PDA

View Full Version : Miami County Deputy charged with OVI

Katmandu
09-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Talk about STUPID ! :eek:

http://tdn-net.com/Main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=438&ArticleID=125887&utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzEmail&utm_content=696833&utm_campaign=0

9/18/2012 11:47:00 PM
Deputy charged with OVI

By Will E Sanders
Ohio Community Media

A Miami County Sheriff's Deputy was arrested for allegedly driving while intoxicated by a Piqua police officer in the early morning hours of Sept. 9, after he was clocked driving at speeds as high as 85 mph and nearly causing a traffic crash.
Deputy Douglas D. Byers, 43, of Bradford, was cited for operating a vehicle while intoxicated, speeding and improper lanes of travel and is scheduled for his first court appearance in Miami County Municipal Court on Sept. 26.
Byers was placed on paid administrative leave by the sheriff's office later that morning and an active internal investigation was was immediately initiated, said sheriff's Chief Deputy Dave Duchak.
"We are extremely saddened and disappointed by the allegations against him," Duchak said. "He is, as are all deputies, accountable no differently than any other citizen. We are taking this matter extremely seriously and moving forward with the internal investigation as quickly as possible."
He added: "We are grateful that nobody was hurt."
A detailed police report of the OVI traffic stop stated a motorist behind the deputy initially reported the incident at 1:07 a.m. on Sept. 9 when Byers' gray 2003 Chevy Trailblazer was driving across the North Main Street bridge and "hit the median on the bridge, went airborne and then landed almost causing a traffic crash."
The eyewitness report also states Byers "never slowed down" and was "driving at a high rate of speed."
When Byers sped by an awaiting Piqua police officer, he was clocked at traveling 70 mph in a 35 mph zone. As Byers left the city on U.S. Route 36 near Spiker Road, his speed increased to 85 mph
and the officer noticed the vehicle went "left of center and again over the white line on the right side of the road," according to police reports.
After Byers was stopped near Bedrock Trans*mission, 5125 U.S. Route 36, the officer stated in his report that he "could immediately smell a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from the vehicle" and that Byers "had mumbled speech, glassy and red eyes."
Byers refused to take a field sobriety test or breathalyzer, stated he had between five to seven beers earlier in the day and "did not realize he was speeding," reports further disclose.
While at the police station Byers verbally berated the arresting officers with a barrage of vulgar names and told the officers they must be "proud" for arresting him, according to the police report.
The arresting officer also stated in his report that Byers refused to sign his citation and his recognizance bond and was later released to his girlfriend, but not before the officer advised Byers that he was under administrative license suspension and had his license seized.
Piqua Police Chief Bruce Jamison said he reviewed the case and said it was handled correctly by the responding officers.
"We work very closely with other law enforcement agencies and we have a good relationship with other agencies," Jamison said. "When you are having to deal with another police officer who you might be sharing a life and death incident with, in that type of capacity, it is very difficult for the officers. In reviewing the whole case I am very proud with how the officers handled it. They handled it the same way they would have handled any other citizen in that same situation."

Once Byers' internal investigation is completed a pre-disciplinary hearing will be held, according to the sheriff's office.

89notch
09-19-2012, 10:57 AM
People make mistakes. I just hate that the media focuses on a story like this only because of his line of work. Im sure he is embarrassed enough already and doesn't need this. Unless he has a history of DUI he should get the normal sentence and hopefully get back to work.

jktruckin06
09-19-2012, 11:27 AM
Let someone go back to work driving a motor vehicle after driving a motor vehicle intoxicated? That sounds great. He should lose his job. Being an officer you are held to a higher standard. Why let him enforce laws he breaks?

DSSKing68
09-19-2012, 11:41 AM
Let someone go back to work driving a motor vehicle after driving a motor vehicle intoxicated? That sounds great. He should lose his job. Being an officer you are held to a higher standard. Why let him enforce laws he breaks?

+1000 :bigthumb

89notch
09-19-2012, 12:11 PM

He obviously won't be able to drive for a year since he declined the BAC tests. I believe he should be disciplined but unless he has a history the man shouldn't lose his job.

chris91
09-19-2012, 12:23 PM
I'm sorry but driving while intoxicated isn't simply a "mistake". That is just absurd. Anyone that plans on drinking should plan on getting home a different way, ie cab, bus, friend, family, etc. Would you still consider it a mistake if he hit and killed someone you love? He should definitely lose his ability to drive a cruiser and should be sitting behind a desk.

jktruckin06
09-19-2012, 12:28 PM
As usual I am just biased since I drive. A pilot, captain or in this case a police officer can get a DUI in their personal vehicle and retain their job. A truck driver is blacklisted for anywhere from a year to forever depending on the company. I think more strict punishments should be given. Like permanent suspensions. Drunk drivers are just fools and usually repeat offenders.

Goober
09-19-2012, 01:31 PM
I'm sorry, but 70 in a 35 and an OVI? Dude deserves what he gets...

Chunk94GT
09-19-2012, 05:21 PM
As usual I am just biased since I drive. A pilot, captain or in this case a police officer can get a DUI in their personal vehicle and retain their job. A truck driver is blacklisted for anywhere from a year to forever depending on the company. I think more strict punishments should be given. Like permanent suspensions. Drunk drivers are just fools and usually repeat offenders.

You are correct. Also as a CDL holder we are put in a different class, so we are only aloud a .04 BAC instead of a .08. Thats in a personal and in a commercial truck. As a cop he should be held to a higher punishment since he is a public servant. Sorry but he knew the law better than a average person so he knew what he was doing, but just like every other cop he thought he was above the law. He should lose everything, just like a Class A driver would, or anyone else that is put to higher standards.

