PDA

View Full Version : Open carry question

2007ShelbyCobra
07-23-2012, 11:41 PM
First off, I am 20 years old. Being that I must be 21 years of age to buy a handgun, do I have to be 21 to legally open carry a handgun? After all this shit with the batman movie and zombies, id considering open carry in some situations until im 21 and can get a CCW.
Thanks

2Kblacksleeper
07-24-2012, 01:02 AM
I'm pretty sure since you have to be 21 to legally buy a hand gun, I'd assume the same for open carry of said handgun.

Call the sheriffs office and ask.

John

MustangChuck
07-24-2012, 02:40 AM
Some good info on these sites it seems:

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/enforcement/concealed-carry

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/concealedcarrybook

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/ohio-ccw-information-center

http://www.usacarry.com/ohio_concealed_carry_permit_information.html

Walter
07-24-2012, 07:56 AM
This should turn out great.

jktruckin06
07-24-2012, 08:04 AM
This should turn out great.

Haha. Well you see here...

blue5.8
07-24-2012, 08:26 AM
you can not open carry if you are not even old enough to own a hand gun. and when you do turn 21 you are better off getting your ccw because if you open carry and induce pannic just because someone sees you with it.you then will be charged for induceing panic.

Kevin1989
07-24-2012, 09:11 AM
you can not open carry if you are not even old enough to own a hand gun. and when you do turn 21 you are better off getting your ccw because if you open carry and induce pannic just because someone sees you with it.you then will be charged for induceing panic.

What he said! Your not old enough to own a pistol, therefore you cannot have one in your possession, and my dads had people call the police on him because his shirt came up a little and they could see the tip of the barrel. Open carry isn't the wisest thing to do at all. Even then if your open carry there cannot be a magazine in the gun. And i don't know if it's just me but if I need my gun I sure as shit don't wanna have to load, jack one in the chamber, then point. Just wait till your turn 21 take the class.

facemelter71
07-24-2012, 09:47 AM
What he said! Your not old enough to own a pistol, therefore you cannot have one in your possession, and my dads had people call the police on him because his shirt came up a little and they could see the tip of the barrel. Open carry isn't the wisest thing to do at all. Even then if your open carry there cannot be a magazine in the gun. And i don't know if it's just me but if I need my gun I sure as shit don't wanna have to load, jack one in the chamber, then point. Just wait till your turn 21 take the class.

Hope you did your homework on that one.

Kevin1989
07-24-2012, 10:00 AM
Hope you did your homework on that one.

When I took my class that was the case and that's what my instructor told me, the you can have the fire arm on your side in plain view but it cannot be loaded. Weather it's true beyond that point I dont know. I always assumed that since he said it it was true! Lol

facemelter71
07-24-2012, 10:14 AM
It can be carried loaded or unloaded openly. And you cant just get arrested for disorderly conduct or inducing panic. They have to have probable cause.
http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/873

HawksWR37
07-24-2012, 10:50 AM
When I took my class that was the case and that's what my instructor told me, the you can have the fire arm on your side in plain view but it cannot be loaded. Weather it's true beyond that point I dont know. I always assumed that since he said it it was true! Lol

This only applies while you are in a car. and in that case you can't have your magazine in the gun and you can't have any rounds in your magazine.

There are a lot of horror stories of police coming in guns drawn for people open carrying. get on http://www.ohioccw.org
a lot of info and testimonials for you.

Also when you carry a gun, concealed or open. a police officer has the right to run the serial number and make sure it is registered to you. so if you are 20 how can it be registered to you?

facemelter71
07-24-2012, 10:52 AM
This only applies while you are in a car. and in that case you can't have your magazine in the gun and you can't have any rounds in your magazine.

There are a lot of horror stories of police coming in guns drawn for people open carrying. get on http://www.ohioccw.org
a lot of info and testimonials for you.

Also when you carry a gun, concealed or open. a police officer has the right to run the serial number and make sure it is registered to you. so if you are 20 how can it be registered to you?

While open carry. No,he sure doesnt. Concealed carry,unless he wants to run it he can. And that is to make sure the weapon is not stolen,and thats only if your stopped in a car by police.They shouldnt even know you have one untill you tell them you do. Guns are not registered to you.

HawksWR37
07-24-2012, 11:04 AM
While open carry. No,he sure doesnt. Concealed carry,unless he wants to run it he can. And that is to make sure the weapon is not stolen,and thats only if your stopped in a car by police.They shouldnt even know you have one untill you tell them you do. Guns are not registered to you.

When police respond to a call of someone openly carrying, they are going to detain you for inducing panic. they confiscate your gun and run the numbers.

a registered ccw holder shows up when they run your liscense so yes they do know that you are a premit holder before you tell them.

facemelter71
07-24-2012, 11:07 AM
When police respond to a call of someone openly carrying, they are going to detain you for inducing panic. they confiscate your gun and run the numbers.

a registered ccw holder shows up when they run your liscense so yes they do know that you are a premit holder before you tell them.

They run the numbers to make sure its not stolen or tied to some thing illegal. They are not registered to you.

