PDA

View Full Version : WRITE YOUR ELECTED OFFICIALS NOW!!!!!!!!

Black92LX
12-27-2012, 06:22 PM
While I don't think this has a flying hoot of a chance of passing we still need to let our elected officials know that we will not stand for this and remind them what happened after the last Assault weapon Ban was passed.

http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/assault-weapons

Originally by Diane Feinstein:
Summary of 2013 legislation

Following is a summary of the 2013 legislation:

Bans the sale, transfer, importation, or manufacturing of:
120 specifically-named firearms

Certain other semiautomatic rifles, handguns, shotguns that can accept a detachable magazine and have one military characteristic

Semiautomatic rifles and handguns with a fixed magazine that can accept more than 10 rounds

Strengthens the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban and various state bans by:

Moving from a 2-characteristic test to a 1-characteristic test

Eliminating the easy-to-remove bayonet mounts and flash suppressors from the characteristics test

Banning firearms with “thumbhole stocks” and “bullet buttons” to address
attempts to “work around” prior bans

Bans large-capacity ammunition feeding devices capable of accepting more than 10 rounds.

Protects legitimate hunters and the rights of existing gun owners by:

Grandfathering weapons legally possessed on the date of enactment

Exempting over 900 specifically-named weapons used for hunting or sporting
purposes and Exempting antique, manually-operated, and permanently disabled weapons

Requires that grandfathered weapons be registered under the National Firearms Act, to include:

Background check of owner and any transferee;

Type and serial number of the firearm;

Positive identification, including photograph and fingerprint;

Certification from local law enforcement of identity and that possession would not violate State or local law; and

Dedicated funding for ATF to implement registration

Use this link to determine where to send it
http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-locally/grassroots/write-your-reps.aspx

It does not take long at all to fire off a couple emails, make a phone call or two, and send a letter.

I found this on another site and it is polite and to the point.

In light of the recent Sandy Hook school shooting, some in the media and Congress have begun calling for gun control. I urge you to fight against any such restriction on the rights of law abiding Americans. The loss of life in Connecticut was tragic and saddened us all. But more gun laws are not the answer.

The largest school killing in the United States was committed using bombs in 1927 in Bath, Michigan. Terrorists were able to kill hundreds using box cutters on September 11, 2001. China has incredibly strict gun control and a series of knife and hammer attacks left 21 dead and 90 injured from 2010-2011. More Americans are killed every year by drunk drivers than guns, yet we haven't strengthened our laws against drunk driving, or restricted people's ability to drive cars. I'd like to think that last part is because a sane person recognizes that punishing lawful, sober drivers for the acts of drunks is wrong. I'm not sure why the same logic doesn't apply to gun owners.

Connecticut has very strict gun laws in place and is ranked 5th best in the nation on gun control laws by the Brady Campaign, an organization dedicated to reducing and eliminating private gun ownership. The psychopath killer who murdered those kids did not legally acquire guns himself, so he murdered his mom and stole hers. If she hadn't owned guns, he probably would have murdered a neighbor or a friend's family instead to acquire them. Since 1950, there has been only one mass shooting that did not occur in a place that restricts the lawful carrying of concealed weapons. If you truly want to fix this problem, work to eliminate "gun free zones".

Blaming the tool instead of the wielder is wrong. A gun didn't murder those kids. A sick and twisted individual carried out that act, and if he hadn't been able to use a gun he would have used a bomb, or a knife, or fire. Millions of American gun owners use their firearms for lawful activities like home defense every day. We should look at eliminating "gun free zones", which only stop those who obey the law. Perhaps an examination of our mental health system is in order as well.

If you personally support any measures that restrict the gun rights of law abiding Americans, I solemnly promise to donate my time and money to ensuring you are not reelected. Please remember the midterm elections of 1994, where those who supported the feel good, do nothing "Assault Weapons Ban" were voted out of office. If you compromise on gun rights, I promise not to support you with my time or money going forward.

Please do the right thing. Oppose any knee jerk, reactionary gun control that will only hurt law abiding citizens and won't stop criminals or murderers.

redfirepearlgt
12-29-2012, 02:20 PM
Sent my personal letter into Jean Schmidt this morning. Lot of good it will do. If she spent half as much time representing her district as she does hiding from her district she'd be a ball of fire. Guess she is still gun shy from the John Murtha incident that took place on the floor during her freshman year when she still had a little spunk.