PDA

View Full Version : Advice wanted for purchasing a Ford Truck.

cobraman302
12-02-2012, 06:43 PM
I am looking for some help in making a decision between a few different vehicles. Normally I just get a feel for what I like and find something in my budget and hope for the best. I guess my older age is catching up with me, and I really like to spend my money wisely more now than I have in the past. I am looking to purchase a 4WD crew cab Ford pickup truck by late spring, maybe sooner if a deal comes around.

Here is my scenario. I am looking to spend no more than $25k, and thats top of the range. Id prefer to be closer to the $20k tag. I will only get a 4WD crew cab full size Ford truck. However, I am having a tough time deciding on a gas F150, or a Diesel F250/F350. I know, big difference between these..which is where my dilemna lies.

The F150 would have to be an FX4 or Lariat and would like to be less than 75k miles at the most, and really looking at 06-08's. Price tag would be $22-$25k give or take a couple due to options and miles.

The F250/F350 is where I am really having trouble. I have owned a 95 F350 powerstroke, '00 Powerstroke, and the infamous 6.0 powerstroke in an '04. Both the 7.3's were 250k+ miles, the 6.0 was only pushing around 100k miles when I got rid of it. I never had a lick of problem out of the 6.0 with a box and exhaust on it. The 7.3's seemed to be a PITA in the winter time when it came to starting them. The 6.0 was never an issue, but I know others have had their problems with them. IF I got a 6.0, I would really want to get one with an EGR delete and ARP headstuds on it. IF I got a 7.3 I would reallly want to get a manual transmission to avoid the troublesome autos behind the 7.3's.

For the record, I had considered looking at an 08+ 6.4 powerstroke, but the MPG's are just rediculously low on those, especially stock with stock dune and DPF. Not insterested in a 6.4, unless someone has something to teach me there.

What are your honest opinions on the best/toughest/most economical full sized truck out there without spending $35k for an ecoboost F150....??

I don't plan to tow a lot, and the price of diesel fuel really has me leaning towards an 06-08 F150. The F150 will probably average 15mpg, and a 6.0 would probably average a couple better than that. I am really wanting a truck that will last a long time, and that I will be happy with keeping for years and years. low mileage 7.3's are in the $20k range, a 06-07 King ranch 6.0 powerstroke can be had for $20kish with under 100k on her....

What would you do, and why? I really appreciate any feedback, opinions, and honest facts based on prior experience.

Just for visual comparison, here's a picture I have in my head of what I would like to get. Minor differences between the 7.3 and 6.0.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc276/lightningrich/07F250.jpg
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc276/lightningrich/02F250.jpg
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc276/lightningrich/07F150.jpg

Dirtyd0g
12-02-2012, 06:56 PM
I wouldn't sweat the auto on 7.3's Through the years the problems with them have been fixed and if the transmission is updated properly they are very good units. The pre01 had torque converter problems more than anything. None of the factory transmission coolers were really good enough either.
The biggest problem is when you get young kids who don't work the trucks just abuse them to make them blow black smoke.
Alan

dsmawd350
12-02-2012, 06:57 PM
diesels are great if you plan to do alot of towing with it. besides that everything about owning one is more costly. also with a 6.0 id constantly be wondering if when something was gonna go and i had a 5k dollar repair bill.

if it were me and the towing wasnt an issue you could probably get a newer, lower mileage, better optioned, quieter better riding truck by getting a gas truck and be more affordable to own and maintain.

Whyucryn
12-02-2012, 07:03 PM
The new Ford gas motors are junk. I have a buddy with an 05 f150 with the 5.4 and it runs like shit and makes all kinds of racket and get horrible gas mileage. If i went with a gas truck, i'd get a chevy/gmc with the 6 litre. If i were to get a diesel it would have to be a 7.3 or a Cummins. If i got a Cummins it would have to be with a manual transmission.

The perfect truck would be a newer Cummins with a the Allison automatic transmission but... That's not an option, lol. If you don't mind a manual transmission though, I'd go with a Cummins forsure

Whyucryn
12-02-2012, 07:05 PM
I really really like the duramaxs trucks too. Then only problems with those are the injectors. If i got one it would have to already have had the injectors changed. If not, it's like 3000+ to replace them.

cobraman302
12-02-2012, 07:16 PM
I wouldn't sweat the auto on 7.3's Through the years the problems with them have been fixed and if the transmission is updated properly they are very good units. The pre01 had torque converter problems more than anything. None of the factory transmission coolers were really good enough either.
The biggest problem is when you get young kids who don't work the trucks just abuse them to make them blow black smoke.
Alan

I guess I just think of the torqushifts as being a tougher and better transmissions without modifications. With a convertor, and a trans cooler I am sure the 7.3 trans could hold up fine. It's not like I would have a 200hp box on it and/or towing a lot of weight.

diesels are great if you plan to do alot of towing with it. besides that everything about owning one is more costly. also with a 6.0 id constantly be wondering if when something was gonna go and i had a 5k dollar repair bill.

if it were me and the towing wasnt an issue you could probably get a newer, lower mileage, better optioned, quieter better riding truck by getting a gas truck and be more affordable to own and maintain.

