PDA

View Full Version : supercharged injection vs. supercharged carburated..

93notch
08-08-2012, 08:10 AM
whats the pros and cons, other than the ability to tune without software, of running a carbed sbf vs. fuel injection with a v1 supercharger? im stroking my small block and aiming for some low qtr mile #s and wonder if it would keep it alot more simple just switching to a blow through set up to make tuning easier. i dont know anything about running a blow through supercharger , and i dont know what changes ill have to make to the injected tune or components(injectors and so on) in adding cubes to the current set up. the car isnt a d/d but does get the saturday night cruise here and there so street manors arent the biggest concern.
.........the other option is to get rid of the v1 and spray 2 stages. i have plenty of experience with juice and wouldnt be afraid to go that route but i want to see where opinions would put their money to make some power

Adam@S&MMotorsports
08-08-2012, 09:06 AM
Are you looking at factory engine management or aftermarket? How much power are you trying to make?

93notch
08-08-2012, 10:56 AM
factory if i stay with the injection... msd digital if i go carb. fast stand alone is a little out of the budget . i wont go for insane power.. im using a factory block so itll stay conservative. if i run in the mid to low 10s in the qtr on pump gas ill be happy. the other option is to build a 408. i have 2 windsors sitting there but id rather stay with the 302 block and be able to reuse my trick flo heads and long tubes. frees up $$ to spend elsewhere in the motor

93notch
08-08-2012, 10:57 AM
its set up with factory now with a msd/vortec ign box and msd boost timing controler. the current tune waas done up in michigan by lideo

ibstrokin
08-09-2012, 12:59 AM
I have never seen a blow through carb work on anything but a full on race car. I'm not saying it hasn't worked, but the setups I've seen didn't work well. If you were going blow through carb, I would suggest a carb box that encloses the carb. That way pressure is equal on the inside and out side of the carb, and you don't have to worry about boost pressure pushing out gaskets. Fuel injection allows your tune to be variable depending on load and boost. Fuel injection in general may be more expensive, but it does work better...in my opinion.

draggin50
08-10-2012, 11:13 PM
My car was blow thru and worked fine. I just had problems with the belts... I will be switching over to a turbo over the winter and also fuel injection. There are a few good companies out there that will sell you a good carb and work great out of the box.

93notch
08-12-2012, 11:37 AM
so wich route would the majority ofo people go for the power adder?...s/c or n2o? .. i already have the v1 on the car making 14# boost.. it works good, but i wonder if i could make more power running a carb and a couple stages without the s/c...sell the v1 set up and buy a fogger. .. or running the s/c and spraying it also?? ..i like that idea but everyone seems to be scared of that combo.. im just trying to figure out the best combo before i can start to build the new engine. hoping to find some input from someone that has seen both options run.. what carb were you running draggin 50?what was the belt issue all about?i run a cog drive 2" belt on my v1 and have never had an issue...or was yours something else?

Adam@S&MMotorsports
08-13-2012, 09:26 AM
So this car is on 14lb with a V1 and TFS heads and isn't running 10s? How much power did it make? Your current combo should already be making block splitting horsepower with the proper tune ...

mustangjon
08-13-2012, 09:33 AM
So this car is on 14lb with a V1 and TFS heads and isn't running 10s? How much power did it make? Your current combo should already be making block splitting horsepower with the proper tune ...

That was my comment in his other thread. I was confused myself how the motor needs changed....

93notch
08-13-2012, 10:21 AM
it dynoed 525 at the wheels. that was roughly 9 years ago. the car seemed to develop excessive crank case pressure and was parked for that 9 years roughly. im sure the issue didnt heal and im figuring its rings allowing excessive blow by. that would be a loss of power. the other qtr mile problem was most likely that the clutch went away. im thinking after the first pass and possably during it was slipping. theres alot of different possabilities i suppose, but the main reason to rebuild is the crank case press issue. if the v1 at 14# should put it in those numbers then ill build a 347 and leave it on the boost. maybe ill trailer it down your way to get it tuned this time instead of up at alternative

93notch
08-13-2012, 10:23 AM
( thats 525 i was told when i bought it)... i do know the guy i got it from and he wouldnt lie to me , but thats only worth so much. personally i dont believe it makes that.

93notch
08-13-2012, 10:27 AM
please excuse my ignorance in the supercharger world also... im still in the learning stage with forced induction. i mastered nitrous, but this is a little different. i dont really know where it should be so i appreciate the input

Adam@S&MMotorsports
08-14-2012, 09:11 AM
it dynoed 525 at the wheels. that was roughly 9 years ago. the car seemed to develop excessive crank case pressure and was parked for that 9 years roughly. im sure the issue didnt heal and im figuring its rings allowing excessive blow by. that would be a loss of power. the other qtr mile problem was most likely that the clutch went away. im thinking after the first pass and possably during it was slipping. theres alot of different possabilities i suppose, but the main reason to rebuild is the crank case press issue. if the v1 at 14# should put it in those numbers then ill build a 347 and leave it on the boost. maybe ill trailer it down your way to get it tuned this time instead of up at alternative

It could have popped a ring land as well. 347 CI won't do you any good on a stock block. Your block is still the limiting factor...

93notch
08-14-2012, 02:48 PM
dart has that cure.
ill get the rotating assembly done and get it all put together and figure out where to go for the tune

Adam@S&MMotorsports
08-14-2012, 03:16 PM
Yes they do, I didn't know you had that in the budget.

ibstrokin
08-14-2012, 04:15 PM
525 Rwhp on a 302 H/C/I, 14#, 5 speed is very attainable. I made 553 on a similar setup w/a 331, numerous guys on hers have made 540 on 302's.

93notch
08-14-2012, 05:04 PM
im putting it down till its fixed so im not in a huge hurry to get it back out. it wont roll back out till spring. id rather build it right than squeek by with a factory block. i know that dart will handle whatever i throw at it..lol . mine may have dynoed 525 but its evident that theres a serious power robbing problem in it because it should run way better than 12s.

my thought is to put an eagle forged steel/h beam rotating assembly in that dart , run my trick flows with the ported gt40 upper and lower and a better solid roller cam. stay with the v1 and get my c4 built with about a 3800 stahl and a brake ... and id still like to spray it at the track with a wet system. im not running an intercooler and i think that shot would definately add some excitement( and a cooler charge)