PDA

View Full Version : Keeping all bangerz and familys in thoughts...

mustangjon
01-21-2013, 03:49 PM
Hope noone or their families in the massive pileups in 275 and 75... the one's right outside my house lucky the other half and kids werent on road yet:angel:

2007ShelbyCobra
01-21-2013, 04:44 PM
saw this on facebook, unbelievable. I was driving by my place, and ill admit for about 5 minute minute period, it was close to a white out. Probably had 200ft of vision or less sometimes.

beefcake
01-21-2013, 08:38 PM
i couldn't believe how many cars involved in the accidents

PKFIRE
01-21-2013, 11:52 PM
Unbelievable! Can't believe how many cars wrecked today. They had 275 shut down on my way home even at 5:30 tonight. I feel terrible for the families of the victim.

Gongshow
01-22-2013, 12:32 AM
Unreal complete disaster. Someone I know got squished between 2 trucks. Got lucky because the car is gone.

redfirepearlgt
01-22-2013, 12:36 AM
JK Truckin just happened to beout of town and missed driving today. He's thankful as well.

So sad to hear a 12 year old lost her life in that mess. Fortunate there weren't more fatalities.

I drove from my house to Kyles Gunshop for some ammo at 10am. Never knew that there was anything but a flurry stirring the whole time I was out. Seemed to have been rather isolated. Glad your family was not out there Jon.

DeckerEnt
01-22-2013, 02:30 AM
Someone posted a vid driving by the wreck and the first thing you saw was someone performing cpr on someone. So sad...

Mista Bone
01-22-2013, 03:33 AM
Jon, I didn't have white out conditions as I was getting onto 275 from Hamilton going towards TriCounty right after it happened. I knew something was up when Forest Park squad was going WB. I knew it was slick but no one was slowing down. Everyone headed WB was still going 65-75 mph once onto 275. I knew we were on black ice, but everyone kept haulin ass.

When the snow was falling the UNTREATED roads were cold enough the snow didn't stick and was blowing around. EXCEPT where the cars were running and it was quickly melted and refroze quickly causing the black ice.

As the news reported the 12 yo girl that was killed got out of the car she was in and was killed when a steel cable snapped from being hit at the end of the wreck. I can assume it cable whipped and tossed her some distance to where she didn't survive.

Myself, I was IN the downburst from Hamilton Ave until I bailed at Mosteller when WOFX broke into a song to report the accident.

Please keep all the families in your thoughts and learn to slow down!

Mista Bone
01-22-2013, 04:00 AM
the WCPO news reports

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/traffic/VIDEO-Scene-of-fatal-I-275-crash-that-involved-more-than-70-vehicles

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/news/region_west_cincinnati/colerain/kenwood-man-tried-to-be-good-samaritan-during-i-275-pileup-by-attempting-to-revive-12-year-old-girl

Mista Bone
01-22-2013, 04:04 AM
This is what people were driving 70 mph in.....

http://media2.wcpo.com//photo/2013/01/21/snow_20130121181438_640_480.JPG

duststang
01-22-2013, 08:22 AM
this is crazy, it happen in Kentucky also.

Katmandu
01-23-2013, 12:13 AM
This is what people were driving 70 mph in.....

http://media2.wcpo.com//photo/2013/01/21/snow_20130121181438_640_480.JPG
People can be freakin insanely STUPID !

Any you guys remember "The BIG one" up here near Tipp City 2-24-1990 ? I was there.... 49 cars involved. 9 people burned to death.

It to was caused by white out conditions.

DATE: February 25, 1990
PUBLICATION: Dayton Daily News (OH)
EDITION: CITY
SECTION: MAIN
PAGE: 1A

Nine people - including at least one child - died just out of the reach of rescuers in a fiery crash on ice-slickened Interstate 75 near Tipp City Saturday.

About 40 people were believed to have been injured, officials said. "We had people yelling, but we couldn't get to them," said Lowell Hampton, chief of Tipp City Emergency Services, who arrived at the accident five minutes after it happened about 4 p.m.

"We heard people screaming, but we couldn't even see the cars. It was like night" because of the intense smoke, he said.