Agree with you there. I guess withdiesels you have to pay to play...not sure if I want to pay for repairs on a truck I don't HAVE to have. I am leaning towards what what you are saying.

The new Ford gas motors are junk. I have a buddy with an 05 f150 with the 5.4 and it runs like shit and makes all kinds of racket and get horrible gas mileage. If i went with a gas truck, i'd get a chevy/gmc with the 6 litre. If i were to get a diesel it would have to be a 7.3 or a Cummins. If i got a Cummins it would have to be with a manual transmission.

The perfect truck would be a newer Cummins with a the Allison automatic transmission but... That's not an option, lol. If you don't mind a manual transmission though, I'd go with a Cummins forsure

No way you are getting me in a Dodge truck lol. I like function over design.....but damn are those Dodges ugly inside!!! Its like they are stuck in the 80's....I can't get over it. I don't have a dang thing against the Cummin's, but I won't own anything other than a Ford truck. Call me stubborn, but I have tried considering it and I just can't. And the '01 5.4 you are talking about is a little different animal that the newer 5.4's. And if you want anything better than 12 MPG, don't get a 6.0 Chevy lol.

Thanks for the opinions and ideas.

dsmawd350
12-02-2012, 07:16 PM

same here dad owned a 06 f150 lariot. was a super nice truck but got about 14.5 mpg and 5.4 made all sorts of topend noise.

i had an 05 gmc 2500HD with the 6.0 before my current duramax and i loved it best gas truck IMO. only sold it cause a good deal fell in my lap on a dmax and i was going to upgrade boats so i could use the dmax.

fastone
12-02-2012, 07:41 PM
I really really like the duramaxs trucks too. Then only problems with those are the injectors. If i got one it would have to already have had the injectors changed. If not, it's like 3000+ to replace them.

Dont forget the allison trans. Once you kick up the power, the trans takes a shit. Just look at the Diesel Power Challenge that is put on in Denver by one of the mags. Every year, chevys show up and with all the power trash their allisons.

fastone
12-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Like you said, if buying a 6.0 make sure the EGR delete and headstuds are already done. Big thing would be to see if you can find a ford tech to bring his computer home and meet him. Let him go over the truck with a fine toothed comb. My buddie works at Fuller and had someone bring him a 08 king ranch, bought for 25 with 70,000 miles. Needs headgaskets. When it was all said and done, bill was another 8 grand worth of labor and parts.

Whyucryn
12-02-2012, 08:14 PM
same here dad owned a 06 f150 lariot. was a super nice truck but got about 14.5 mpg and 5.4 made all sorts of topend noise.

i had an 05 gmc 2500HD with the 6.0 before my current duramax and i loved it best gas truck IMO. only sold it cause a good deal fell in my lap on a dmax and i was going to upgrade boats so i could use the dmax.

Exactly. I've drove and towed with a 2005 f150 with the 5.4 and it doesn't compare to the 6.0 in the Chevys in any way. The f150 had 75k miles and the 6.0 had 300k+ miles and the 6.0 would kill that 5.4 in power and in gas mileage and most of all, reliability.

Whyucryn
12-02-2012, 08:18 PM
I guess I just think of the torqushifts as being a tougher and better transmissions without modifications. With a convertor, and a trans cooler I am sure the 7.3 trans could hold up fine. It's not like I would have a 200hp box on it and/or towing a lot of weight.

Agree with you there. I guess withdiesels you have to pay to play...not sure if I want to pay for repairs on a truck I don't HAVE to have. I am leaning towards what what you are saying.

No way you are getting me in a Dodge truck lol. I like function over design.....but damn are those Dodges ugly inside!!! Its like they are stuck in the 80's....I can't get over it. I don't have a dang thing against the Cummin's, but I won't own anything other than a Ford truck. Call me stubborn, but I have tried considering it and I just can't. And the '01 5.4 you are talking about is a little different animal that the newer 5.4's. And if you want anything better than 12 MPG, don't get a 6.0 Chevy lol.

Thanks for the opinions and ideas.

I like Fords too... But if I'm out to spend 20-25k on something, it's going to be something I know is going to be reliable and do everything I might put in front of it. To each their own though

cobraman302
12-02-2012, 08:52 PM
I like Fords too... But if I'm out to spend 20-25k on something, it's going to be something I know is going to be reliable and do everything I might put in front of it. To each their own though

I hear ya, I really do. I'm trying to get an all around quality truck that still has a fair amount of luxary to it to provide a comfortable daily driver and for long trips. I love the exteriors of the chevrolet's personally, but the interiors just don't do it for me at all.

SN95N/A
12-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Hey Rich,If you search around long enough you can find a 6.4 powerstroke for your price range,I still have my 01 powerstroke and it has no issues in the cold weather,Both my 99 trucks had issues,if glow plugs and relay is working properly(all 8 plugs) There should be NO issues with it in the cold,later year 6.0's seem to be a little better but still skeptic on those. Good luck with whatever u get bud.Plus The auto trans are fine unless you beat crap out of them like couple people I know.you dont do that so u be fine.My autos fine.

cobraman302
12-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Hey Rich,If you search around long enough you can find a 6.4 powerstroke for your price range,I still have my 01 powerstroke and it has no issues in the cold weather,Both my 99 trucks had issues,if glow plugs and relay is working properly(all 8 plugs) There should be NO issues with it in the cold,later year 6.0's seem to be a little better but still skeptic on those. Good luck with whatever u get bud.Plus The auto trans are fine unless you beat crap out of them like couple people I know.you dont do that so u be fine.My autos fine.