They cannot detain you for open carry if some one calls on you,they have to have PROBABLE CAUSE. Which means that they have to believe that you are either breaking the law,or are going to break the law. You are not breaking the law by open carrying.

blue5.8
07-24-2012, 11:14 AM
from my understanding the ohio law reads as you can be detained for open carrying and inducing panic

blue5.8
07-24-2012, 11:16 AM
http://opencarry.org/oh.html

9cobra4
07-24-2012, 12:08 PM
Yeah I'm sure they can detain you for inducing panic, if you actually induce panic. If you start waving it around you deserve to be arrested. But they're not going to arrest you just because some tree hugging homo calls the cops because you're open carrying. It's not illegal to do so, so they can't arrest you just having a gun holstered.

facemelter71
07-24-2012, 12:09 PM
Its not against the law to open carry a firearm. You are not breaking any law for them to "detain" you.

HawksWR37
07-24-2012, 01:05 PM
Yeah I'm sure they can detain you for inducing panic, if you actually induce panic. If you start waving it around you deserve to be arrested. But they're not going to arrest you just because some tree hugging homo calls the cops because you're open carrying. It's not illegal to do so, so they can't arrest you just having a gun holstered.

I never said arrested, I said detained. They Will put you in cuff and set you in the cruiser until they figure the situation out. Dispatch doesn't know its some tree hugging homo. the call the officer gets is a man with a gun, which they don't take lightly at all. You think those cops are your friends? no your just a guy with a gun and they have no idea what your intentions are.

HawksWR37
07-24-2012, 01:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9uq5mMRG6A

9cobra4
07-24-2012, 01:35 PM
I never said arrested, I said detained. They Will put you in cuff and set you in the cruiser until they figure the situation out. Dispatch doesn't know its some tree hugging homo. the call the officer gets is a man with a gun, which they don't take lightly at all. You think those cops are your friends? no your just a guy with a gun and they have no idea what your intentions are.

My apologies, I assumed you meant arrested. The situation you're describing is very plausible, but I would imagine the man with the gun would be released rather quickly after they find out he's not doing anything to warrant an arrest.

HawksWR37
07-24-2012, 01:55 PM
but you know how some cops are lol. my ccw told me since i'm young to expect the cops to want to search everything in my car just to mess with me. which i wouldn't expect any less.

Rick93coupe
07-24-2012, 02:13 PM
I've found my CCW probably gets me out of more tickets than I would otherwise. I'm speculating here but I've been driving with a headlight out and had a trooper turn around and get behind me, run my plates and then back off and head the other way. Another time I had a tail light out and the same thing happened with a Sheriff. I can only assume that either they realize my background check came out ok and it's not worth their time to issue me a warning or they weigh out the likelihood I'm armed and a loon. Either way, it's been nice.

05yellowgt
07-24-2012, 02:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9uq5mMRG6A
The subject of the video may have likely been totally within the law, but without doing further research, I wouldn't be surprised if he was detained and arrested for disorderly conduct from the scene that was caused by his loud protest. Piss an officer off and he'll always have something to bust you for.

HawksWR37
07-24-2012, 03:44 PM
I've found my CCW probably gets me out of more tickets than I would otherwise. I'm speculating here but I've been driving with a headlight out and had a trooper turn around and get behind me, run my plates and then back off and head the other way. Another time I had a tail light out and the same thing happened with a Sheriff. I can only assume that either they realize my background check came out ok and it's not worth their time to issue me a warning or they weigh out the likelihood I'm armed and a loon. Either way, it's been nice.

Well i'm always on my best behavior while driving now soley on the fact i don't want to have to deal with the hassle of a cop messing with me and wanting to see my gun or whatever. its not worth my time.

2007ShelbyCobra
07-24-2012, 07:28 PM
thanks for the info. I knew it wasnt the best question, but for some reason i couldnt find the answer on google. I plan on getting my CCW permit when im 21,, but i got like 10 months lol

HawksWR37
07-24-2012, 11:56 PM
thanks for the info. I knew it wasnt the best question, but for some reason i couldnt find the answer on google. I plan on getting my CCW permit when im 21,, but i got like 10 months lol

Do your research before you get it, Its a huge responsibility and shouldn't be taken lightly.

Black92LX
07-25-2012, 12:11 AM
Wow, this thread is full of lots of bad/erroneous information.

Presuming you are in Ohio you cannot posess a handgun under the age of 21 without someone with you. Therefore open carry can get you a charge.
If you are in Ky it's only illegal for a licensed dealer to sell a handgun to someone under 21. If you're over 18 you can possess a handgun and buy one from a private seller. Open carry is fine but concealed requires a permit which can only be applied for once 21.

As for open carrying and getting detained sure it can happen, but just because one is open carrying doesn't mean a thing.

But open carry isn't the best idea. Yeah sure people can do it but concealed is much more conducive for many reasons.

Though there are a few times I am all for open carry. Generally takes place in Israel but would not mind it happening more in the states
http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01546/bikini-gun-girl_1546417a.jpg