PDA

View Full Version : Trade in/whole sale value

PKFIRE
01-20-2013, 01:48 PM
What is a good way of finding a honest trade in value on a vehicle?I brought my truck to two different places and the price difference was pretty large.

leroy93lx
01-20-2013, 01:55 PM
Most dealers use Blackbook wholesale pricing for trade ins. I typically go to KBB and NADA guides to get a base average before getting dealer quotes. Then you atleast have something to go on. The better question is what YOU want out of your vehicle. They will either deal or they won't!

sean
01-20-2013, 02:16 PM
Its a tough thing because theres a wide variety of sales people out there and some are shady and some arent. The first thing you need to do is to find a sales person you know and trust. I am a sales guy as is terry (beefcake) and I know there are a few more on here that you could trust. The sales guy isnt the one putting the number on your car but hes who you have to deal with on numbers. If you want a real number get a trade price on your car before you look at anything. Its very easy to show big numers for your car by "playing with the numbers" if you pick out something already. Take some from what you want and put some into your ride and all of a sudden they are showing you 5000 for your crappy focus that the last place showed you 1000 for. Car max from what I have heard does a pretty fair job on putting numbers on cars. When we put a number on a car we are usually right on with them.

Timido
01-20-2013, 02:42 PM
Find the car you want to buy first. Figure out what you want to pay for that car first and what you want to get for your trade. I would not even mention a trade until you figure out the price of the car you want to buy. Stand tall with what you want to get I am sure this time of year sales are hard to come by.

Timido
01-20-2013, 02:47 PM
Every new car I have bought I have walked away from a couple dealers until they took my deal. Every time my deal went through it was the last day of the month. Take edmunds price and cut money off that.

Pitbull1052
01-20-2013, 03:33 PM
I sold cars for about 10 years and here's what I know most people don't do all the little things to their trade before they try to trade it. They look at Craigslist nada kbb etc and think that their cars are above average. Any good car guy can devalue a car pretty easy so make sure its clean make sure you know all the little things wrong with it so you are aware and they can't use it against you. Check kbb its pretty accurate for a public source. Nada was made to determine a retail value for banks and insurance companies and comes out annually the black book like others have said is made for dealers by guys at the auctions and are updated weekly. No two used cars are alike so all the books are just a guide.

PKFIRE
01-20-2013, 03:37 PM
Its a tough thing because theres a wide variety of sales people out there and some are shady and some arent. The first thing you need to do is to find a sales person you know and trust. I am a sales guy as is terry (beefcake) and I know there are a few more on here that you could trust. The sales guy isnt the one putting the number on your car but hes who you have to deal with on numbers. If you want a real number get a trade price on your car before you look at anything. Its very easy to show big numers for your car by "playing with the numbers" if you pick out something already. Take some from what you want and put some into your ride and all of a sudden they are showing you 5000 for your crappy focus that the last place showed you 1000 for. Car max from what I have heard does a pretty fair job on putting numbers on cars. When we put a number on a car we are usually right on with them.

I went to Carmax and they were 12.5 percent higher than the dealer we bought the truck at. They even spent extra time looking at the vehicle.

redfirepearlgt
01-20-2013, 04:48 PM
I know Mr. Reeves will be shocked but I feel I got a good trade value for my 05 from Beechmont Ford. Was not unhappy with the dealership as a whole or the salesrep. Just some personal differences after the fact between Mr. Reeves and I on opinions non related.

Sean is one I consider a good acquaintance and would also feel comfortable working with. Of course he does havea fetish with Dinosaurs and Vettes, but I won't hold that against him :rolleyes: :D

Go to either one of these guys Joe. But regardless do your homework and look up the NADA values. That is what I use as my guideline and seems most fair when compared to Edmonds or Kelly Blue Book.

Don't expect them to give you a deal they will lose money on, but have some confidence knowing that they will trade fairly with you. Knowing NADA is simply doing your homework either way. It's not meant to offend either of these guys or any other on the site who sells that I am not aware of. Just good business sense to be prepared. Any respectable sales rep (like these two) will respect you for that IMO.

Mongoose
01-20-2013, 07:43 PM
Blackbook changes just as the seasons do. Example....don't try to trade in a sports car in the middle of winter. You'll get raped.

Dtony
01-20-2013, 07:52 PM
Your best way is have a friend in the business. I have a very good buddy that gets me the Manheim (spelling) auction prices before I trade. This is what all dealers use these days.

I just traded my 2011 Chrysler 200, My first offer from the dealer was a horrible low ball. I called my buddy and he looked up the Manheim auction sales for me while I sat in the dealership. That ended up getting me $1800 more due to having the actual auction data.

sean
01-20-2013, 08:54 PM
main thing I guess is dont go into the place you want to buy your car at with an attitude. Be polite and not a know it all. Even if you feel you know it all. Understand that sales people are only paid on commission for what they sell. I have told people that get a little silly about pricing that when you leave you will feel like you got a good deal. I am going to make some money off of you because thats how I support my family and you are going to save some money buying from me so you can continue to support your family. I saw that the most un trusted people were used car sales people. We were the worst next was the government. People trusted the government more than me. I take offense to that. There are def some low life places so do your homework and know what your willing to do. Also as far as picking out your new car timido is right and so am I. Do not work a deal involving a trade. Either hold it until the end or go to the dealership with only the intention of selling your car to them. Those two are the only way you will see the true number for your car. But in the end the deal is the deal. Know what you want to be around to be happy. x amount for your car and x amount for the one your buying. Most people are payment buyers and want the lowest payment possible and that will also affect all the numbers. Bottom line is whats your amount financed. Thats the number that says it all. I dont care if they show a dollar for my car and take 6000 off theirs. As long as the amount I am financing is where I want it to be im good. Its not a big game and theres no sorcery or deception. Its coming to terms that you both can agree on and you can afford.

Sorry to be a bit off topic but your question is easy. Check nada, edmonds, kbb, craigslist, COMPLETED adds on ebay. Understand that where your selling it has to re sell it and make some money. Be reasonable and flexable and you will be happy. If you want a new turbo f150 let me know... I have a black crew.lol

PKFIRE
01-20-2013, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the input guys. The truck has been good to me but it hard to see this and my Mustang battle on which car I need to sell. So I chose the truck to sell since I enjoy the mustang more. The truck only has 15628 miles on it and it is an 08.
BTW Sean good sales pitch on the F150,lol. I think my family would be in more of a market for a Edge or Escape when we are ready to get a bigger family vehicle.

PKFIRE
01-20-2013, 09:55 PM
Your best way is have a friend in the business. I have a very good buddy that gets me the Manheim (spelling) auction prices before I trade. This is what all dealers use these days.

I just traded my 2011 Chrysler 200, My first offer from the dealer was a horrible low ball. I called my buddy and he looked up the Manheim auction sales for me while I sat in the dealership. That ended up getting me $1800 more due to having the actual auction data.

It's always nice to know people. It's great you were able to get more for your car.

Dtony
01-20-2013, 10:22 PM
It's always nice to know people. It's great you were able to get more for your car.

Thanks, the only reason I tossed that out there is sometimes a friend can really help if they are in the business. Like was mentioned these guys have to make a living, but getting an honest number for your trade is important.
My buddy has helped me a lot in the past 5 years, I have definitley saved a lot of money with his help.

mad max
01-20-2013, 11:16 PM
Sean , can you pm the details on that black turbo f150 .

PKFIRE
01-22-2013, 10:31 PM
Sold the truck tonight, the driveway seems so empty.