PDA

View Full Version : any truck drivers here

pegasus
08-27-2012, 03:46 AM
The guys I'm getting my cdl class a soon at some point I would like to be a owner/operator are there any good forums I should look up???

Chunk94GT
08-27-2012, 04:43 AM
I drive a truck, I don't do any forums for trucking, but my best advice is don't do it. With the economy the way it is, and the rise of fuel cost, you would have to own your own truck and trailer getting top dollar for your loads, with a good surcharge. I'm a company driver, always have been, and there are alot of good companies that offer good freight and pay for there load. Use there equipment and haul there loads for a decent pay and surcharge. If your just getting your CDL, learn the industry and to drive. It's more than just getting a trailer going to point A to B then doing it again.

jktruckin06
08-27-2012, 05:49 AM
What he said. Owner ops talk a lot of talk most of the time. Also what kind of home time do you want. I suspect most o/o stay on the road. In all reality, running linehaul (at night which blows), you could make nearly 6 figures once topped out with a good bid. That is working for someone. I'm at the low end, hauling local truckload and do 40 a year. Just think long and hard before you sign on a truck. Good luck

pegasus
08-27-2012, 02:08 PM
I know Im years away from owning a truck (hopefully things will get better by then) but i want to transport cars and haul grain on my days off from the fire dept when i get on a full time dept till then I just want somthing local

Chunk94GT
08-27-2012, 03:06 PM
The trucking industry is a hard industry to grow in. If you are wanting to haul cars, then you are going to need 3-4 good solid years of exp before a car hauling company will look at you. Getting a local position with a fresh CDL and no exp is hard. But with todays economy and shortage of drivers its possible. I spent 3yrs hauling chemical over the road, and I have been hauling gas locally for over 2yrs now. My best advise if you are dead set on doing it, is to set yourself apart. Go haul something specialized, like tankers, flatbed, things along that line. There are millions of drivers that can pull a van, but drivers that have exp in tankers, or running flatbeds are hard to come by, so they tend to pay better.

pegasus
08-28-2012, 02:11 AM
Right on. Thanks for the advice a friend to mines dad drives for lykins oil and he said after I get it done he will keep a eye open for a opening

95redstang
08-28-2012, 07:40 AM
I drive for pepsi and i have talked to a few owner op guys. They say that that put out a ton of money and they get under cut quite a bit. Not sure how true but its somethink about

jktruckin06
08-28-2012, 09:00 AM
Which Pepsi you work at? Sunnybrook?

95redstang
08-28-2012, 09:57 AM
Yeah sunnybrook

jktruckin06
08-28-2012, 11:01 AM
Oh brother... lol. I've spent some hours there. Only good thing is the 50 cent bottles of pop.

Stangman
08-28-2012, 11:50 AM
Wtf.... I want pop for 50c a bottle... lol

Chunk94GT
08-28-2012, 03:49 PM
I drive for pepsi and i have talked to a few owner op guys. They say that that put out a ton of money and they get under cut quite a bit. Not sure how true but its somethink about

You are correct. As a a owner op, you have full cost out of your pocket, not a companies. Also you have a min operating cost. If it cost you 1.10 a mile to run your truck then you have to make 1.10+ to put money in your pocket. You are also have huge companies out there that have 1000+ trucks and can run there trucks for less than a 1.00 a mile and make a profit off of it. Like said before, being a owner op is not a easy deal. Alot of guys fail and go bankrupt within there first year.