PDA

View Full Version : CCW 2/9/2013 ???

redfirepearlgt
01-15-2013, 02:06 PM
I am planning on taking the one day training class at "An American Lawman" in Milford on 2/9/2013. It is $90. The guy was great to speak with and VERY, VERY willing to answer my questions.

If anyone else is looking into doing this, it would be fun or shouls I say more fun to have some fellow SBZ members there that day as well. Just a thought.

This idea of a group event was mentioned in another thread so I thought I would post the invite.

5.0calypso93lx
01-15-2013, 03:00 PM
Chad, I am in. Do you have a link for more info? Is this the one one St Rt 131 at the firemans house? I think if there are 2 or more it's only $80 right?

redfirepearlgt
01-15-2013, 03:15 PM
Yes its the one on 131 James. They said $90 as I understood it, not sure about a group rate. Was just thinking more along hte lines of a get together to do something while winter is on since I was going anyway.

http://www.anamericanlawman.com/

5.0calypso93lx
01-15-2013, 03:22 PM
Yes its the one on 131 James. They said $90 as I understood it, not sure about a group rate. Was just thinking more along hte lines of a get together to do something while winter is on since I was going anyway.

http://www.anamericanlawman.com/

"$80 each for groups of 3 or more."

Let's get one more! I don't see any online registration so it sounds like you have to call and register.

redfirepearlgt
01-15-2013, 06:20 PM
"$80 each for groups of 3 or more."

Let's get one more! I don't see any online registration so it sounds like you have to call and register.

Schedule is on line. Can't sign up on line. Email them to get into the class and then call to followup is how I understand the process. All classes for January are full. 2/9 is the first Saturday class they are offering. I will be calling tomorrow to get into that class. I will speak to them about the discount and how we can qualify for it. Would be nice if we can get another taker or 2,3,4,5... to come along. Would give another meaning to "shoot out". :D

redfirepearlgt
01-17-2013, 10:08 AM
Just got off the phone with these guys. If you are a veterean its $80. IF three or more its $80. This is a chance to go through the whole course in one day. They also have all of the paper work for the Florida license as well.

Go to the website link in the third reply of this thread and call to schedule. Would be cool to have some friends there to go through it with. Thanks James for joining me. Looking forward to it.

Steves LX
01-17-2013, 11:40 AM
Just got off the phone with these guys. If you are a veterean its $80. IF three or more its $80. This is a chance to go through the whole course in one day. They also have all of the paper work for the Florida license as well.

Go to the website link in the third reply of this thread and call to schedule. Would be cool to have some friends there to go through it with. Thanks James for joining me. Looking forward to it.

Man I wish I wouldn't have jumped as quick as I did. I just went to their website for shits and giggles and that class seems to have a lot of extras that could be beneficial. And its 20.00 cheaper than the one out in Brown county. Now after reading all that I wish I would've waited and went through that class. I'd be curious to see if the shoot and move tatics are the same thing that I was taught in the military or if things have changed drastically over the years.

redfirepearlgt
01-17-2013, 11:58 AM
Never can be over trained is what I am hearing. I plan on going to other courses after the CCW is completed to help inbed that knowledge. One thing I have learned is the second time through a training class (on any topic) the more you learn and the more you realize how much you missed in the first one.

Steves LX
01-17-2013, 12:34 PM
Never can be over trained is what I am hearing. I plan on going to other courses after the CCW is completed to help inbed that knowledge. One thing I have learned is the second time through a training class (on any topic) the more you learn and the more you realize how much you missed in the first one.

Heard that and then some. I've had CQC training in the military but that was years ago and I still remember everything I learned and could do it still today. But not even close to the speed I use to be able to do it at years ago. That's the only bad thing about carrying in the civilian world. Unless you live on a farm or have globs of money to go to facilities that offer that type of live fire training every month. Its a skill that is perishable. You have to train month after month to stay proficient with it. The same can be said with drawing your pistol as well as firing it. It's not something you can go do once or twice and master it and never do it again.

