PDA

View Full Version : 200 mph

Pitbull1052
10-09-2012, 11:59 AM
So i don't know why i've been kicking around the idea of wanting to go 200 in a street car but just curious if there's anyone on here that has one that'll do it and if not what it'll take to get a Fox body there........ I know my current combo of a built 347, t56, and 4:10's will do 160+ (I don't know beyond that the speeds only goes to 165)

rtvickers
10-09-2012, 12:18 PM
Take a '13 gt500 for a test drive. They go 200mph. Does your car have any safety features in the computer for top speed? If not if you have a smart phone there's a gps app that will measure your speed.

redfirepearlgt
10-09-2012, 12:24 PM
Planning on a trip to Wilmington?? Garmin GPS units will also provide MPH. You can borrow mine if you need it and don't have a smart phone.

Kevin1989
10-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Yea brad I've done 155 according to a GPS in my car. Lol it's not fun

lxenvy
10-09-2012, 12:56 PM
Ive been 213 (on a bike) Could not imagine that in a car.

Gene
10-09-2012, 01:53 PM
Spend some time over at landracing.com (http://landracing.com/).

The nice thing with the Ohio Mile just north of here up at Wilmington, there is actually a venue nearby where you can try this legally. ECTA has some pretty strict safety rules to go that fast, however.

Pitbull1052
10-09-2012, 02:00 PM
I kind of meant more along the lines of how much hp what gear etc...... Gene is that the one that's a standing mile on a tarmac?

Kev in my car 165 feels like 85 except you fly past things a little quicker but it did it felt really good at 165 and had more left it......

I think my GTech will tell me speed above 165 I don't keep it hooked up all the time. I just don't think my car has enough pony's to get to 200.

Mista Bone
10-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Depending on aero you'll need 600-700 hp and a long final drive depending on tire size.

2.73 would be a start.

SN95N/A
10-09-2012, 03:58 PM
I think my 03 would come close it does 115/120 in 3rd maybe a little quicker,But i dont think i want to go that fast lol.

Pitbull1052
10-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Depending on aero you'll need 600-700 hp and a long final drive depending on tire size.

2.73 would be a start.

well it's 1989 Mustang with a Stalker font end, and a 3" cowl hood....... hmmmmm i guess i need to head up to wilmington next time they do the standing mile and see what mine does and go from there.......

redfirepearlgt
10-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Ive been 213 (on a bike) Could not imagine that in a car.

Dag....I couldn't imagine that straddling a bike!!!!! WOW!

Kevin1989
10-09-2012, 07:18 PM
I kind of meant more along the lines of how much hp what gear etc...... Gene is that the one that's a standing mile on a tarmac?

Kev in my car 165 feels like 85 except you fly past things a little quicker but it did it felt really good at 165 and had more left it......

I think my GTech will tell me speed above 165 I don't keep it hooked up all the time. I just don't think my car has enough pony's to get to 200.

Yea I was in 5th and still climbing. My front end is starting to get loose though. I'm sure it would feel better if I fixed all that. I got a 308 gear you can try it will get you close!

lxenvy
10-09-2012, 09:24 PM
well it's 1989 Mustang with a Stalker font end, and a 3" cowl hood....... hmmmmm i guess i need to head up to wilmington next time they do the standing mile and see what mine does and go from there.......

Sounds fun. Let us know when u go!

Dag....I couldn't imagine that straddling a bike!!!!! WOW!

Yea pretty insane. Only did it once. Never had the "Feeling" to do it again. I was in the fast lane and I passed 2 or 3 cars that were in the slow lane. Couldnt even tell what color they were. Bike had more in it but I didnt.

fastone
10-09-2012, 10:13 PM
Years ago, I got on 275 in Wilder headed towards the Florence. The state trooper clocked me prior to leaving the enterance ramp at 96mph. I stayed in it from when I got on till the top of the hill at Taylor Mill. I'm sure it was well over 150. After topping the hill I put the car in neutral and it took the poor trooper till half way up the hill to the Turkeyfoot exit. Probably about 3 miles of me in neutral for him to catch me. And to top it off, I thought I was headed to jail, but since I had a ticket earlier that evening, he let me off!!!