Hampton said it was the worst accident he's seen in his 26 years in law enforcement. The scene was engulfed in fire and smoke, and explosions - apparently from gasoline tanks.

The first officer at the scene was Highway Patrol Trooper Gary Mitchell of Piqua, who said it was "just total chaos" when he arrived. Because of the fire and smoke, he said, "I couldn't get close to it."

Mitchell said he believes the accident was caused by a "white-out," a complete loss of highway visibility because of blowing snow.

Highway Patrol officials said two tractor-trailers and at least 15 vehicles were involved in the accident, which occurred in the northbound lane of the interstate, just south of the Ohio 571 interchange. All the deaths apparently occurred at the scene.

At 8:30 p.m., rescue crews fighting bitter wind and cold were tearing the remains of cars apart with their bare hands to remove charred bodies.

Several cars involved in the accident were pinned under the tractor-trailers. Many of the cars were gutted by fire, and a number were crushed like accordions.

The names of the dead were unavailable.

Larry Fisher, administrator of Stouder Memorial Hospital in Troy, said 45 injured people, "the vast majority of whom did come from the one main accident," were brought to the hospital between 5 and 6:30 p.m. Two were transferred to Miami Valley Hospital in critical condition, and two children were taken to Children's Medical Center. Their conditions were not available.

Fisher said most of the other 41 patients had been treated and released by 9 p.m., and no admissions were expected. He said the hospital was not releasing patient names.

Fisher said the hospital worked with the Red Cross to provide overnight shelter for 12 to 15 of the released patients at Trinity Church in Troy. "Some of them lost their transportation because their car was involved in the accident," he said.

The hospital chief said Stouder Memorial called in four additional doctors as well as extra nursing staff, and opened up additional treatment areas to cope with the influx of patients.

Dr. Martin Murphy, president of the Hipple Cancer Research Center in Kettering, saw the accident scene about 5:20 p.m. while driving in the single southbound lane of I-75 that was open to traffic.

"It's as bad as any accident I've ever seen," Murphy said.

He said the two tractor-trailer rigs jack-knifed across northbound I-75.

"One of them had been completely burned. . . . Sandwiched between these tractor-trailer remains and the cement median, there were four or perhaps five personal vehicles that were entirely charred.

"There was no paint visible. There was just blackened remains that were crushed between the tractor-trailer rigs and abutting the cement medians."

Calling the scene a "catastrophe," Murphy added, "It was very heartwarming to see the number of passersby who stopped - not out of curiosity - but out of compassion, to try to lend aid. The human spirit was really brought out there. But there were a lot of grim faces when they saw that wreckage."

Murphy said he drove south through ghastly weather toward Dayton from St. Marys Saturday, but all that changed when he reached the Vandalia area on southbound I-75, where "the weather was seductively clear and the roads were dry.

"I could understand why someone going northbound (on 75) . . . without forewarning . . . could have hit that - it must have been a terrific patch of ice," Murphy said. He described the driving conditions from St. Marys to Vandalia as "a complete white-out, with the powerful wind and the whipping of the snow all around you. At times visibility approached zero."

Another witness said luggage from the burned-out cars was strewn across the roadway. "It was a holocaust," he said.

Police, fire and rescue units responding to the scene included crews from Vandalia, Bethel Twp., West Milton, Troy, New Carlisle and Tipp City, in addition to the state patrol.

While emergency crews dealt with the disaster in Tipp City, they also had to contend with a slew of other accidents caused by treacherous road conditions in Miami County.

At 5:30 p.m., a spokeswoman for the Miami County sheriff's department said the news media were being asked to "please tell the Miami County residents to stay home . . . in the last five minutes, we've gotten five accidents."

She said that flurry included a pile-up on U.S. 40, about a mile west of Ohio 235, "that started out as two cars, but now is up to six." She said the sheriff had closed several roads in the county because of icy conditions.

Copyright, 1990, Cox Ohio Publishing. All rights reserved.

Illustration: COLOR PHOTO: Rescue workers comb the wreckage on Interstate 75
near Tipp City Saturday where nine people died and 40 were injured
CREDIT:BILL REINKE STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER

Katmandu
01-23-2013, 12:26 AM
Weather people are forecasting for more white out conditions tomorrow between 3-6 PM.