Good point. My 95 had new glow plugs, relays, harness, and injectors, and it still wouldnt start on its own in sub 20* weather. It was probably low on compression...it smoked like freight train and the truck would rock back and forth for about 30 seconds lol. I really think I would prefer a manual trans 7.3 crew cab 4WD. The MPG on a 6.4 is turning me away from those. I have been reading where most people average about 12mpg in the 6.4's. With the DPF removed and a tune, they may get 14-15mpg.

mustangboy
12-03-2012, 12:49 PM
I have a 2000 7.3/auto and have zero problem with cold start up and have 155k miles pulling a 31ft camper, boats and cars with no issues what so ever.

cobraman302
12-03-2012, 01:33 PM
I have a 2000 7.3/auto and have zero problem with cold start up and have 155k miles pulling a 31ft camper, boats and cars with no issues what so ever.

That's really good to hear. The Excursion?

mustangboy
12-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Yep that would be the Excursion

cstreu1026
12-03-2012, 04:03 PM
If you insist on it being a Ford and don't tow a ton I would suggest coming up with the extra money for a newer truck with the 5.0L vs. an older one with the 5.4L. I have a buddy that just got rid of his 2008 for a 2011 with the 5.0L and he says there is no comparison between the two in anyway. You can get in to a brand spankin' new one for mid 30's so I would think that its possible to get a 2011 for close to your price range.

2007ShelbyCobra
12-03-2012, 08:54 PM
if you get a 5.4, make sure its been taken care of, and listen for lower level knocks. The most common problem ive seen with them, is about 120-150xxx miles, a lot of them get bearings going out and constant knocking. Idk if its main bearings or rod bearings, but I work at an oil change shop and hear it every day

V8Mustang1967
12-03-2012, 09:00 PM
If you insist on it being a Ford and don't tow a ton I would suggest coming up with the extra money for a newer truck with the 5.0L vs. an older one with the 5.4L. I have a buddy that just got rid of his 2008 for a 2011 with the 5.0L and he says there is no comparison between the two in anyway. You can get in to a brand spankin' new one for mid 30's so I would think that its possible to get a 2011 for close to your price range.

I agree. Hell my 2011 with the V6 has more power then the old 5.4s did. That 5.0L or EcoBoost has no comparison!

ibstrokin
12-03-2012, 09:56 PM
I know your stuck on a Ford, but hear me out. I have an 02 GMC 2500 6.0, I bought it used in 04 with 28xxx miles. The truck has been nearly flawless. I have replaced the normal things, battery once, tires twice, brakes once. The only repairs the truck has needed was the idler pulley for the A/C, one brake light, and a brake line, the truck currently has 106,xxx. It's 4wd, and I only get 12mpg, but it pulls anything I need it to, its extremely reliable. It has never left me stranded, and I have never gotten stuck.

This is my second GMC truck, both have been very good trucks. When I replace this truck, it will be with another GMC. As far as the interior, mine is basic, but I like it, I don't require much bling. There are higher grade interior options available.

beefcake
12-03-2012, 10:25 PM
the new 5.0 is doing really well,

as is the ecoboost

thecollector
12-04-2012, 12:01 AM
Here is a pic of what you have to look forward to with ford ownership. As much as you hate the interior of the chevs you better really appreciate the image of a ford with the hood up. For those playing the home version of whats in that pic whom also guessed spark plug porcelain- congrats you won. The losers.... are the poor sobs that own them.

Tune in next week for fpdm rust holes followed by came phasers(jaspers #1 selling service part currently) and the series is completed with exhaust manifold replacement.

Or you could just purchase the solution to your problems and tell your ford buddies the truck wearing the bowtie in your driveway is your company vehicle.

You can also consult consumer reports, vehicle issue is on newstands now-it is not kind to ford trucks...

For the record I am an ex ford line tech who owns a dodge and has previously managed a fleet of high mileage chevys. Prior to leaving the dealership i just assumed all trucks had issues like this.... then i saw the light. This photo was captured from my boroscope the week of thanksgiving.

mad max
12-04-2012, 12:19 AM
Not doubting anyone on any of the comments in here,, but i cant give this damn silverado away. Whats the deal with that ? Had it on craigslist a week and have had one call (which was a scammer).

dsmawd350
12-04-2012, 10:20 AM
there's priced to sell and there's priced to have it for sale...

thecollector
12-04-2012, 11:11 AM
there's priced to sell and there's priced to have it for sale...

That is diplomacy right there.
No one is paying full kbb for trucks when unemployment is 8 percent and its a few weeks till christmas. Be patient- wait till tax time, why sell a sweet appple to buy a sour lemon anyways?

