PDA

View Full Version : Looks like my parents got F##KED BY FORD!!!

Goober
11-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Long story short, they have a 6.0 Powerstroke, something went boom, was towed to Beau Townsend, they were told the intercooler blew and it wasn't covered under warranty. Truck was towed to their mechanic, new intercooler was bought, mechanic discovered that the turbo compressor wheel exploded, wiping out the intercooler. Was towed BACK to Beau, the turbo was replaced, and Townsend basically told them to pound salt on the intercooler. Parents called Ford, got the run around (Townsend gave them the wrong papers, phone numbers and addresses), finally got all the paperwork to the right people and was told "you're two days too late on the paperwork". Now they're stuck paying $1300 for the intercooler and towing because a warranty part wiped it out and the Ford tech didn't discover the turbo being bad the first time it was there.

I hope nobody from Beau Townsend Ford is on here, for your own good....

331lx
11-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Typical 6.0 powerstroke junk, ford messed up when they got rid of the trusty 7.3, sucks to hear this though..

cobraman302
11-11-2012, 01:19 PM
Typical 6.0 powerstroke junk, ford messed up when they got rid of the trusty 7.3, sucks to hear this though..

What's that got to do with the price of mayo is Russia??

I would fight that til the end pal. There is no way I would let that stand, even if it were for principal. There should be enough dated documentation/service reports/receipts to show that problem was not fixed prepoerly, but was reported in time. Pretty crappy for a Ford dealer to do that to their paying customers. :AR15:

Goober
11-11-2012, 02:52 PM
I believe that this instance stems from the tech @ Beau Townsend not wanting to do his job. There is no way that a stock intercooler, with stock turbo and boost pressures, would go out on it's own.

331lx
11-11-2012, 03:20 PM
What's that got to do with the price of mayo is Russia??

I would fight that til the end pal. There is no way I would let that stand, even if it were for principal. There should be enough dated documentation/service reports/receipts to show that problem was not fixed prepoerly, but was reported in time. Pretty crappy for a Ford dealer to do that to their paying customers. :AR15:

Nothing really I was just stating that I wasnt suprised about the failure, and yea ur right I would fight the dealer to..

Black Horse
11-11-2012, 06:35 PM
How old is the truck and what is the mileage?

coleary1992
11-11-2012, 07:27 PM
I'd get it all fixed, then send them the bill, under warranty right? Shows how shady dealerships are these days, they're not hurting for money so why not fix it right.

Goober
11-11-2012, 08:41 PM
How old is the truck and what is the mileage?
I know that it's an 05-07, bought extended warranty, unsure of mileage but I know it's low because they only drive it on the weekends and to pull the horse trailer.

I'd get it all fixed, then send them the bill, under warranty right? Shows how shady dealerships are these days, they're not hurting for money so why not fix it right.

They have, here is the WHOLE story to make it clearer...

Townsend would not cover the intercooler because "A Ford authorized service center didn't remove the intercooler to discover the turbo compressor wheel had exploded, wiping out the intercooler with it". The IC was bought at Townsend, installed at Townsend (but bought by the independent mechanic), and Townsend said it was bad when it initially went in for the problem. Townsend replaced the turbo after the independent mechanic found out that the IC was damaged because the turbo exploded. The initial Ford "tech" (and I am using that term VERY loosely) must have seen the IC was damaged and left it at that, even though the 6.0 has a history of shitcanning turbos.

On top of BT giving them the finger and telling them to "hash it out with Ford yourself", they THEN proceeded to give my folks all the wrong paperwork and contact information for Ford's warranty division (my folks are in their late 50's/early 60's and lack internet skill and access in order to find the correct information), so by the time they played phone tag with Ford trying to get the correct paperwork and getting it to the correct places (while they worked their regular jobs), Ford Corporate informed them that the paperwork was received 2 days after the warranty expired, and they were shit out of luck.

They're currently on the hunt for a low mileage Cummins or Duramax. Ford has left them high and dry on this issue and they are swearing off the blue oval for good. And I don't blame them.

Rick93coupe
11-11-2012, 08:44 PM
I'd hang on to the paperwork they were given and use that as evidence and pursue it. That is bullshit.

Dirtyd0g
11-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Call or write ford main office they will take care of it I have seen this many times the problem is the dealer not Ford.

Goober
11-11-2012, 10:10 PM
Call or write ford main office they will take care of it I have seen this many times the problem is the dealer not Ford.

... Ford Corporate informed them that the paperwork was received 2 days after the warranty expired, and they were shit out of luck...