Steves LX
01-17-2013, 12:39 PM
Here's a couple videos to watch. This just goes to show what can and does happen. And kinda proves the point of if there would've been someone in the movie theater armed or if I was there I would've done this or that or the other. Things always dont play out like you expect them to. Now these videos were intended for pro gun activists to try to rub it in our faces that we cant help ourselves or society. Which they can kiss my ass. But at the same time there are a lot positives that can be taken from these as well.
http://youtu.be/8QjZY3WiO9s
http://youtu.be/rLN6_s66wTg

redfirepearlgt
01-28-2013, 11:36 AM
This is now less than two weeks away. Would love to have some fellow SBZ associates there who wish to join in. They will provide a weapon for you at no cost if you don't have one yet or wish not to bring yours. You will only be required to pay for ammo in addition to the course fee. As it stands $90 for each, $80 for veterans and groups of three or more. There are two interested at the moment. I am a veteran either way, but for those not this would save $10 for those interested. They have free donuts and coffee as well. As they stated in a letter I received from them..."After all we are cops."

Pitbull1052
01-28-2013, 11:43 AM
I think I can make it and am a vet as well

redfirepearlgt
01-28-2013, 12:39 PM
that would be great pit. Calypso 5.0 would make three and this way he could get in for $80 as well. Would love to have other commit. Thanks.

Pitbull1052
01-28-2013, 01:12 PM
What are you guys gonna be shooting

redfirepearlgt
01-28-2013, 01:17 PM

I'm bringing a .357 revolver and a .380 subcompact. May also bring a 9mm pistol and an old .22 rim fire revolver as well. Want to have them explain the features on the 9mm. It's a Barreta with about 6 buttons. I've never shot it. Dad only shot it 20 yearsa go when he bought it from the guy adn can't remember anything on it either. Will get teh model number as well and seek out the manual. It statys unloaded until we can better learn the button features. He got it in a good deal years ago along with another gun he wanted. The guy would not split the sale. The .22 was my great uncles. Just want to shoot it for fun.

Pitbull1052
01-28-2013, 01:25 PM
Is it just a baretta 92f or fs? I've been wondering what the best Cal to use for the class i don't have anything currently but have a few options

DeckerEnt
01-29-2013, 02:02 AM
For a CCW class, the weapon doesnt matter. You just have to hit the target 11 out of 20 rounds. At least that what it is here in Ky.
It is normal for them to record the serial number from the weapon you bring but that is just for insurance reasons for the instructor. Bring something you can hit the target with. What you carry after you get the permit has nothing to do with what you use in the class.

5.0calypso93lx
01-29-2013, 08:58 AM

Just bringing my Ruger SR9.

redfirepearlgt
01-29-2013, 09:16 AM
Is it just a baretta 92f or fs? I've been wondering what the best Cal to use for the class i don't have anything currently but have a few options

No idea on the Barretta Model. I've seen it briefly. Though its 20+ years old, I would assume it is likely still in production. Doubt it has seen much action. It was bought frm a guy who collected. He has since passed.

redfirepearlgt
01-29-2013, 09:17 AM
For a CCW class, the weapon doesnt matter. You just have to hit the target 11 out of 20 rounds. At least that what it is here in Ky.
It is normal for them to record the serial number from the weapon you bring but that is just for insurance reasons for the instructor. Bring something you can hit the target with. What you carry after you get the permit has nothing to do with what you use in the class.

Thanks for posting Keith. Good to know. Sounds like I need to obtane some 357 ammo. :D

Steves LX
01-29-2013, 09:37 AM
Well after you guys get done with your class and get your license. If anyone is interested you can come join me on 4/13/13 out in Blanchester for the Advance CCW course. Its a 3 hr course on a Saturday from 12-3 all range time. The website doesn't state this but I talked to them yesterday and they will also teach you firing from inside and around a vehicle. Here's the link for it.http://www.dadefense.com/classes/advanced-ccw-class/ You guys will find that the CCW class is as basic as basic gets. Check out the link I put up and they require a 35.00 deposit. It says 50.00 but once you click on that class and choose deposit it says 35.00. Be sure to click on pics/videos tab up at the top and watch all those.

jlt2006
01-29-2013, 12:02 PM
Well after you guys get done with your class and get your license. If anyone is interested you can come join me on 4/13/13 out in Blanchester for the Advance CCW course. Its a 3 hr course on a Saturday from 12-3 all range time. The website doesn't state this but I talked to them yesterday and they will also teach you firing from inside and around a vehicle. Here's the link for it.http://www.dadefense.com/classes/advanced-ccw-class/ You guys will find that the CCW class is as basic as basic gets. Check out the link I put up and they require a 35.00 deposit. It says 50.00 but once you click on that class and choose deposit it says 35.00. Be sure to click on pics/videos tab up at the top and watch all those.

