PDA

View Full Version : CCW

Steves LX
01-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Taking my ccw class on the 19th. I hear its a knock down, long, boring 12 hour day. I have been wanting to take this for awhile now. Not sure what I plan to carry yet. Probably a .380 or something of that fashion. We own nothing yet. I also plan to buy a shotgun for the house. Shit maybe even some other goodies. I have been wanting a firearm for 17 years now. I haven't shot since I got out of the Army back in 97. But it wont take long to get back into it. My wife has always been against it. I didn't even have to ask this time. But with what has devoloped over the past few weeks she came to me a week ago and said we need to buy a gun before we cant. I said HELLO.... Dont have to tell me twice. I know she said gun but I am buying gun's!!!

mustang_gt88
01-03-2013, 11:25 PM
The wife and I are going on the 13th to get our ccw, we had a kahr cm40 for the wife and a sig 40. Not sure how much we will carry but it will be nice to have the option.

Whyucryn
01-03-2013, 11:31 PM
Steve, I got a nice AR15 sitting here calling your name! Lol

Steves LX
01-04-2013, 12:54 AM

I bet u do but I dont need anything like that!!

DeckerEnt
01-04-2013, 01:33 AM
Steve...Lets go to a range or somewhere to shoot sometime. Hell, lets get a group. Bring back some good memories and get a feel for whats out there now. Everyone knows I am a gun nut so I will bring a few...LOL!!!!!!!

1baddlx
01-04-2013, 04:16 AM

What brand is it?

90fastgt
01-04-2013, 06:56 AM
I am taking mine on the 19 i have a 380 but i am buying a glock 23 40 caliber to carry

Pops Fun
01-04-2013, 07:41 AM
I am up for a gun day!!!
Got a couple to share :)

jlt2006
01-04-2013, 07:48 AM
I am getting mine on the 19th also. We have a few guns.

Steves LX
01-04-2013, 09:40 AM
I am taking mine on the 19 i have a 380 but i am buying a glock 23 40 caliber to carry

Where are you taking yours at?

blue5.8
01-04-2013, 09:45 AM

how much for the AR

Whyucryn
01-04-2013, 10:22 AM
I don't even know if I truly want to get rid of the AR. With the market right now and how they're selling for double their value its hard not to consider selling it. I bought a m&p15 sport 2 months ago for 660 and sold it last week for 1250. The AR I have now is much nicer than the m&p15. If someone is really interested... PM me and we'll talk

90fastgt
01-04-2013, 11:33 AM
D & g gun shop its here in indiana

RACEME
01-04-2013, 02:45 PM
D & g gun shop its here in indiana

What is their cost and how many hours is the class?

90fastgt
01-04-2013, 03:26 PM
Its a $100 an they give the florida test so its good for like 35 states not sure exactly how many hours i want to say 8-10 an only half of its class other is at the range shooting its in bright indiana

cobraman302
01-04-2013, 06:49 PM
I took my CCW class a few months ago in Milford. It was with "An American Lawman", run by a guy named Fred I believe. He was a Marine, and has been a police officer for over 25 years I think. He was a realllly nice guy, kept the class interesting, and made no assumptions of anyone in the class. Watched some great videos, funny ones at that, and some eye opening ones too. Have us plenty of breaks, class on ended up taking 10 hours if I remember correctly, with about 2 hours of outdoor range time.

Couple more things I liked about him, he charges $90, and $80 if you have a group of 3 or more. Also, you shoot on his property in Milford, outdoors. Also, he's good friends with Jenamy gun shop owner on Dry Run. Jenamy comes in during the class and has about 20 firearms to let you hold and even shoot after the class to see if you like it an if it fits you. You don't need a pistol to take his class, he provides them if you need one. Super cool guy, relaxed, and not some Wierd gun rights freak nut. Just a normal guy that knows how to run a good class.

beefcake
01-04-2013, 10:31 PM
I took my CCW class a few months ago in Milford. It was with "An American Lawman", run by a guy named Fred I believe. He was a Marine, and has been a police officer for over 25 years I think. He was a realllly nice guy, kept the class interesting, and made no assumptions of anyone in the class. Watched some great videos, funny ones at that, and some eye opening ones too. Have us plenty of breaks, class on ended up taking 10 hours if I remember correctly, with about 2 hours of outdoor range time.