Blackout
12-04-2012, 11:28 AM
I work for D Max and I still think that they are really good engine's. but if you modify an enhance any part of a truck or car for performance, things are going to break, they are not made for that. there are a lot Dramax trucks out there making a lot of power and getting really good gas mileage but the price of the trucks in my opinion are a little ridiculous. I just bought a 2012 Gas Silverado and I am extremely happy with it. So it all just depends on what you like.

As far as pricing, Fords are a lot more expensive unless you have a discount when buying new. But you can land some good deals on used. I just bought my 2012 1 month ago with 2k mi with all options and more for $26k. Sticker was $42 if wondering. So like I said, there are deals out there, you just have to jump on them when they come up.

cobraman302
12-04-2012, 12:06 PM
I work for D Max and I still think that they are really good engine's. but if you modify an enhance any part of a truck or car for performance, things are going to break, they are not made for that. there are a lot Dramax trucks out there making a lot of power and getting really good gas mileage but the price of the trucks in my opinion are a little ridiculous. I just bought a 2012 Gas Silverado and I am extremely happy with it. So it all just depends on what you like.

As far as pricing, Fords are a lot more expensive unless you have a discount when buying new. But you can land some good deals on used. I just bought my 2012 1 month ago with 2k mi with all options and more for $26k. Sticker was $42 if wondering. So like I said, there are deals out there, you just have to jump on them when they come up.

What kind of configuration? ext cab or crew? 4WD? options? Engine? Just trying to get an accurate comparison to an equally equipped F150.

cstreu1026
12-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Maybe if you wait a little longer you will be able to pick up a new GM truck for a song.

http://jalopnik.com/5965170/how-will-gm-ever-get-rid-of-all-those-pickup-trucks?utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_facebook&utm_source=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Blackout
12-04-2012, 01:49 PM
What kind of configuration? ext cab or crew? 4WD? options? Engine? Just trying to get an accurate comparison to an equally equipped F150.

I bought a

2012 Silverado 1500 LT Z71 Ext. Cab 5.3l 6-Speed Automatic/Manual Transmission w/4-Wheel Drive With Full Off Road Package
Power Everything.
Bluetooth radio hands free calling
On-Star & Sirus Sat. Radio
Full Tow Package
Backing beeper and Electric Pedal adjusting
Full Bed liner w/ Tonneau Cover
Running Boards

Who ever bought it first installed these items:
-Window shades / Front Windows Tinted / Rear Tinted Taillights
-Dynomax Muffler

Here is a couple pics

http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae339/mustang46/2012%20Chevy%20Silverado/20121025_175813.jpg
http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae339/mustang46/2012%20Chevy%20Silverado/20121025_175749.jpg

cobraman302
12-04-2012, 02:53 PM
That's a great looking truck. I am really hesitant to pull the trigger on any extended cab truck. I had a 06 ext cab F150 and was a pain to open the rear doors while in a parking lot...how's the Silverado on opening the rear doors in tighter places?

Blackout
12-04-2012, 03:22 PM
That's a great looking truck. I am really hesitant to pull the trigger on any extended cab truck. I had a 06 ext cab F150 and was a pain to open the rear doors while in a parking lot...how's the Silverado on opening the rear doors in tighter places?

Thanks.

I had a 2010 Crew Cab before this one and it was definately nicer for the kids to get in and out. The doors on my 2012 are probaly about the same as your extended cab. But yeah your right about the crew cab. They are a little nicer. And yes are a little bit of a pain in tight places. But I couldn't pass up the deal on my truck.

Basically what I am saying is, find the truck body style that you are interested in just be patient. Chevy has a ton of trucks still on the lots and if that is what your looking for, they will probably be Blue-lighting them soon to make room for the 2014 model year. The 2012 model year is still in over abundance in the lots and with the big anticipation of the 2014 model year, the 2013 trucks are not selling either.

cstreu1026
12-04-2012, 05:19 PM
...they have a backlog of nearly 250,000 trucks in inventory and a new model on the way. They will end up giving huge rebates to clear out the current models if you are patient enough.

cobraman302
12-04-2012, 07:04 PM
So, here is the truth....

I am a Ford guy, through and through. But having said that, I do not knock other makers of vehicles unless it is backed up by facts. Honestly, I have no good reason not to buy a Chevrolet...except for the fact that I feel weird in one and they "feel" cheap made. I'm not saying they are cheap made, and by the looks of the newer models, they actually look very nice. THey just give off a car/suv feel inside. I like a truck to look and feel tough, not like a car. The Fords do that for me.

But, at the end of the day, its not about looks. It's about form and function and reliability. I really do plan on owning this vehicle for many many years. I have blown through 40+ vehicles at my young age of 28...but not anymore. The Fiance is more dead set on a Ford than I really am. If I didnt care about fuel cost, I would go purchase a 2008 6.4 powerstroke and Id be more than happy. But that's not a reality. At the end of the day, all of these trucks pretty much will get the same job done, with about the same MPG except for the 6.4 powerstrokes and the 6.0 gas bow ties. The exception to the rule is a newer ecoboost with a tune from 5 star.

