud. It was awesome. I think a sonic boom is initially louder but it is not sustained for 4 seconds like that was. Both are very close in frequency, but the Nitro F/I cars just keep pounding and pounding. LOVE it! .You weren't expecting that were you ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

redfirepearlgt
07-10-2012, 08:41 AM
You weren't expecting that were you ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

You ain't a kiddin" Kat. It was impressive. What I also noticed that can't be heard on TV, is that when they are finally staged just before they launch (unlike prostock and others) the engines tones suddenly become smoother and they get a notably more mellow note. They go from that BLAP, BLAP-BLAP, BLAP,to a bumpita-bumpita-bumpita sound. It's like the quiet before the storm. I assume they load up on engine just a lightly after staging with the hand brake lightly set. Just guessing. It seems to be the quietest the cars are at any point when the engines are running. It's even quiter and smoother than when they are sitting as the crew goes through the checks before they stage. Then BRAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!! I could look away and people watch while they were between burnout and staging and tell by the tone when to look over to catch them come off the light.

Guess that is the only way to describe it. I am so used to hearing all the gasoline or Race Fuel cars come up against their two stage rev limiters after staging that this was uniquely different.

Katmandu
07-12-2012, 02:20 AM
You ain't a kiddin" Kat. It was impressive. :lol: :lol:

First time I heard a Top Fuel dragster, my buddy and I were walking back in the pits and one fired up about 50 feet away. I jumped out of my skin it was SO F***ing loud! :D I've been hooked ever since. :bigthumb