Couple more things I liked about him, he charges $90, and $80 if you have a group of 3 or more. Also, you shoot on his property in Milford, outdoors. Also, he's good friends with Jenamy gun shop owner on Dry Run. Jenamy comes in during the class and has about 20 firearms to let you hold and even shoot after the class to see if you like it an if it fits you. You don't need a pistol to take his class, he provides them if you need one. Super cool guy, relaxed, and not some Wierd gun rights freak nut. Just a normal guy that knows how to run a good class.

yep, you took fred and dwaynes class, good guys, they do it at the martial arts center

91boost
01-05-2013, 01:14 AM
My wife and I took ours a month or two ago and just now got our appointment set with butler county to finish the paper work.

FMGT1999
01-05-2013, 02:49 AM
I sure hope you have been saving up because everything as gone up in cost now, what use to be 800 is now 1200-2000 on some rifles and ammo is almost 3x times the cost now. Also most handguns have gone up 25% or more. I would recommend taking Keith up on his offer, also I would suggest you shoot 380, 9mm 40 cal and 45acp to see which one you like the best and then look for a sub-compact for your daily carry sidearm. Personally, I wouldn't go with anything less then a 9mm but that's me. Either way good luck and enjoy the class listen and learn and ask questions, talk to your instructor. It's better to have to explain to 12 than to be carried by 6, if you get my point.

Kyle

Black Horse
01-05-2013, 09:56 PM
Anyone have any reccommendations for a class in western Butler County?

redfirepearlgt
01-06-2013, 12:20 AM
Steve...Lets go to a range or somewhere to shoot sometime. Hell, lets get a group. Bring back some good memories and get a feel for whats out there now. Everyone knows I am a gun nut so I will bring a few...LOL!!!!!!!

I'd be up for this. Saturdays or Sunday afternoons. Been looking at Sig .380's, Ruger LCR 38's, and other options for PC. Need to pick up a 20 gauge as well.

Mista Bone
01-06-2013, 03:50 AM
Only shooting I've done in the past 5+ years has been at the Farm Parties. I greatly wish to get away from my current job so I can go plinking. Shooters between routes with Keith might work.

With my work schedule there are no CCW classes that fit MY schedule. WHEN I leave my courier job #1 thing is to get CCW although I could REALLY use it now.

Steves LX
01-08-2013, 05:02 PM
I picked up a Ruger LC9 this past weekend at the gun show. Good luck finding anything at any of the stores. Everything is on back order and blah blah blah. Its damn near impossible to find 9mm auto as well unless you hit up a gun store and then expect to pay big. You would think the world was ending tomorrow with the way people are acting.

redfirepearlgt
01-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Yes. I have run into the same thing at my local gun store.

cobraman302
01-08-2013, 08:18 PM
I heard that the military is taking the 9mm ammo until about February. Yet another reason not to buy a 9mm in my opinion. Seems like 9mm is some of the hardest ammo to find on average. Found one place that had it, for a friend, and they had a limit of 2 boxes per person.

jeep45238
01-09-2013, 06:52 AM
We have different plants supplying our ammo than the civi market.

It makes 0 sense to have the same plant providing both, especially in times of war - maybe ask civi to help out if things get bad, but definitely not be a first line provider.

Not to mention we chew through 5.56 MUCH MUCH faster than 9mm.

RACEME
01-09-2013, 08:08 AM
Its a $100 an they give the florida test so its good for like 35 states not sure exactly how many hours i want to say 8-10 an only half of its class other is at the range shooting its in bright indiana

Thanks. My daughters boyfriend lives in bright, and wants to get his florida permit.

cobraman302
01-09-2013, 10:02 AM
We have different plants supplying our ammo than the civi market.

It makes 0 sense to have the same plant providing both, especially in times of war - maybe ask civi to help out if things get bad, but definitely not be a first line provider.

Not to mention we chew through 5.56 MUCH MUCH faster than 9mm.

Im just relaying info that I heard from a sporting goods store, and a local gun shop both. I agree with what you are sying.

5.0calypso93lx
01-09-2013, 11:30 AM

Do you have a contact number by chance? This is about 30 secs from where I live.

cobraman302
01-09-2013, 12:57 PM
Do you have a contact number by chance? This is about 30 secs from where I live.

http://www.anamericanlawman.com/cincinnati-oh-concealed-weapon-training-services.htm

His name is Fred Romano. There are like 3 others that could be teaching the class though. I would call this number, 513-237-9423, and see who is instructing which class if it matters to you. All classes are on Saturday and Sundays.

5.0calypso93lx
01-09-2013, 01:54 PM
http://www.anamericanlawman.com/cincinnati-oh-concealed-weapon-training-services.htm

His name is Fred Romano. There are like 3 others that could be teaching the class though. I would call this number, 513-237-9423, and see who is instructing which class if it matters to you. All classes are on Saturday and Sundays.