Looks like I am back to square one. Go drive a Silverado or Sierra and see what I think.

I really do appreciate all of the honest feedback and opinions, it helps keep me honest and making a better decision. Not buying something just because it looks good with a blue oval on it.

Whyucryn
12-04-2012, 07:20 PM
You're making a very wise decision, trust me. I don't think the fuel mileage from the 6.0 bowtie is that bad. I know I've towed a 3400lb race car, all our racing stuff, on an open car trailer all the way to Hardinsburg Kentland it wasn't bad at all. It would cost us 50-75 dollars more to make the same trip using the 2005 f150 with the 5.4 And with the 6.0 we couldn't even tell the car and stuff was back there, same can't be said for the f150. It loaded it down pretty good. The first trip down there with the f150 it ended up cracking an exhaust manifold and all kinds of craziness.

cstreu1026
12-04-2012, 09:14 PM
When you put a loaded trailer behind any of them the fuel economy goes right out the window.

ibstrokin
12-04-2012, 09:50 PM
If fuel economy is a major factor, the 2wd versions get 2-3 mpg better than 4wd, and the lighter the better, so ext should be a little better than crew cab. I have a friend that has an 05/06 f150 (75k miles), and it's not a bad truck, but he thinks his cam "phasers" are going out, I guess it acts very screwy at wot. He was told that it was a $2900 repair by a shop, or he could do it himself which would cost $600, and 18 hours to repair.

Generally though, I think 3/4 ton trucks are built better and last longer than 1/2 ton trucks. All of the suspension and brakes are bigger (even the brake line), tougher tranny's, bigger engines, etc.

Also, my 6.0 does burn oil, about a quart every 2500 miles, but my truck doesn't leak a single fluid. I guess LS1's are known for burning oil, but from my understanding, most modern engines burn oil these days. Ive been told that some manufacturers consider 1 quart per 1k miles is within spec, seems crazy.

Good luck

bkstang95
12-04-2012, 10:34 PM
I was in your shoes a couple months ago. I was pretty much dead set on a newer f150 crew. Ended up taking a look at the 5.7 tundra and never looked back. Everything about the truck is nicer (IMO) than the f150s and the motor is night and day better than ford's 5.4. With that being said if it was in the budget i would have bought a new ecoboost f150 crew but those were all in the 30s...

Whyucryn
12-04-2012, 10:54 PM
I've heard nothing but good things about Toyota/nissan trucks as well.

ibstrokin
12-04-2012, 11:26 PM
I could never bring myself to buy a foreign truck, or car for that matter. I guess I'm still old school when it comes to that.

bkstang95
12-04-2012, 11:37 PM
The funny thing about the tundras is they are all engineered/ built in Texas... Where are these fords and chevys being built nowadays?? Lol

ibstrokin
12-04-2012, 11:59 PM
The way I see it, even if foreign cars are made here, the profits go overseas. Also, if those foreign cars weren't bought here, then Americans would buy more American cars, which would mean more American car factories. It looks like F150 are made in Kansas, Silverado's are made in Michigan. I didn't check where Dodge is made.

I'm not giving anyone a hard time, just expressing opinion. The sad truth is, foreign car makers forced American manufacturers to build better products.

cobraman302
12-05-2012, 05:29 PM
All I know is I bought an 06' F150 4x4 5.4 new in 06'...got rid of it for a Lightning in 08'...took the Lightning in for service and they gave me a Nissan Titan for a loaner. What a pile of shit that truck was. I couldnt get out of that truck fast enough. It was faster than the F150 though, it had that going for it, which doesnt take much lol. Not sure about the Toyota's. I would certainly feel more comfortable in a Chevrolet rather than a Toyota or Nissan.

I think I may grab the fiance and go for a test drive in a new Chevrolet Silverado soon. See how the extended casb with a 6.5' bed feels. Then hop ein a newer 5.0 F150 and see how that goes.

2Kblacksleeper
12-05-2012, 08:44 PM
I loved my tundra, 08 crew max 5.7
I never had an issue with it.

2007ShelbyCobra
12-05-2012, 09:34 PM
hahaha, if you buy a Toyota/Nissan truck, might as well paint it purple so it matches the sexuality of whos driving it. Complete joke, rust issues, built cheap as shit. Im under them all the time, you wouldnt believe how many stupid things go wrong like trim and interior pieces falling apart to electrical issues (still not as bad as any GM). If your trying to get a truck to be reliable and get good gas mileage, and your going foreign,, save yourself the trouble and get a Ridgeline, im serious. They have no major issues besides being a joke of a truck.

Just had a well maintained F150 come through today, 218xxx miles, had rust on the bumper and by the gas cap, other than that, great. Underneath everything looked fine, and if I were to get a used truck, it would be a 5.4 F150 with higher miles. All the new vortecs burn oil, not that its a bad thing, but you have to keep an eye on it. Also seen quite a few with head gasket issues and power steering leaks. New dodges, interior is lame, dash cracks and they are just known for rust and transmission issues

V8Mustang1967
12-05-2012, 10:05 PM
I could never bring myself to buy a foreign truck, or car for that matter. I guess I'm still old school when it comes to that.

