PDA

View Full Version : Curious - Hey turbo guys...

redfirepearlgt
09-26-2012, 08:55 PM
Could someone esplana-to-uh-me-uh...............

I understand that there are boost controllers on the market forthe turbo's that allows the driver to crank the boost up or down at will from a minimum to a maximum range right inside the car. Seen them in action first hand. What I don't understand is this....Does the controller also regulate fuel, timing, spark, etc to accmmodate the commanded boost change? Being ignorant in this area I am simply curious. How can a person simply turn the boost controller up to say 13psi from a previous setting of 7psi without blowing the engine to kingdom come???? Seems to me without these other items being accounted for the car would lean right out. Thanks for taking a moment to enlighten this dimwit.

smytty
09-26-2012, 09:44 PM
Could someone esplana-to-uh-me-uh...............

I understand that there are boost controllers on the market forthe turbo's that allows the driver to crank the boost up or down at will from a minimum to a maximum range right inside the car. Seen them in action first hand. What I don't understand is this....Does the controller also regulate fuel, timing, spark, etc to accmmodate the commanded boost change? Being ignorant in this area I am simply curious. How can a person simply turn the boost controller up to say 13psi from a previous setting of 7psi without blowing the engine to kingdom come???? Seems to me without these other items being accounted for the car would lean right out. Thanks for taking a moment to enlighten this dimwit.Ill take a shot from my talon days...
Most Bcs have setting like low boost and high boost, or thats what most people do. They have a street boost for cruising and maybe a race boost setting... This is were multi tunes come in, just turning up the boost will hurt the motor. Im pretty sure youll need to upload your race tune to run high boost.. In some cases i know people will run High boost if say the have a tank of race fuel in the car.. Pretty sure though most switch tunes...

Jeff88coupe
09-26-2012, 09:56 PM
You have to have the car tuned for the highest boost your going to run on say 93 pump gas on the street. Then a seperate tune for when your at the track and have race gas in the tank and turn the boost up even higher.

redfirepearlgt
09-26-2012, 10:09 PM
Thanks guys. Was just curious how this worked. I remember seeing twisted twins on the dyno at Cincy speed in it last few days in the area. I remember a digital control box in the dash that the guys tuning it used to crank the boost up while the final tuning was being completed and dyno results were being recorded. Was just curious how that all worked. Thanks Jeff, and Smitty.

Carl
09-26-2012, 10:36 PM
There is also those that have an ECU with a built in MAP sensor(Megasquirt for example) that can adjust the fuel load dependent on the pressure seen.

mustangjon
09-26-2012, 10:44 PM
My lincoln fuel maps were based off map as said. Part of reason i liked the megasquirt

redfirepearlgt
09-27-2012, 08:24 AM
Thanks again. Just got quiet at work last night (doesn't happen often) and I found myself pondering the phrase "I turned the boost on the turbo up..." and it got me to wondering how it all worked.

redfirepearlgt
09-28-2012, 04:29 PM
Just got a little more up to speed on this today. Thanks again for answering the questions. Nothing like an ounce of knowledge...I'm dangerous now. LOL!

Goober
09-28-2012, 05:32 PM
On 3 makes a twin kit for the new 5.0... going bottom 11's on an automatic (stock converter too, only getting 2.06 60' times).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGwhxj7s_7I

http://forums.corral.net/forums/s-197-mustang-gt-2011/1379646-3s-2011-twin-turbo-first-production-coyote-system-install-details.html

Adam@S&MMotorsports
09-29-2012, 10:24 AM
Speed density systems will see different tables with different levels of boost. Like my car leaves on low boost and brings in higher levels down track and the tune is always correct...

redfirepearlgt
09-29-2012, 08:02 PM
Thanks again guys.

NXcoupe
09-30-2012, 08:51 PM
If you have a 94 up car, it will have a borderline knock table, with load vs rpm. You just tune the spark for the minimum boost(over 100% load) and the maximum boost, it will see, say 175% load. From then on, as long as the maf curve is corrected, the computer will do all the work according to the airflow it sees. As Adam touched on, the digital systems are a ton better because they have huge tables based on the map and load, etc. Multiple tunes also covers the differences in boost.

redfirepearlgt
09-30-2012, 11:09 PM
If you have a 94 up car, it will have a borderline knock table, with load vs rpm. You just tune the spark for the minimum boost(over 100% load) and the maximum boost, it will see, say 175% load. From then on, as long as the maf curve is corrected, the computer will do all the work according to the airflow it sees. As Adam touched on, the digital systems are a ton better because they have huge tables based on the map and load, etc. Multiple tunes also covers the differences in boost.

thanks mike!:bigthumb