PDA

View Full Version : Is a police auction worth going to?

USMCPONY
07-27-2012, 07:07 PM
I saw a 2001 BMW M3 convert with 30,000 miles in mint condition advertised to be auctioned off at a police auction. I love to buy it if it was an awesome deal but do popular cars in good condition sell that much cheaper than if I was to get a good deal from a private seller? Ive never ben to any auction or a police auction for that matter. Just looking for some input. Thanks

mwaller5672
07-27-2012, 07:54 PM
Never been to an auction. I'm amazed. Your house must be Empty. It's hard to figure on the police auctions. It all depends on who shows. I always went with dad to the old farm auctions. You could come home with a pickup full.

jktruckin06
07-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Dude I've only been to one and it was the goodwill auto in woodlawn. Right after tax time, it was insane. Like Taurus and intrepid that didn't start for 2000 bucks insane.

Good luck though

MWoods26
07-27-2012, 08:30 PM
I went to a Hamilton County Sheriffs auction back in about 2003 or so. That had a 1999 GSXR 600 listed that I was interested in. It was one of the last things to auction off so I was there all day long. The bike went for way more than I felt it was worth and waaaay more than I was willing to pay. The one I was at had a ton of people at it so nothing was going cheap. In most cases I think things sold for more than they were worth. I know that poor kid that bought the GSXR got hosed. He would have been better off picking up a cycle trader mag at the gas station since this was long before craigslist days. There was one guy there that I was talking too that bought somesort of lowrider old chevy. It looked really ruff to me but the guy that bought it told me there were 5 times what he paid for it worth of pumps and hydrolic stuff in it. So I guess he made out just from knowing what he was looking at and there wasnt any other G units there to bid against him.

NXcoupe
07-27-2012, 08:52 PM
I gave up going to auctions, everyone thinks they can buy stuff and then resell and make a bundle. Problem is, they don't know what stuff is worth and when to say, enough. I saw stuff sell for 10 to 40% too high, especially for a no warranty, as-is condition where you can't hear it run or drive it. Just crazy. Everyone's so convinced they're getting a deal because it's an auction, they just bid the stuff up. You want to see stupid high bids, go to a storage auction since storage wars came out. Everyone's seeing gold bricks in the back of the unit. lol. It's fun to go to an auction, just don't get your hopes up at getting something cheap.

mad max
07-27-2012, 11:17 PM
Reality tv has ruined the world we live in. LOL

thecollector
07-28-2012, 01:13 AM
Reality tv has ruined the world we live in. LOL

Few truer words have been spoken. If g money couldn't keep enough oil in the crankcase to keep it from dying on the side of the road and didn't want to buy i it from impound why would you buy it as is where is?

Cincys fleet auction isn't horrible but its niche vehicles not everyone wants or needs, and lately it has also been getting bid high for ragged out cruisers and rust bucket equipment.

Xowner
07-28-2012, 01:17 AM
Just figure what your willing to pay and bid it. If it goes for more walk away. All it takes is the one time something slips threw and your their. Just dont get caught up in the bidding.

Pitbull1052
07-30-2012, 08:16 AM
I have an uncle who's a hamilton county Sheriff and they do get some really sweet deals there the problem is the Sheriff's get first shot at it all so anything that's a deal is going to be gone before the auction opens

50dan
07-30-2012, 09:12 AM
People get bid happy and pay way too much for shit!

sean
07-30-2012, 10:03 AM
I used to go to Cincinnati auto action and adesa. The high dollar cars usually still go for a pretty high dollar. if you just want to pick up a few beaters to flip you can still do that. 600 to 3000 dollar cars that you can flip are pretty easy to find if you know what your looking at.

blown86lx
07-30-2012, 07:23 PM
I have a friend that bought a GMC Syclone from a goodwill action for $2500 turn key and drive. It only has 91,000 miles on it , it needed tires and a windshield and a couple of body kit pieces and paint. He figured it all up and he will have about $4500 when its done. Nobody there knew what is what but him, they advertised it as a GMC pickup

Katmandu
07-30-2012, 10:58 PM
It all depends on who shows. That is the KEY right there. It's ALL LUCK.

As in gambling, NEVER bid more than your willing to lose. :bigthumb

Katmandu
07-30-2012, 10:59 PM
BTW, check out......

http://www.govdeals.com/

A whole lot of good auction stuff here. :bigthumb

BIGRED Z
08-03-2012, 04:15 AM
Everyone's seeing gold bricks in the back of the unit. lol. It's fun to go to an auction, just don't get your hopes up at getting something cheap.

This made me chuckle. :bigthumb

pegasus
08-05-2012, 01:24 PM
BTW, check out......

http://www.govdeals.com/

A whole lot of good auction stuff here. :bigthumb

x1 you can even buy a firetruck cheap there
one day when my ship comes in im going to buy a ambulance to haul my tools and car to the track and you can sleep in the back as long as its not from a volly dept they should be very well kept up

Walter
08-05-2012, 03:23 PM
I saw a 2001 BMW M3 convert with 30,000 miles in mint condition advertised to be auctioned off at a police auction. I love to buy it if it was an awesome deal but do popular cars in good condition sell that much cheaper than if I was to get a good deal from a private seller? Ive never ben to any auction or a police auction for that matter. Just looking for some input. Thanks

Dang baller, I need a job where you work.

Gene
08-05-2012, 04:54 PM
x1 you can even buy a firetruck cheap there
one day when my ship comes in im going to buy a ambulance to haul my tools and car to the track and you can sleep in the back as long as its not from a volly dept they should be very well kept up

We used to do that for our transporters for motorcycle racing in the 80s and 90s. Just swap the rear gear for a highway friendly ratio and you're good to go.