I am the same way. Everyone thinks they are good cause they opened plants here... They did it to save themselves money and to be able to put more of them on the road here in America. They are dodging a 20% higher importation tax cause of it. Also with all these modern American cars the foreign ones dont compare in my view. Foreign trucks are hideous and lack appeal. I wouldnt ever consider one, but then again like i said i wont own foreign. The new F150 line up is the best line up of trucks out ever. They look good and their interior isnt cheap and ugly like the other brands. If i wasnt going to get a Ford it would be the new Rams. They look great, they have addressed their tranny issues and their interior isnt cheap looking like the Chevys. Chevy for some reason think Boxy cars are in. The Camaro and their trucks are examples of that. I am 100% die hard Ford and i agree the 4.6L and 5.4L were turds.

Also my truck was assembled here in the US! Mine was made in Dearbone!

bkstang95
12-05-2012, 10:53 PM
hahaha, if you buy a Toyota/Nissan truck, might as well paint it purple so it matches the sexuality of whos driving it. Complete joke, rust issues, built cheap as shit. Im under them all the time, you wouldnt believe how many stupid things go wrong like trim and interior pieces falling apart to electrical issues (still not as bad as any GM). If your trying to get a truck to be reliable and get good gas mileage, and your going foreign,, save yourself the trouble and get a Ridgeline, im serious. They have no major issues besides being a joke of a truck.

Just had a well maintained F150 come through today, 218xxx miles, had rust on the bumper and by the gas cap, other than that, great. Underneath everything looked fine, and if I were to get a used truck, it would be a 5.4 F150 with higher miles. All the new vortecs burn oil, not that its a bad thing, but you have to keep an eye on it. Also seen quite a few with head gasket issues and power steering leaks. New dodges, interior is lame, dash cracks and they are just known for rust and transmission issues

Guess I need to get some purple paint...:rolleyes:

It all depends on what you are trying to do with the truck...if you want it to have any towing capacity forget about doing anything with the 5.4...all about what you need out of it. I like Ford as much as the next guy, but for the money the Toyota 5.7 motor/transmission crushes what Ford offers (minus the new ecoboost)

V8Mustang1967
12-05-2012, 11:05 PM
Guess I need to get some purple paint...:rolleyes:

It all depends on what you are trying to do with the truck...if you want it to have any towing capacity forget about doing anything with the 5.4...all about what you need out of it. I like Ford as much as the next guy, but for the money the Toyota 5.7 motor/transmission crushes what Ford offers (minus the new ecoboost)

That 5.7 couldnt handle the 6.2L either

bkstang95
12-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Where are you getting a 6.2 f150 crew for 20k...thats the bottom line...for the money.

2007ShelbyCobra
12-06-2012, 12:27 AM
btw, apologize for mild rant in my last post. Just got off work and had waay to much bs to deal with today. And to add, my dad has a crew cab long bed f350 with a little 5.4 in it, (yes the 5.4 was an option) and its been great. The only real weight its had was towing my 3800 pd taurus, which it towed without trouble, but definitely felt it back there in the gas pedal.

cobraman302
12-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Screw it. I will just buy a mid 90's F150 with a 5.0 in it and throw H/C/I on it. lol

I remember sitting in a Tundra at the Detroit Auto show a few years back...that made me decide to buy a Ford truck again. I am sure they are a great truck mechanically...from what you all say. But, part of wanting to own a vehicle, and being happy with a vehicle...is having one that actually looks good, feels good, and that you are familiar with. Personally, I don't like the asthetics of the foreign trucks...they look and most certainly do feel like they are cheap.

I honestly think right now my order of pref. would be...

1. Wait a year and snag an ecoboost for less than $30k
2. Start looking for a nice 06+ Sierra Denali or Silverado LTZ
3. Revert back to ol faithful 00-02 powerstroke 7.3...

We will see.

thecollector
12-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Id wait more than a year before picking up an ecoboost truck. Same parts as the other trucks with the additional complexity of twin turbos. I wrench on other peoples stuff all day, last thing i want to wrench on is my own junk. Let those trucks get 100k on them with someone else behind the wheel.... and payments. If they still are doing good jump in and get a new one.

Nissan titan=garbage
tundra= need more time, so far just a few steering racks bad. I have no problem with a company making parts and assembling trucks here. If your car is assembled in the usa the first vin # is 1...

cobraman302
12-07-2012, 02:00 PM
Id wait more than a year before picking up an ecoboost truck. Same parts as the other trucks with the additional complexity of twin turbos. I wrench on other peoples stuff all day, last thing i want to wrench on is my own junk. Let those trucks get 100k on them with someone else behind the wheel.... and payments. If they still are doing good jump in and get a new one.

Nissan titan=garbage
tundra= need more time, so far just a few steering racks bad. I have no problem with a company making parts and assembling trucks here. If your car is assembled in the usa the first vin # is 1...

Since you know so much about these trucks.... answer me this.