They've been fighting this since June, and stopping because they're tired of arguing with them. Buy a new $60k truck, with extended warranty and get "f'd up the a". The only thing left is to get the BBB involved, but that will probably end up causing more hair pulling with zero results

2007ShelbyCobra
11-11-2012, 11:45 PM
id be pissed too, good luck with that. I hate it when I hear about companies trying to screw over customers after they spend so much

2Kblacksleeper
11-12-2012, 01:38 AM
The bbb is a crock of shit. They don't control anything. Hell they sometimes try to black mail businesses to join them.

coleary1992
11-12-2012, 09:30 AM
I had great luck with my cummins, 400,000 miles and still running strong, then again it was a mechanical 12 valve. I still stand bwhind cummins, just don't get an automatic

redfirepearlgt
11-12-2012, 11:11 AM
Sorry to hear this. This is why I always say document, document, document, when dealing with a distributor, or manufacturer issue.

I could clutter the thread with issue after issue similar to this I have dealt with personally. Once screwed for $6700 in a similar situation. In the end never take a service providers word for it. Get it in writing. Document, document, document. It may even be wise to invest in a personal digital recording device. Make sure you let the person involved in the conversation know of it. This is like flashing a pistol in a gun fight. Puts them on their best behavior. I now have one and will use it each time I deal with issues lke this.

04 Venom
11-12-2012, 11:27 AM
The bbb is a crock of shit. They don't control anything. Hell they sometimes try to black mail businesses to join them.

What he said.

Black Horse
11-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Year and mileage?????

redfirepearlgt
11-12-2012, 02:43 PM

Agreed. Nothing more than a "feel good" sticker in a window for consumers to see. Just another bureaucracy made to skim money from small business IMO and generate some sense of buyer confidence.

Goober
11-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Year and mileage?????

I do not know at this time, nor do I see where it makes a hill of beans since it was under warranty.

Black Horse
11-13-2012, 09:42 AM
I do not know at this time, nor do I see where it makes a hill of beans since it was under warranty.

Someone MAY be trying to help you.....if you don't care then neither do I.

Goober
11-13-2012, 11:47 AM
I am sorry, I didn't realize that you were trying to help. I will find out year and what the approximate mileage when the turbo went and PM you, along with the names of the owners.

Goober
11-13-2012, 12:08 PM
For everyone's info, the truck is a 2005 with under 65k miles, and it happened on the Ford extended warranty.

Black Horse
11-14-2012, 09:08 AM
Based on the OASIS report from the vehicle:

The warranty was good until July 2012
The Turbo was replaced under warranty ($100 deductable) in June of 2012

There is no mention of any intercooler work. Was this done by a mechanic other than a Ford Dealer? If so, it may not be covered by the warranty. (You would have to read the extended warranty coverage contract to see what is covered in this manner).
If the intercooler WAS replaced by Townsend, I would think you would have some leverage in getting the claim settled if they failed to report the issue on the OASIS report.

Let me know and I might be able to recommend some next steps.

Black Horse
11-14-2012, 09:22 AM
I didn't read your description well enough........

If the failed Turbo took out the intercooler, I would think Townsend/Ford would be responsible for the repalcement of both under warranty.

1) Attempt to resolve it through Townsend, get the names of the Service Manager, etc. you talk to. Take notes and document everything.
2) If Townsend is not able or willing to help ask them to provide you with the contact information to the Consumer Hotline at Ford.

What throws a bit of a red flag here is why this is now being dealt with 5 months after the repair was made.

Goober
11-14-2012, 09:46 AM
They've been fighting it this whole time, I just found out about all of this Saturday. They called the consumer hotline and was told that the paperwork for the intercooler didn't make it to the warranty department at Ford corporate in time, due to the dealer not giving them the correct information.

I also found out that the BT service manager knows the mechanic that discovered the turbo explosion and my folks were told by the service manager "The inter cooler will be covered and you'll be reimbursed for it". Obviously he reneged on that statement.

BTW, intercooler was purchased by the independant mechanic from Townsend, but it was installed by Townsend.

Black Horse
11-14-2012, 11:49 AM
Have your parents call the consumer hot line once again, ask them for copies of all the information including the OASIS reports, warranty claims, etc. Tell them they plan to take it to arbitration.

Small claims court is also an alternative if Ford does not come through for you.

Goober
11-14-2012, 12:13 PM
Knowing them, they have most of that. Probably not the OASIS report though, idk if Ford hands those out when warranty work is done. Thanks for your help.

Black Horse
11-14-2012, 05:27 PM
Ford did not give them the OASIS report I am sure (it is an internal tracking system). By asking for all of this information they are setting the tone for their next potential steps (possible litigation).

