PDA

View Full Version : Who's ever heard of, or shot a "Mare's Leg"?

Stangman
02-04-2013, 04:33 PM
I just learned about this special little gun by watching episodes of Steve McQueen's old TV show Wanted Dead or Alive, and I am already anxious to own one. I love love love cowboy guns, more than any other type of firearm.

I would love to find a .44-40 Winchester 1892 Carbine with the large loop'd lever, and the saddle ring, cut it down and have a legit Mare's Leg, but that's a lot of money! And a pipe dream!

I have been eyeing the Rossi Ranch Hand, in a .45 long colt.... closest to a .44-40 I could find without paying a hefty price.

What do you all think?

Goober
02-04-2013, 04:49 PM
I just learned about this special little gun by watching episodes of Steve McQueen's old TV show Wanted Dead or Alive, and I am already anxious to own one. I love love love cowboy guns, more than any other type of firearm.

I would love to find a .44-40 Winchester 1892 Carbine with the large loop'd lever, and the saddle ring, cut it down and have a legit Mare's Leg, but that's a lot of money! And a pipe dream!

I have been eyeing the Rossi Ranch Hand, in a .45 long colt.... closest to a .44-40 I could find without paying a hefty price.

What do you all think?

Plus cutting one down without the proper paperwork and tax stamps is a HUGE felony if you take the overall shorter than 26" and/or the barrel shorter than 16".

Stangman
02-04-2013, 05:08 PM
Exactly. Something like a $200 tax to do it, plus paperwork involved.

My next question is, since the rossi's are sold as "lever action pistols" is it illegal to cut one down even more? The replicas aren't quite as accurate as they should be. Barrel needs to be about an inch or so shorter and the buttstock about 3 inches.

facemelter71
02-04-2013, 06:20 PM
What you are wanting to do, is walking a very fine line with the ATF. A line I dont EVER want to be near.

A tax stamp for a suppressor is fine,but modifying a weapon like this. NOP.

ibstrokin
02-04-2013, 06:27 PM
Henry makes "mare's Leg" pistols also. They are great quality and 100% American made. Check them out.

dsmawd350
02-04-2013, 06:37 PM
https://www.wmbrownholster.com/images/Wanted%20dead%20or%20alive%20003.JPG

mustangboy
02-04-2013, 07:49 PM
I think money toward a welding certification would make alot more sense:confused:

Goober
02-04-2013, 08:38 PM
Exactly. Something like a $200 tax to do it, plus paperwork involved. $200 per mod, IIRC. And wait for the paperwork to go through before touching it with a saw.

My next question is, since the rossi's are sold as "lever action pistols" is it illegal to cut one down even more? The replicas aren't quite as accurate as they should be. Barrel needs to be about an inch or so shorter and the buttstock about 3 inches.

AFAIK, cut away if it is registered as a pistol. It just like a grip reduction and slide/barrel swap on a Glock (like a 35 to 22 slide/barrel swap). I would contact your regional BATFE field office for written verification of the law before chopping it.

Black Horse
02-04-2013, 09:50 PM
I shot a true mare's leg many years ago when I was visiting a friend out west.....damn thing kicked like a horse. With the short barrel the accuracy sucked. He also had the full length loop handle "rifle man" (if anyone is old enough to remember that tv show) carbine. I was a sweet shooter but a tad heavier than I expected.

Stangman
02-04-2013, 10:21 PM
I think money toward a welding certification would make alot more sense:confused:

I was in a foul mood for a few days. Stewed on it for a while, blew off some steam, now I feel better.

I'm going to keep sticking it out where I'm at, try to finish some cars, and go from there.

But I have never personally owned a gun. And I have never wanted a gun more than this one. Plus the brown holster.

Stangman
02-04-2013, 10:22 PM
What you are wanting to do, is walking a very fine line with the ATF. A line I dont EVER want to be near.

A tax stamp for a suppressor is fine,but modifying a weapon like this. NOP.

Buying them from Henry or Rossi the way they are is 100% legal. Its sold as a pistol.

facemelter71
02-05-2013, 12:06 AM
I understand that part. But taking a saw to a barrel is some thing I wont do unless I'm over the 16 inch mark. And the barrel needs to have a professional cut it if that's what your after.

Stangman
02-05-2013, 08:36 AM
I understand that part. But taking a saw to a barrel is some thing I wont do unless I'm over the 16 inch mark. And the barrel needs to have a professional cut it if that's what your after.

Well yeah I would never attempt it myself and chance ruining it.

Moody
02-05-2013, 08:42 AM
there is one at Deadwood guns and ammo in carlisle in 45lc.... I think its a Henry

Stangman
02-05-2013, 09:18 AM
Where's that at?

Nvm I see now. Carlisle.

Timido
02-22-2013, 03:39 PM
i shot a henry .22 mares leg. To goofy for me.