Why are the silverado's, or really GM's in general, having so many problems with the active fuel management on all their engines? Shutter, and vibrations seem to be a problem with all engines with this feature. There is no truck out there without problems...it comes down to picking out the lesser of the evils.

beefcake
12-07-2012, 06:49 PM

Nissan titan=garbage

you always have the option of an extended service contract

you can get bumper to bumper for 7 or 8 years, and 125,000 miles.

the new ecoboosts have done really well, they put a lot of time and effort into testing them befor release

9cobra4
12-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Yeah the ecoboost engine has been through some brutal testing. Also, a guy I know has a '11 Silverado and is having tranny issues with it, idk if its common or not, just thought I'd post it up and see if anyone else has had any issues with them.

cobraman302
12-09-2012, 01:50 PM
I think I have come to a conclusion. The Chevy's aren't as "tough" as everyone is seeming to make them out to be. And I honestly just think they are built like crap from an asthetic's perspective, althought they have gotten better lately.

I will start the process of selling the Scion my fiance has, I hate that little tC... and give her my Fusion, and look at getting into an Ecoboost F150. It will cost me a little more than I had planned, but it really is a vehicle I will be owning for a really long time. Thanks for all of the opinions, it really helped me realize that I should probably stear clear of the 5.4's. Those seem to be too much of a gamble, some make it 200k, some make it 100k. I know that no vehicle is going to be perfect, but I really do get some confidence from Ford torture testing the Ecoboost in the F150 as much as they did.

It also helps that the truck is boosted and can make a considerable amount of more power just from a basic tune, as well as mpg specific tunes that put the truck into the 22-23 mpg range on the highway with WAY more hp/tq than the V8's.

thecollector
12-10-2012, 01:16 AM
Congrats on making the decision. I dont have it out for the blue oval i wont touch a gm fwd car just trying to offer an opinion from the other side- I do like ford trucks after all they are putting my kids thru college. Hopefully this generation of trucks are better than what has been made the last 9 years. Buy the esp and keep every oil change receipt. Make sure your mods are easy to remove so you can snatch them off and avoid warranty denial. I would still wait a year and see on the new ecoboost. International torture tested the 6.0 psd in 02 until job 1 production began in 03 and we saw how that worked out in federal court.

thecollector
12-10-2012, 01:38 AM
Since you know so much about these trucks.... answer me this.

Why are the silverado's, or really GM's in general, having so many problems with the active fuel management on all their engines? Shutter, and vibrations seem to be a problem with all engines with this feature. There is no truck out there without problems...it comes down to picking out the lesser of the evils.

I have never encountered a vehicle in my past fleets or current customer base with this issue. Its cylinder deactivation on demand in an externally balanced v8 there will be shudders when it drops cylinders out and picks them up. Worst case the deactivation can be written out of the ecm.

To be fair here is my "grudge list" for newer gm trucks.
Tb coking causes idle issues just cleaning the blade takes care of it.
Ethanol in fuel eats the intake plenum gaskets a $20 gasket set and 1.8 labor resolves.
Front wheel bearings wear out faster than fords.
exhaust manifolds have cracking issues not as common or pricey to repair as the fords.
eatc modules go bad in the dash and can be expensive (950). Buy a truck with nobs for climate control- its smart regardless of brand..
water pumps die before 120k. Less than 2 hours labor and $130 part.
Brake lines rust, $125 for 5 ft installed is the going rate outside of a dealer. I just documented a severe low mileage case for the nhtsa but so far no recalls. For some reason none of my previous fleet ever needed brake lines but some of my customers trucks do.
Thats what you can expect to get you to 200k miles outside of factory maintenance.

I tried to post cam phaser and exhaust manifold pics for a ford but they were to large.

cobraman302
12-10-2012, 10:33 AM
I have never encountered a vehicle in my past fleets or current customer base with this issue. Its cylinder deactivation on demand in an externally balanced v8 there will be shudders when it drops cylinders out and picks them up. Worst case the deactivation can be written out of the ecm.

To be fair here is my "grudge list" for newer gm trucks.
Tb coking causes idle issues just cleaning the blade takes care of it.
Ethanol in fuel eats the intake plenum gaskets a $20 gasket set and 1.8 labor resolves.
Front wheel bearings wear out faster than fords.
exhaust manifolds have cracking issues not as common or pricey to repair as the fords.
eatc modules go bad in the dash and can be expensive (950). Buy a truck with nobs for climate control- its smart regardless of brand..
water pumps die before 120k. Less than 2 hours labor and $130 part.
Brake lines rust, $125 for 5 ft installed is the going rate outside of a dealer. I just documented a severe low mileage case for the nhtsa but so far no recalls. For some reason none of my previous fleet ever needed brake lines but some of my customers trucks do.
Thats what you can expect to get you to 200k miles outside of factory maintenance.

I tried to post cam phaser and exhaust manifold pics for a ford but they were to large.

What about these?
1. guage cluster failure, (pick a guage they all go bad) theres an exteded warraty on this just amended to 80k on 03 and 04 models
2. power steering hoses leaking from hydroboost (recall on this one)
3. fuel guage sending unit
4. Intermediate shaft problems
5. Electric 4x4 shitty switch fails on just about all
6. noise in front end, TSB says to shim the frame in the front
7. idler and pitman arm failure
8. xfer case pump breaks loose, spins and shaft and pops a hole in the case.
9. Lights going out in the dash, if its an led, its gonna burn out.
10. ABS Controllers
11. Piston slap/lifter rattle even on low mileage motors?? Normal they say....