Goober
11-14-2012, 06:34 PM
I figured. She's going to call to different dealerships and see if she can get one "for her personal records, to show what was replaced on warranty".

Black Horse
11-14-2012, 10:30 PM
I would go right to Townsend and the hot line and ask for the info. If they refuse to cooperate you may have some stronger ground to stand.

Goober
11-15-2012, 11:43 PM
Townsend gave her the run around on the phone. I went to my local Ford service department and got one, no questions asked.

fastone
11-23-2012, 12:36 AM
Black Horse, does the OASIS show maintenance done to the truck also? Nothing towards your parents Goober, but Ford is denying all kinds of warr. work due to improper or poor record keeping on oil changes and such. Also, the 6.0 is not made to sit. The turbos junking is normally from turning truck off hot after towing or not taking the truck to wide open throttle every once and a while. I hope Goober they get it worked out.

Goober
11-23-2012, 03:06 AM
No offense taken. My step father is an owner-operator and is very religious about letting diesels cool down before shutting down and maintaining oil changes. Truth be known, he probably has the oil analysis reports tucked away somewhere. He even gets them done on his lawnmower (which is also a diesel LOL).

**NINJA EDIT** I also do not see where it is my folks fault that the 6.0 "isn't designed to sit". Sounds like poor engineering and Ford trying to hedge their losses on whatever 6.0's are still on warranty.

thecollector
11-23-2012, 10:45 AM
I was a tech at a local ford dealership up until 2005. I have seen the carmage at the international engine plant in indy where there were hundreds of those motors laying out in the parking lot for scrap. If they have only spent 1,400 in unexpected repairs that truck has not even started screwing them..... YET. Put that thing over the curb and buy something else asap. Count your blessings this is all you've lost, thousands of other folks have not been nearly as fortunate.

Goober
11-23-2012, 02:55 PM
I still fail to see where they should shell out money when a warranty covered part took out the intercooler.

cobraman302
12-05-2012, 06:12 PM
Fastone is dead on with that statement. I had a 6.0 that had the veins sticking on the turbo because an 80 year old guy used the truck to tow his horse trailer (never laid into the throttle because of this), turbo neded taken apart and cleaned. It's not your parents fault that the 6.0's are so finiky.

Blwn Pony
01-01-2013, 04:54 PM
I know it sucks but be glad thats all they are out Ford dealers in this area suck. had a F250 with the 6.o EGR went out two weeks after warranty was up. Had to pay Kings Ford to rebuild the motor $3500 two weeks later it broke again. Kings wouldnt do nothing for us so we took it to Beechmont Ford paid them another 3200 to do it again.
not even 6 months later it broke for good. something ended up in the oil pump and it was over. we had 3 6.0 two was garbage the one we still have has 45000 on it and its a 04 so it dont get used much but no issues with it ever. unlike the other 2 i had about 20k (over a few year span) in my 6.0 when it died for good we bought 3 2011 trucks all ford, its hard to over look the new 6.7 they are great to tow with

timdsellers
01-10-2013, 07:59 PM
I second everyone that said to not let this go. I am not saying its the case here but I have seen dealers and mechanics really try to screw over my mother in law because of her age and probably because she is a women. A Honda dealer is always teller her she needs things that I know she doesn't need, like wanting to swap out perfectly good brake flood for no reason whatsoever! It might take a few calls but I'm sure they will be reimbursed given the description here of what happened.

mustangjon
01-11-2013, 08:47 AM
. A Honda dealer is always teller her she needs things that I know she doesn't need, like wanting to swap out perfectly good brake flood for no reason whatsoever!

Actually every manufacture out there recommends brake fluid changed every 2 years or 30000, or there abouts some are sooner. Brake fluid is hydroscopic (absorbs water) which over time lowers boiling point also what does water do to metal lines? rust them... so just because it seems unnecessary doesnt mean its not going to help prevent issues down the road. There is tons of maint. people ignore or dont believe in, and thats there perogative, but dont cry when your brake lines rust out, or your trans gives out at 150k ect because you didnt replace the fluid. Its prevenative just like doing an oil change.. everyone believes in changing that out... its not necessary but will dramatically shorten engine life without it :D

jktruckin06
01-11-2013, 09:25 AM
It's hard to believe people still buy these trucks. Like "oh it's got low miles"...

SN95N/A
01-11-2013, 09:45 AM
I like the 6.0 I got one right now that I'm playing with.

jktruckin06
01-11-2013, 11:30 AM
I know it's not every truck out there with issues, but I'm not much of a risk taker.