CNTLOSE
09-19-2012, 09:07 PM
He can get work privileges just like anyone else. He screwed up and will pay the price I am sure. Wonder what it would be like if the media did a story like this on every DUI driver. Name their employer and all the stupid stuff they did while intoxicated....Oh wait...that is not news.

CNTLOSE
09-19-2012, 09:10 PM
You are correct. Also as a CDL holder we are put in a different class, so we are only aloud a .04 BAC instead of a .08. Thats in a personal and in a commercial truck. As a cop he should be held to a higher punishment since he is a public servant. Sorry but he knew the law better than a average person so he knew what he was doing, but just like every other cop he thought he was above the law. He should lose everything, just like a Class A driver would, or anyone else that is put to higher standards.

WRONG...if you are in your personal truck that does not require a CDL you have a .08 limit just like everyone else. It can cause you to lose your CDL endorsement pending on driving history upon conviction, but your limit is still .08 in a personal vehicle.

jktruckin06
09-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Do you think the officer involved in the drug scandal around here should keep his job in some capacity?

I have alot of respect for a majority of police, this guy isn't one.

CNTLOSE
09-19-2012, 09:29 PM
Do you think the officer involved in the drug scandal around here should keep his job in some capacity?

I have alot of respect for a majority of police, this guy isn't one.

If he is guilty no way in hell...throw the book at him. But I have not heard of this story.

I did hear about the retired Chillicothe Officer that got only 2 years for having "relations" with a 15 year old. Personally I think he should have received much more.

jktruckin06
09-19-2012, 09:32 PM
Yeah, I'm sure you see alot more inside stuff than the media ever shows. I'm sure like messing up at any job it's about who is on your side

Katmandu
09-20-2012, 01:21 AM
Anyone that plans on drinking should plan on getting home a different way, ie cab, bus, friend, family, etc....Most everyone that drinks KNOWS when they hit and go over that line in your head (that little voice) that says...."Hmm.... I think I'm getting fukked up!". It's at this point where one makes a DECISION either to STOP or say FUKK IT and keep on drinking. I've been there more times than I care to admit publically myself.

A LEO knowingly puts himself in this compromising position obviously is well aware of the dangers and consequences of their actions. It's this man's JOB to bust drunk drivers.

Yes, we all make mistakes, but as other said above LEOs are held to a much higher standard in case like this.

What I really, really feel bad for is this man's family. They are the one's that will suffer for his poor choices.

Chunk94GT
09-20-2012, 01:53 AM
He can get work privileges just like anyone else. He screwed up and will pay the price I am sure. Wonder what it would be like if the media did a story like this on every DUI driver. Name their employer and all the stupid stuff they did while intoxicated....Oh wait...that is not news.

What work privileges should he get. I get a DUI lose my CDL and I'm learning how to say would you like fries with that. So because he made a mistake, and is a LAW ENFORCEMENT Officer, key word there is LAW ENFORCEMENT, he should be giving privileges. He knew the LAW and now broke it big time, so he should have to pay the price. Not get slapped on the hand and handed the keys to a cruiser, and a gun, to make public saftey decision. Obiviously he couldn't make a easy decision for himself, so why should he be aloud to make professional decisions for the public.

Also the average DUI doesn't make the news cause, the crackhead in OTR driving drunk didn't take a oath to protect and serve the public.

You are correct in a personal vehicle you can have a BAC .08 with a CDL I was incorrect.

denial
09-20-2012, 09:34 AM
Kelly, You know exactly why they stopped him lmao. Think about it! MLNK for life right? lol

CNTLOSE
09-20-2012, 06:04 PM
What work privileges should he get. I get a DUI lose my CDL and I'm learning how to say would you like fries with that. So because he made a mistake, and is a LAW ENFORCEMENT Officer, key word there is LAW ENFORCEMENT, he should be giving privileges. He knew the LAW and now broke it big time, so he should have to pay the price. Not get slapped on the hand and handed the keys to a cruiser, and a gun, to make public saftey decision. Obiviously he couldn't make a easy decision for himself, so why should he be aloud to make professional decisions for the public.

Also the average DUI doesn't make the news cause, the crackhead in OTR driving drunk didn't take a oath to protect and serve the public.

You are correct in a personal vehicle you can have a BAC .08 with a CDL I was incorrect.

Almost everyone in Ohio gets work privileges on their first OVI...has nothing to do with being a LEO. Even truck drivers w/ a CDL who get OVI's in their personal vehicles can get work privileges.

DSSKing68
09-21-2012, 06:20 AM
LEO's should be held to a higher standard. Period. They took a sworn oath. The average Joe working at Walmart did not.

I say happy unemployment.

mustang8998
09-22-2012, 10:05 AM
.... Even truck drivers w/ a CDL who get OVI's in their personal vehicles can get work privileges.

You might get privilege to drive to work, but you're not going to be driving a commercial vehicle. So, what is the point?

JET50213
09-22-2012, 10:27 AM
I would fully expect to lose my job if I was arrested for OVI. It is inexcuseable for police officers to do certain things. Cops are human, though, and make mistakes. I've worked with guys whose lives spiraled out of control...divorce, bancruptcy, lost their kids, etc. It can happen to anyone. However, once you lose it and do something really stupid, you're done being a police officer.

Just don't put cops in a box. Very few officers believe they are above the law. It gives us all a black eye when a cop does something criminal like this. Just remember, the majority of us ARE living to that higher standard! There are a few who can't cut it! Believe me, it's not easy!