This sounds great, but I am not counting on KY having my permit to me by then, took class the same day you did. Was told they are taking the full 90 days to get them out from the state and thats not counting the time after getting the cert to the sherriffs office. I figure if I have mine by end of May, I will be happy.

Steves LX
01-29-2013, 12:22 PM
This sounds great, but I am not counting on KY having my permit to me by then, took class the same day you did. Was told they are taking the full 90 days to get them out from the state and thats not counting the time after getting the cert to the sherriffs office. I figure if I have mine by end of May, I will be happy.

Holy shit batman. I dropped my stuff of at the sheriff's office at 9:30AM that Tuesday and they called me the next day at 1:00PM and said come get my license.

cobraman302
01-29-2013, 02:40 PM
Took me a full 6 weeks to get my license in Clermont county. An American lawman doesn't have a requirement of a certain # of shots hitting a target, just demonstrate that you can safely operate a firearm. Don't something or someone, and you are golden lol. You will have fun in the class, he's a real nice guy.

Steves LX
01-29-2013, 02:49 PM
Took me a full 6 weeks to get my license in Clermont county. An American lawman doesn't have a requirement of a certain # of shots hitting a target, just demonstrate that you can safely operate a firearm. Don't something or someone, and you are golden lol. You will have fun in the class, he's a real nice guy.

Yeah i've heard that about clermont. There were 5 of us that turned our stuff in that Tuesday to Brown county and everyone had theirs by Thursday same week.

Steves LX
01-29-2013, 03:11 PM
A good website forum only for Ohio ccw holders is http://www.ohioccwforums.org/ There's a lot of good info on this forum for current holders and future holders.

5.0calypso93lx
02-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Locked in!

redfirepearlgt
02-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Locked in!

Awsome James. I confirmed as well. Hopefully Pitbull will be committing and we have three to lower your cost to $80. Look to see you there. I will likely be in a silver supercab F150 1999 model. See you guys there.

Anyone else ???? Get signed up, there's still some time.

5.0calypso93lx
02-04-2013, 03:32 PM
Awsome James. I confirmed as well. Hopefully Pitbull will be committing and we have three to lower your cost to $80. Look to see you there. I will likely be in a silver supercab F150 1999 model. See you guys there.

Anyone else ???? Get signed up, there's still some time.

I'll be in my blue Saturn Vue baby mobile.

Steves LX
02-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Not sure how big of a hurry any of you are to get your stuff approved once you take the class. But for those if any that live in Clermont that are taking the class I would go to Brown County to submit your stuff. They are super quick. I have 2 friends that live in Clermont that just finished the course. They went to Brown to submit their paper work. One dropped his stuff off this past Saturday and got his license Monday. And the other dropped his on Monday and got his license yesterday. As long as you are clean they seem to have a 1 day turnaround.

redfirepearlgt
02-06-2013, 01:29 PM
I want mine yesterday. Crime in this area is going up. Wish I could get my wife on line with learning to be comfortable with a weapon.

5.0calypso93lx
02-07-2013, 10:22 AM
Chad, not sure if you got Fred's email last night, but there is now some confusion on the location for the class this saturday, Feb 9th. The website says the class is being held at the Fireman's Memorial Hall on 131, but the email he sent last night says:

"Just a few last minute reminders about the concealed carry class

The class this Saturday Feb 9th will be held at the Hilton Garden Inn located just off the Wards Corner Rd exit of I-275. Directions are listed below. Class starts at 7:30 am, we'll have coffee, donuts, pop, water and other snacks and refreshments there. Feel free to bring whatever you want to eat or drink. There will be plenty of time to go out for lunch or you can bring your lunch."

