PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

Chunk94GT
09-16-2012, 01:43 PM
I have been looking at buying a diesel truck for awhile now. Mainly as a tow rig, and also the fact that I can get better fuel mileage out of a diesel than my full size ram. My work has a old maintence truck for sale dirt cheap. Its a 04 F350 with a 6.0PSD, auto, reg cab, basic options, dually, short frame with a huge work bed on it and ladder rack. My only concerns are its a 6.0 with 330xxx on it. It has brake controller already on it with tow package, new tires, and a new egr. Would it be worth it to pick up or just asking for a money pit. The head mechanic in our shop says it runs great, but idles a little rough. He also said that every 6.0 that he has worked on had a rough idle, so doesn't know if its a 6.0 thing or it has a under lying problem. I mean for the price I could buy it and flip it and make a good profit off of it, but don't know if I want to deal with it. Any advice would be great.

thecollector
09-18-2012, 08:24 AM
2wd utility body trucks are a soft resale item. A 330k mile anything is awaiting to become someone elses money pit- compund on the fact its a 6.0 and your asking for headaches.
The real questions is- how cheap is cheap? 1,000? 5,000?

cobraman302
09-18-2012, 09:06 AM
In my opinion any higher mileage diesel is going to be a potential money pit, they require a good amount of maintenance to keep them going strong. And when they do, they are rather pricey to replace parts on. It probably has a rough idle because of a bad or clogged injector/injectors. Could also be high pressure oil pump. ICP or an IPR.

Id be hesitant to pay anything over a $3500 price tag, and I am not sure I would go that high. 2wd, standard cab, work truck, automatic, with a tool box bed, with 330k+ miles....I'd buy a high mileage 7.3 first. JMO though.

Chunk94GT
09-18-2012, 04:59 PM
Well the price is 2500. I really want a 7.3, but they are really hard to find that are in decent shape, and price. Most or them have been modded and raged out, or jacked way up with massive price tags, or they are 2wd with low miles and extemely over priced. I decided not to buy it due to the 6.0 in it, a friend of mine had one before his 6.4 and said it was nothing but problems, injectors, egrs, within one week he said he had almost 5k in repairs on it over stupid parts failure. He said to stay away from it. So my hunt continues.

Katmandu
09-19-2012, 10:39 AM
For $2500 it's worth it for what you need it for.

I've owned many diesels cars/trucks over the years and I agree with the above posters. Diesels do require more maintenance and up keep especially to their fuel systems.

If you do maintain them properly, they'll go 4,5, 600k or more.

Also, beware that year F-250+ Series EATS ball joints like they're going out of style.