My point is, if you search long enough....you WILL find may reasons why you should be hesitant to buy ANY make/model vehicle out there. Including the infamous Hondas/Toyotas. I have owned the beloved Civic's that are soooo reliable and they have their problems as well. But, I can see how the problems on the Chevrolet's would be CHEAPER to fix since they are based on a so much more simple platform/engine. I do like that it is a basic 5.3 motor that is very eay to work on. Pop the hood, and I could literally work on just about anything on a 5.3...not the case with an Ecoboost.

cobraman302
12-10-2012, 11:38 AM
I could go on for days on Chevy problems, as you could apparently go on for days on Ford truck issues. Personally, I think there are more documented engine issues with Fords because the trucks are used more, and there are a hell of a lot more of the trucks out there. Personally, I have never had an engine problem out of ANY Ford truck I have ever owned. Let along the rear mains on chevys leaking, the piston slap on the Vortec's, the oil consumption issue that's "normal". I am reading forums on Chevy trucks where people are saying the newer Chevy's are worse than the older ones. People having purchased Chevy trucks for the past 10-15 years ans are switchign to Ford now after being fed up with their continued electrical and mechanical issues. Quite frankly, you arent the only one that can come up with a 100 reasons not to buy a certain brand. I personally think Chevy makes about the cheapest truck out there, and they look like it too. And there are a LOT of people that love the 5.4's. Yes, they have been known to have cam phaser or spark plug issues, and exhaust manifold problems, I am aware of that. But it sounds like Chevy has equal problems with the trucks.

cobraman302
12-26-2012, 12:02 PM
Just an update for anyone who cares, if anyone lol.

Drove a Chevy, drove a newer Dodge Ram, then drove a 2010 F150 and ended up buying the F150. We decided to pay up a few bucks more and get a 2009+ F150 fully loaded with the newer 6 speed auto trans. The transmission really makes a world of difference in how these trucks drive. Ended up getting a 2010 Crew cab Lariat 4WD. Next up will be a tune, spray in bedliner, and Lock-Pick the factory navigation so it can be used while driving.

SN95N/A
12-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Wheres the pic bud lol

cobraman302
12-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Wheres the pic bud lol

Ask and you shal receive! Got if from Terry at Beechmont Ford, this is a pic of it on the lot. Terry came through again with a smooth purchase. This truck will be in the driveway for a LONG time. And probably getting a little Whipple in a couple of years too lol.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc276/lightningrich/T2eC16hHJHEE9ny2tllBQvbYkvsGg_4_zps98be2a04.jpg

firestang70
12-26-2012, 01:32 PM
Congrats! Looks good.

SN95N/A
12-26-2012, 01:54 PM
Thats nice congrats

mad max
12-26-2012, 03:29 PM
Nice truck man.

dsmawd350
12-26-2012, 04:04 PM
what motor does that have?

Blkcobra01
12-26-2012, 04:17 PM
That is nice one of my favorite styles to congrats.

9cobra4
12-27-2012, 09:22 PM
what motor does that have?

5.4 3V.

The 2009-10 with a K&N CAI and tune runs suprisingly well. Just as peppy as the 08ish Tundra I drove with the 5.7. Farmer Steve's '10 F150 has a K&N CAI and a tune from Ken Bjonnes and it really surprised me how good it ran. It does make A LOT of throaty deep engine noise when you hit the loud pedal though, almost sounds like the thing has a full exhaust on it, but very quiet when you drive it normally.

BTW, last time I checked he had around 60,000+ Miles IIRC, and no problems at all with the truck, besides replacing the factory Pirelli's and the MAF needed a cleaning once.

cobraman302
12-27-2012, 09:32 PM
5.4 3V.

The 2009-10 with a K&N CAI and tune runs suprisingly well. Just as peppy as the 08ish Tundra I drove with the 5.7. Farmer Steve's '10 F150 has a K&N CAI and a tune from Ken Bjonnes and it really surprised me how good it ran. It does make A LOT of throaty deep engine noise when you hit the loud pedal though, almost sounds like the thing has a full exhaust on it, but very quiet when you drive it normally.

BTW, last time I checked he had around 60,000+ Miles IIRC, and no problems at all with the truck, besides replacing the factory Pirelli's and the MAF needed a cleaning once.

Yeah its the 5.4 3V. They run really well with a tune, nothing crazy, but they hold their own. My 06 with a canned tune and intake made 253rwhp and 326rwtq. Not to mention a day and night difference in the transmission shifting strategy. That's more power than a new stock 5.0 puts down in the f150's so that's amore than enough for what I need.

beefcake
12-28-2012, 07:16 AM
thanks again!

V8Mustang1967
12-29-2012, 05:10 AM
hell yeah man! Good looking truck! I absolutely love mine and its the most less options you can get lol!

cobraman302
12-29-2012, 06:07 PM
Thanks, the woman really likes it too. Drives really nice.