PDA

View Full Version : Shudder in E4OD trans in 1991 RV

RIXXX93GT
08-02-2012, 04:11 PM
For the entire time I have owned my motor home the trans has made a growling or slight grinding metallic noise with small shudder after it shifts into 3rd gear. It only does it for maybe 2-3 seconds and it doesnt seem to affect the operation. Only way I can describe it is that it grinds, and shudders then goes away. I have towed my race car all this year and it has not caused any issues at all. I am planning on driving out west next year and would like to figure out what the deal is before I hit the road. Anyone familiar with this issue? Also if a rebuild was in order what improvements can be made during a rebuild? If it matters this vehicle has the OD on/off button on the dash.

dr59l
08-02-2012, 05:25 PM
Is it doin it during tcc lock up maybe? E40d an 4r100 trans are known for slipping tcc and converter chatter. Feel like railroad tracks. As much as they run i would pull it down buy a good converter an verify if any worn parts are in it. Spiral od lock rings good clutch steel combos an sure cure kits are available to cure all weak links an improve shifting. I went thru this in my 02 superduty had to put a fm64l converter in it an the accumulator .427 kit for firmer shifts