PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a water feature/pond/coy pond?

BIGRED Z
08-10-2012, 11:48 AM
*Koi pond...sorry...been awake too long.

I have an 18x20 raised garden. What I can manage to grow, the deer eat. Thinking of digging out the dirt and making a water feature. Who has experience in building these? I pretty much have all the space I need. I was thinking I could either use a prefab pond thingy, or use a liner of some sort to line the dug-out area.

I have access to electric to run a fountain so I don't inadvertently create a mosquito breeding ground.

But I need some advice. I really don't care if there are fish in it...in fact what do you do with them in winter?

mustangjon
08-10-2012, 12:03 PM
There are heaters to keep them from freezing either way, fish or no fish. Prefab will be more expensive but wont develop the leaks you can get from the liner style.

BIGRED Z
08-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Heaters eh? Can I double this a a hot tub??? LOL!!

This is news, had no idea about heaters. I was wondering how I would keep the fountain components from freezing though.

What about plants I would need to keep it from becoming a scum filled horror?

mustangjon
08-10-2012, 12:18 PM
That stuff I dont know, I would assume keeping water above freezing temp would keep the fountain stuff unfrozen too, but might have to remove in winter. I dunno on the plants and such, if it shaded it will help with the scum, but there are chemicals to add, to kill algae and if no fish you wouldnt have to be careful with chemicals but unless you want floaters im sure with fish there are different treatments

jktruckin06
08-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Hey, check out gcas.org it is full of all kinds of information as well as local people that can guide you in the right direction

BIGRED Z
08-10-2012, 12:44 PM
Don't want floaters!!! *Cartmen voice* Bring ur bitch ass over and build me a pond!!!

BIGRED Z
08-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Hey, check out gcas.org it is full of all kinds of information as well as local people that can guide you in the right direction

Will do!! Thanks for the suggestion!! Also planning on building a FIREPIT area as well...already have a big ass screened in deck. Just trying to do the joint up right!

jktruckin06
08-10-2012, 01:04 PM
Heard that. Fire pits are fun.

BIGRED Z
08-10-2012, 01:09 PM
Indeed they are!~ I am a lifelong boater/camper. I love the smell of a fire!! Once I get it all built...we can have a SBZ bonfire!!!

BIGRED Z
08-10-2012, 01:14 PM
We can all hang and drink. I shall invite Venom. And if he's as big a butthead in person like he is online...we shall push him in the fire!!! YAY!

mustangjon
08-10-2012, 01:36 PM
ROFL, well plan a sat evening or a sunday to do the work and we'll be more than happy to help out. Other than the posted weekends in sept, and aug 26th .

BIGRED Z
08-10-2012, 02:20 PM
ROFL, well plan a sat evening or a sunday to do the work and we'll be more than happy to help out. Other than the posted weekends in sept, and aug 26th .

Jon!!! We totally need to hook up! One..me and Candy can compare gem notes...you and kev can hook up...in a non sexual way of course, and do the manual labor...with the evening culminating in a firepit drinking good time!

Kevin1989
08-10-2012, 04:32 PM
There are all kinds of products to keep the pond clean and the fish if you choose to have them alive... Unless you want to spend some coin on some koi fish I would just have no fish. Thoes bastards are expensive. Gold fish are pretty strong and will get pretty big. We have a lot of clients with water features in gardens, the biggest thing we do is to keep the filters in the pumps or aerators clean. If you put fish in it they will keep the bugs down, frogs can also work too.

Jake
08-10-2012, 10:35 PM
our pond is big (read deep) enough so that the fish can survive in the winter. you need something to keep the water aerated when the top freezes over though. we have a couple koi, one bigger than my forearm, and a couple dozen goldfish. I don't recall how much koi cost, but we bought ours as little guys ten years ago and they seem to be going strong still. we don't use any chemicals that I'm aware of (it's my dads project) we have a filter that seems to work pretty well. what someone above said about preformed vs. using some sort of liner is hauntingly true. chasing down leaks is a pain, so if you have a dog that might want to hop in, it may be best to avoid using liners. good luck!

jktruckin06
08-10-2012, 11:23 PM
http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-health/choosing-fish/mail-order-koi.aspx

read that about picking out and buying koi if ya get bored

redfirepearlgt
08-10-2012, 11:53 PM
Heaters eh? Can I double this a a hot tub??? LOL!!

This is news, had no idea about heaters. I was wondering how I would keep the fountain components from freezing though.

What about plants I would need to keep it from becoming a scum filled horror?

I can imagine the stories on this one already. Anyone got a lighter and a White Castle 10 pack? LOL!

BTW my uncle had one of these fish ponds in his yard. He tore it out after he kept having water snakes come live in it.