PDA

View Full Version : ASE Cert question

satan jamez
07-17-2012, 04:25 PM
I'm considering making a career change to Automotive tech and starting with ASE certs. I have rebuilt engines, brakes, suspensions ect... on 100's of cars over the last 20 years.

My only hiccup is that in order to receive your ASE Cert you must have 2 years experience. Funny how that always works.... person looks for work but doesn't have experience. It's an interesting dilemma.

Like most of you, I've been turning wrenches must of my life (i'm 33 years old). Ultimately, I think working out of my home would suite me best since I can cut out the middle man, not to mention I have the garage setup for it as well as tons of tools.

What would you do?

NXcoupe
07-17-2012, 04:42 PM
Take the tests, if you pass, they give you a temp until you get your 2 years experience under your belt, and then you get the cert. Last I checked that's how it went. I sent a bunch of high school students to take the tests and that's how they worked it.

V8Mustang1967
07-17-2012, 04:47 PM
I did it how NXcoupe said. I was in auto tech for 2 years of high school and then 1 year in college. I got my 2 years in during high school at a shop with school to work and also in the summer. I got mine and never used it. Got a job that pays triple what most automotive jobs do and even having my ASE certs no shop would hire me cause they either were not looking (with a Help Wanted sign out front WTF?) or i was over qualified for it. Oh well not upset one bit.