PDA

View Full Version : Anybody sent a car to scrap?

kennytent
11-28-2012, 09:19 PM
I have a '89 Lincoln Town Car 6 door Limo I was going to send to scrap. Any companies here in Cincinnati, that you guys can recommend you've had good luck with?

I do have the title, in case it matters. Car has no engine or transmission.

Let me know, would like to get the car gone this week or early next.

Thanks,
Ken

90fastgt
11-28-2012, 09:35 PM
I have always went to miamitown autoparts an scrapyard or the scrapyard here in harrison they have always been easy ro work with an stuff

jktruckin06
11-28-2012, 09:37 PM
i would just find the closest scrap yard to ya. fuel cost and/or tow bill will quickly eat into your scrap money.

some want the title in your name for their records, when i just scrapped my 87 at roundbottom recycling a couple weeks ago they were bitching cause it wasn't an open title, but still took it.

pick one and see exactly what they want when you bring it in.

ibstrokin
11-28-2012, 09:51 PM
There is a metal shredder in West Carrollton, and Franklin Iron & Metal in Downtown Dayton. You may want to see if you can donate it to Goodwill and take a tax deduction. I'm not sure what their rules are about cars without engines.

Gene
11-28-2012, 10:29 PM
I've taken cars to Newport Recycling before. They want the title, but other than that it's a pretty easy process. It's kind of sad watching a car get picked up and thrown into the shredder though.

kennytent
11-28-2012, 11:29 PM
Ok, cool. Good info.
I've never had much luck with the donation thing. Have never really been able to apply the deduction and make any difference on the taxes. Brian.

I called Miamitown, I'll look up roundbottom and the one in Harrison.

The car is in the blue-ash area, and not sure it would be worth hauling it to Newport, but I'll check into it.

Yeah, I hate to send a car to scrap, but would rather just get it gone, before I want to do something dumb, like keep it.:dummy:

Got too many junkers as it is.

jktruckin06
11-28-2012, 11:48 PM
is it not worth saving? post up some pics if you have any, someone may want to save it.

there is a place on the corner of crescentville and cin/day in west chester called auto recyclers...

kennytent
11-29-2012, 01:28 AM
This is probably my only pic I have of it.

The body and the interior are in pretty good shape. The car has been garaged for at least the past 8 years. I wanted the engine out of it (long story), and the tranny was bad, so I recently had it pulled, heck I have a 5.0 and an aod, out of my notch, to go back in it, just don't have the time or interest to do it.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa262/kennytent/limo.jpg

Xowner
11-29-2012, 01:39 AM
This is probably my only pic I have of it.

The body and the interior are in pretty good shape. The car has been garaged for at least the past 8 years. I wanted the engine out of it (long story), and the tranny was bad, so I recently had it pulled, heck I have a 5.0 and an aod, out of my notch, to go back in it, just don't have the time or interest to do it.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa262/kennytent/limo.jpg

Dang shame i dont have no room to store it. Would make an excellent Enduro race car!

jktruckin06
11-29-2012, 06:42 AM
that thing is awesome. i`d think you would be able to pull more than scrap if it is decent.

SN95N/A
11-29-2012, 07:02 AM
Hows the body on it?

akagreg3
11-29-2012, 10:13 AM
your best bets gonna be miamitown salvage yard if your gonna scrap it, iv scrapped more then a few cars -part out what you can and sell the body to miamitown they give the best money in my area anyway.

kennytent
11-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Body is solid, all glass is good, interior is dirty, but fairly decent. At one point it had a carb on it, but FI harness is still in there, and I think I still have the computer too.

Black Horse
11-29-2012, 06:32 PM
Dang shame i dont have no room to store it. Would make an excellent Enduro race car!

You going to carry your other drivers with you?

Xowner
11-29-2012, 07:52 PM
You going to carry your other drivers with you?

Yes, Legal with a seat belt and helmet. Allowed to have as many as you have seat belts.

http://youtu.be/G-hrDzOpAZA

Stangman
11-29-2012, 08:06 PM
Part of me really wants an old limo or hearse... I dig that thing! Stuff a good running drivetrain in it!

Rick93coupe
11-29-2012, 08:13 PM
Part of me really wants an old limo or hearse... I dig that thing! Stuff a good running drivetrain in it!

Price sounds right, take it home!

cstreu1026
11-29-2012, 08:29 PM
I would so rock an old Caddy hearse. Flat black, slammed with some shiny wheels and a big block turbo caddy engine under the hood.

kennytent
11-30-2012, 09:39 AM
It's a shame to scrape it, but got to go, got to go....

Looks like I'll be sending it to Algeir or Miamitown early next week.

jktruckin06
11-30-2012, 10:43 AM
what do you think it would pull in scrap. what would you take to have someone come get it from you? you got my wheels turning! tires ok and atleast hold air to move it? hit me up if ya want 513-390-3614

mustangjon
11-30-2012, 12:53 PM
mustang hauler ftw!

bestracing
12-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Make sure you ask about lead wheel weights and the gas tank. Some places are picky when it comes to those two items.

I've taken cars to Newport Recycling before. They want the title, but other than that it's a pretty easy process. It's kind of sad watching a car get picked up and thrown into the shredder though.

I just got rid of a car there about a month ago and I had the title with me but they never asked to see it since I had told them that I had the title junked. I've been there a few times over the past few years so I'm already in their system so that may have something to do with that.