Appreciate it! :bigthumb

jeep45238
01-09-2013, 08:09 PM
Im just relaying info that I heard from a sporting goods store, and a local gun shop both. I agree with what you are sying.

Having worked in two different local gun shops, and been customers of many - very few of what you hear regarding laws, restrictions, or even firearms, are true.

bangingears
01-09-2013, 08:12 PM
Fred teaches a GREAT class, highly recommend him. Its always better to have an instructor with 20 plus years in law efforcement. Plus just about every cop in three counties knows Fred.

Mista Bone
01-10-2013, 02:13 AM
I believe I just found a place to take my class. All day on a Sunday, my off day, PERFECT!

Brandon Alsept
01-10-2013, 07:13 AM
Fred teaches a GREAT class, highly recommend him. Its always better to have an instructor with 20 plus years in law efforcement. Plus just about every cop in three counties knows Fred.

I agree most everyone I know went threw Fred's class up in Milford.

Rustanggt98
01-10-2013, 11:31 AM
I agree most everyone I know went threw Fred's class up in Milford.

Pretty sure there are two different Fred's teaching in Milford. Ours was Fred Fatute and he taught out of the martial arts building. I would also recommend him.

A buddy of mine at work took Fred Romano's class and gave him a good review.

cobraman302
01-10-2013, 11:37 AM
Thanks. My daughters boyfriend lives in bright, and wants to get his florida permit.

Prepare him for a thorough and LENGHTY application!

Clermont county/Ohio process is easy, I had mine in 7 weeks. But Florida was just crazy, I tossed it to the side for now. Maybe later.

89notch
01-10-2013, 01:09 PM
Prepare him for a thorough and LENGHTY application!

Clermont county/Ohio process is easy, I had mine in 7 weeks. But Florida was just crazy, I tossed it to the side for now. Maybe later.

I have my florida permit and I dont remember it being crazy. Only bad part was getting fingerprint card fllled out at a police department. It was easy for me because my wife works at a police department :lol: I do remember the app being a little long but I don't mind the paperwork for something like this.

beefcake
01-10-2013, 01:11 PM
I have my florida permit and I dont remember it being crazy. Only bad part was getting fingerprint card fllled out at a police department. It was easy for me because my wife works at a police department :lol: I do remember the app being a little long but I don't mind the paperwork for something like this.

my florida was pretty simple as well,

the nice thing about clermont was with fred and dwayne teaching the class, they know them, as they do the cops classes too, i had mine in 6 days.

cobraman302
01-10-2013, 04:12 PM
my florida was pretty simple as well,

the nice thing about clermont was with fred and dwayne teaching the class, they know them, as they do the cops classes too, i had mine in 6 days.

Well then I guess I probably don't remember it all that well then. I think it was the fingerprinting and the fact that I filled out half of it with the wrong color ink or something and I got pissed and put it back in the folder. :doh:

Pops Fun
01-10-2013, 08:44 PM
I have my Utah... lots of states... Fingerprint card and about 8 hours.. OFCC sponsored one in Cbus.

Mista Bone
01-11-2013, 03:32 AM
Anyone taken a class by Andy Davis? Same business address as the other 4 instructors at An American Lawman. He was reccomended to me by a buddy/NRA instructor.

Steves LX
01-11-2013, 10:02 AM
So is this 2 hour movie you have to watch the same movie no matter who's class you take? A couple guys I work with just went thru the class where I'm going and they said the movie they watched was down right boring and from the 60's and 80's. Sounds boring already.

cobraman302
01-11-2013, 10:20 AM
So is this 2 hour movie you have to watch the same movie no matter who's class you take? A couple guys I work with just went thru the class where I'm going and they said the movie they watched was down right boring and from the 60's and 80's. Sounds boring already.

I did not watch a 2 hour movie. Fred actually makes the class really fun, and casual. But he makes sure he get's his points across on gun safety and control.

We watched about 20 clips/videos that were all interesting and some were hilarious. No video longer than maybe 10 minutes. And certainly no video that was really old. He makes his own class, and doesnt follow some generic routine.

redfirepearlgt
01-15-2013, 01:46 PM

Thanks for posting. I will give this guy a call. Sounds like a guy with no ego to stroke unlike that pinhead I tried to schedule with in Miamitown, Ohio. Stay away from that clown and his bouncing Betty over inflated ego counter part unless you just are into the macho crap.

mustang_gt88
01-15-2013, 03:32 PM
I just did my class on sunday thru Tom appel good guy plus class was only 65 bucks

facemelter71
01-15-2013, 03:35 PM
I had to watch the movie. Yes it was boring,but our instructor would stop every now and then,go over some stuff then resume the video. I dont remember it being a 2 hour film though.