I sent him an email asking for clarity. I'm going to call him tonight if I don't get an answer through email today.

redfirepearlgt
02-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Chad, not sure if you got Fred's email last night, but there is now some confusion on the location for the class this saturday, Feb 9th. The website says the class is being held at the Fireman's Memorial Hall on 131, but the email he sent last night says:

"Just a few last minute reminders about the concealed carry class

The class this Saturday Feb 9th will be held at the Hilton Garden Inn located just off the Wards Corner Rd exit of I-275. Directions are listed below. Class starts at 7:30 am, we'll have coffee, donuts, pop, water and other snacks and refreshments there. Feel free to bring whatever you want to eat or drink. There will be plenty of time to go out for lunch or you can bring your lunch."

I sent him an email asking for clarity. I'm going to call him tonight if I don't get an answer through email today.

I got the same email James. I'll try to reach him this morning as well. Just called and left him a message. Hope it is at this location. Makes my get up time 5-10 minutes later. Every minute counts when you don't hit the pillow until 1:00am after work.

5.0calypso93lx
02-07-2013, 10:40 AM
I got the same email James. I'll try to reach him this morning as well. Just called and left him a message. Hope it is at this location. Makes my get up time 5-10 minutes later. Every minute counts when you don't hit the pillow until 1:00am after work.

See, I was hoping the opposite :lol: I live right off of 131 right now. Either location is fine though, both are really close.

5.0calypso93lx
02-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Just got a response back from Fred that it is in fact at the Hilton Garden Inn.

redfirepearlgt
02-07-2013, 12:49 PM
Just got a response back from Fred that it is in fact at the Hilton Garden Inn.

Cool........see you there.

redfirepearlgt
02-10-2013, 04:22 PM
Great class. Great time. Reccomend these guys to everyone. These guys know their stuff, they are professional, know how to keep the class from becoming a grind, and show a lot of respect for their clients (the attendees) regardless of their level of gun background.

I highly recommend Fred Ramano of An American Lawman for your CCW course requirement needs. The entire team was wonderful to deal with.

We co-eds (UC student females), young couples, rednecks, marine vets, old geexers, grandma's, gun enthusiasts, beginners, etc., in this class and at no time was there ever a moment when anyone was made to feel ignorant or belittled. That says a lot for a class of 60 people being taught by a great group of cops (retired and active).

Thanks Calypso 5.0 for joining me.

mean5.0
02-10-2013, 05:59 PM
U guys in ohio are lucky. Took my class in November and I still haven't got
Got mine. Hoping for it this week.

redfirepearlgt
02-10-2013, 08:23 PM
U guys in ohio are lucky. Took my class in November and I still haven't got
Got mine. Hoping for it this week.

Took me months when I was in INdiana to get that one back in 1994. It expired and I could not renew it after moving to Ohio in 1995 as I understood it at that time due to leaving Indiana. Hopefully this will not be as painful. I waited weeks for that one after it was approved months after applying.

5.0calypso93lx
02-11-2013, 10:11 AM
Chad, what county are you going to go through to submit your paperwork?

Steves LX
02-11-2013, 10:28 AM
Chad, what county are you going to go through to submit your paperwork?

Seeing how you have to apply in an adjacent county. If I was you and you are in a hurry to get yours. I would go to Brown County in Georgetown. You could call their this morning get an appt for tomorrow and have it on Wednesday. According to some Cleremont has been taking 6-8 weeks. Not sure how true that is. Just rumor that has been going around on several ohio ccw forums. Heres Brown's website for directions and phone #. http://www.browncountyohiosheriff.us/

5.0calypso93lx
02-11-2013, 10:40 AM
I think I'm going to setup an appointment with Hamilton county. I'm downtown on tuesdays so just going to setup an appointment on a tuesday. I'm already almost out in Owensville now and Brown County Sheriff is still 45 mins east of me.

Steves LX
02-11-2013, 11:02 AM
I think I'm going to setup an appointment with Hamilton county. I'm downtown on tuesdays so just going to setup an appointment on a tuesday. I'm already almost out in Owensville now and Brown County Sheriff is still 45 mins east of me.

Very true if you are that far away and downtown already.

Yellow98Cobra
02-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Clinton County is fast as well. Got mine in a week.

redfirepearlgt
02-12-2013, 01:04 AM

Took a few tries today but I got through and have an appointment for 2/27. That's the earliest day I could get in. FYI our instructors offer advanced courses.

Pops Fun
02-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Got mine in Hamilton county. Not counting parking, painless and I had it it a week.. My renewal was about 3 days.

Steve