302coupe
10-12-2012, 02:16 AM
i topped my bike out at 165 if it had more i would have deff taken all it would have givin me.

firestang70
10-12-2012, 07:28 AM
I once did 26mph on my moped, that was wicked scary...

06V6Andrew
10-12-2012, 09:20 AM
To do the Wilmington flying mile you have to sign up in advance and adhere to the mile long list of safety regulations. It would be killer to see a street car up there.

KB1
10-12-2012, 10:36 AM
The fastest I have personally driven was 171mph in my 944 turbo a friend of mines Dad had a radar gun we used to try out once in a while!, felt like 200mph!!!

blown86lx
10-12-2012, 07:21 PM
I did 191 MPH on my old bike according to the speedo. I figure it was off by a bit so I just call it 180. Still insane I am like most never had the urge to do it agian. I thought I was in 5th gear racing my buddy and hit the stutter box and went to shift and didnt have any more gears. I looked down and saw 191 and instanly let off the throttle and the bike started to raise up a bit and got loose had to get back in it a little and back it down. It did scare the shit out of me.

RacerX
10-13-2012, 12:30 AM
I'm working on a Landspeed deal. 200 takes a lot. Weight not so important. Aero VERY important, take LOTS of HP for a Fox to do it. Engine goes hand in hand with aero. Remember all that crap is exponental, it takes TONS to go just a little faster at those big speeds.

Yes they do require proper roll cages, belts and speed rated tires you are trying to achive. I think thats just smart. snardard up to date safty gear.

Heres a few things I have learned. First I have a former winston cup (nextel) car, '96 T-Bird. I have a friend Hall of Fame driver Dave Marcis to lend some advise, he holds the record now at over 217mph.

You have to have a aero clean car, my car has been in a wind tunnell for instance, BUT it also has a large frontal area so that's a neg. For a former cup speedway car to do it, with ALL else being right you need about 800hp to 900hp. BTW, the grears are more like a 3.41 and of corse depends on many factors. One good reason to have a quick change (I do). Skinny tires and moons may help. Also a cross wind will ruin you. Also doesn't hurt to have Dave Marcis driving.

I think my car will do it but I need a big motor hp, still looking for something or someone that can help with that. Dave used a old SB2.

BTW, streamling, power adder and CID put you in a faster class. I was toying with trying a small cube windsor or...........

I have been over 200 in a stock car many times and if ther car is right my Mom could drive it, if not god himself may need some help.....

Streets are NO place for anything real fast, just to bumpy and no grip, I had my MB E55 AMG at about 140 ish just to see if the USA ones elec. cut off at 156 and hauled it down, just to fast on a public street.

Wilmington is the place. And you can run a street car, no problem, and it's smooth as silk. Just know if you go over 150 they will want you to have a cage next time.

DR

Mista Bone
10-13-2012, 05:41 AM
C&D SB2 Vette, wrong gearing did quite well, but with proper gearing it would have done a lot better. Damn story lead times and the great JL for answering my "newb" questions.

For the record I've driven my old Honda to 130+ in the states and 150+ in Canada on the bottle. One good butt pucker moment and you will not do that again. Suspension spring rates are a HUGE factor. A small bump at 70 mph can bottom out the suspenion at 150 mph and then you pray it stays straight.

If it doesn't, you still keep praying because your next thought might be at the Gates of Heaven.

Don't do it on the streets!

Mbubby61
10-13-2012, 08:48 AM
Maybe this could be the big fund raiser , Preston cup I think it was called !! be fun to see a bunch of us make a run...just a thought,

04 Venom
10-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Suspension spring rates are a HUGE factor. A small bump at 70 mph can bottom out the suspenion at 150 mph and then you pray it stays straight.

If it doesn't, you still keep praying because your next thought might be at the Gates of Heaven.

Don't do it on the streets!

Exactly; not on the streets.